Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-16-2023, 12:54 PM   #46
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305869 View Post
I'm not a fan of hyphenation but I can't think of a good reason to remove a feature instead of just adding a setting to turn it off.
Each feature added is also added complication. Neither Kindle or Kobo offer hyphenation on/off. And for Kobo it is de-facto off for kepubs.

But yeah, I miss it on my Nook.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 12:56 PM   #47
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I like the Nook hardware too. They make some nice readers. But their software makes me want to weep.
I like some things about Nook software. I like the UI of it and I like the big covers in library view. If I could control series and shelves for sideloaded content, I'd be happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230616_170434374.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	773.3 KB
ID:	202076  

Last edited by ZodWallop; 06-16-2023 at 01:11 PM.
Advert
Old 06-16-2023, 01:32 PM   #48
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I like some things about Nook software. I like the UI of it and I like the big covers in library view. If I could control series and shelves for sideloaded content, I'd be happy.
OTOH I don't care about covers at all, in fact I'd prefer a list without covers, like Kindles had in times of yore. What I hate about the Nook software is the slowness and the lack of customization options. Even Kindles have too few options for me. I'm fussy, and I want my display and settings look just right. All my Kobos have been heavily patched in addition to default options.

You'd think KOReader would be my dream software then, but for some strange reason I don't particularly like KOReader. I prefer heavily customizable native software.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 01:37 PM   #49
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see Pyle's Robin Hood stories on your reader. My old childhood favorite, in an excellent Estonian translation. I read the book literally to ribbons. A few years ago I bought a new edition.
Old 06-16-2023, 03:10 PM   #50
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I see Pyle's Robin Hood stories on your reader. My old childhood favorite, in an excellent Estonian translation. I read the book literally to ribbons. A few years ago I bought a new edition.
I bought the Signet Classics edition of his Robin Hood and King Arthur. Signet is part of Penguin Random House and with these being illustrated books I figured I should stick with a big publisher. The versions I tried from Project Gutenberg were a mess.

I was going to make a joke about how you could see the book because Nook shows those nice big covers. But then I realized they are only on my Kobo!
Advert
Old 06-16-2023, 03:33 PM   #51
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I was going to make a joke about how you could see the book because Nook shows those nice big covers. But then I realized they are only on my Kobo!
Old 06-16-2023, 04:47 PM   #52
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I see Pyle's Robin Hood stories on your reader. My old childhood favorite, in an excellent Estonian translation.
I had to read this twice, because I missed an "s" - made quite a difference

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 06-16-2023 at 04:50 PM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 06:04 PM   #53
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
These two win my prize for "most dense text". More words-per-page than I could handle. My eyes (and brain) get lost trying to figure out where my current reading position is.

You two have good eyes, and good concentration!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...42&postcount=1

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=20
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 04:09 AM   #54
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
These two win my prize for "most dense text". More words-per-page than I could handle. My eyes (and brain) get lost trying to figure out where my current reading position is.

Thank you. I have actually had very poor eyesight all my life. I read with my glasses on, as without glasses I'd have to hold my device basically against my nose. But with glasses I see quite well.
Old 06-17-2023, 04:23 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post

It just looks normal to be. Now you can see why I find a Kindle to have spacing that's too wide.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 06:43 AM   #56
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Me on a Forma. The settings are non standard, as I patch.

Name:	IMG_2269.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	968.9 KB
ID:	202081
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 06:45 AM   #57
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Me on a Forma. The settings are non standard, as I patch.
Attachment 202081
Just curious, were those spaces between paragraphs put there by the publisher or did you put them there?
Old 06-17-2023, 06:50 AM   #58
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My mom on her Sage.

Name:	IMG_2270.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	999.1 KB
ID:	202082
Old 06-17-2023, 07:14 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Just curious, were those spaces between paragraphs put there by the publisher or did you put them there?
The paragraph spaces are not in The Witch King.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 07:33 AM   #60
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I put them there.