Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-23-2023, 05:41 AM   #16
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Just entered the following prompt into ChatGPT:

"write a thread on an ebook discussion board about the feasibility of ai-generated variants of popular novels for different age groups. please write in dialogue form with 4 participants"

Here's what it came up with:

Participant 1: Hey everyone! I've been thinking about the potential of AI-generated variants of popular novels for different age groups. Do you think it's a feasible idea?

Participant 2: Hmm, that's an interesting concept! AI has come a long way in generating content, but when it comes to novels, I'm not sure if it can capture the essence and creativity of human authors. What do you all think?

Participant 3: I have mixed feelings about this idea. On one hand, AI could provide fresh perspectives and introduce new ideas to classic stories. It might even make reading more engaging for younger audiences. But on the other hand, I'm worried about the loss of the human touch and the potential for generic and formulaic narratives.

Participant 4: I see both sides of the argument. AI could potentially create adaptations of popular novels that are tailored to specific age groups, making the stories more accessible and enjoyable for young readers. However, I'm concerned about the potential loss of creativity and originality in these AI-generated variants. Can AI really understand the depth of emotions and nuances that authors pour into their work?

Participant 1: That's a valid concern, Participant 4. Human authors bring their unique perspectives, life experiences, and creativity to their novels. AI may struggle to replicate that level of depth and authenticity. But maybe there's a middle ground where AI-generated variants can coexist with traditional novels, offering a different reading experience for those who prefer it.

Participant 2: I agree with the idea of coexistence. AI-generated variants could be seen as a complementary addition to the literary world rather than a replacement. They might even introduce younger readers to classic novels they might not have otherwise discovered. However, we should be cautious about relying too heavily on AI and losing the value of human creativity.

Participant 3: Absolutely, Participant 2. It's important to strike a balance. AI-generated variants could serve as a starting point, sparking curiosity and interest in reading, but it shouldn't overshadow the importance of human-authored literature. We should encourage young readers to explore a wide range of books to truly appreciate the beauty of storytelling.

Participant 4: I completely agree. AI-generated variants could be a useful tool to engage younger readers, but we should never underestimate the power of human imagination and the emotional connection that comes from reading a novel crafted by a human author. It's essential to preserve the artistry and diversity of literature.

Participant 1: Well said, Participant 4. It seems we're in agreement that AI-generated variants could have their place in the literary world, but we must be cautious about their limitations and potential impact on the overall reading experience. It's an interesting topic to ponder, and I'm curious to see how the future of literature unfolds with advancements in AI.

Participant 2: Absolutely! The future is unpredictable, but it's exciting to consider the possibilities. As long as we remain mindful of the importance of human creativity and maintain a diverse literary landscape, I think AI-generated variants could be an intriguing addition to the world of literature.

Participant 3: I'm glad we had this discussion. It's always fascinating to explore the intersection of technology and art. Let's keep an open mind and continue to appreciate and support the work of human authors while exploring the potential benefits of AI-generated variants for different age groups.

Participant 4: Agreed! It's been a thought-provoking conversation. Let's continue to embrace new ideas while cherishing the rich tradition of human-authored literature. Who knows what exciting developments await us in the future?
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 05:59 AM   #17
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sure we'll soon see future classics of children's literature like the following:

could you write a version of game of thrones for seven-year-olds, with unicorns replacing dragons?

ChatGPT:

Title: "The Magical Kingdom: Quest for the Enchanted Unicorns"

Chapter 1: The Unicorn Princess

Once upon a time, in the Magical Kingdom, there lived a brave and kind Unicorn Princess named Seraphina. Seraphina had a heart full of love for all the magical creatures of the kingdom. Her loyal unicorn companion, Sparkle, was always by her side.

Chapter 2: The Land of Mysteries

In the Land of Mysteries, where castles were made of candy and flowers whispered secrets, Seraphina learned that a wicked sorcerer named Shadowclaw had stolen the enchanted unicorns. The magical balance of the kingdom was in danger, and Seraphina knew she had to act.

Chapter 3: Gathering the Fellowship

Seraphina sought the help of her friends, the Forest Elves, and the Mischievous Gnomes. Together, they formed a brave fellowship to embark on a quest to rescue the unicorns and restore peace to the land.

Chapter 4: Trials and Adventures

The fellowship encountered various challenges along their journey. They braved treacherous forests, crossed sparkling rivers, and solved riddles from talking trees. Seraphina's kind heart and Sparkle's magical horn helped them overcome every obstacle they faced.

Chapter 5: The Sorcerer's Lair

After a long and perilous journey, the fellowship reached the Sorcerer's Lair, hidden deep within a dark cave. They faced Shadowclaw's minions, the Night Shadows, but with bravery and teamwork, they managed to defeat them.

Chapter 6: The Enchanted Unicorns

Finally, Seraphina and her friends reached the chamber where the stolen unicorns were kept. Shadowclaw had enchanted them, but Seraphina's pure love and Sparkle's magical horn broke the spell, setting the unicorns free.

Chapter 7: A Kingdom Restored

With the unicorns now returned to their magical meadows, the kingdom flourished once more. Seraphina and her fellowship were hailed as heroes, and the Magical Kingdom celebrated their bravery and unwavering friendship.

Epilogue: Forever Magic

Seraphina and her friends continued to protect the Magical Kingdom and all its enchanting creatures. They shared many more adventures, bringing joy, and spreading love wherever they went. And so, the land remained forever filled with magic and wonder.

Note: This adaptation of "Game of Thrones" aims to create a child-friendly and age-appropriate story, emphasizing themes of friendship, bravery, and the power of love. Unicorns replace dragons to align with the magical and whimsical nature of the story for younger readers.
Advert
Old 05-23-2023, 06:17 AM   #18
Pierre Lawrence
Connoisseur
Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, nook
Truly astonishing examples. From the first post you get the impression ChatGPT "knows" it's under attack in some quarters, and provides reassurance that it is not intending to replace, but assist human writers. Nonetheless how well the ideas are expressed speaks for itself, especially the flow and flawless grammar. And to think we're in the early days of this technology!
Pierre Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 07:20 AM   #19
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlite View Post
It would never be possible to discuss a story, because everyone would have read a different one. Probably with a different ending.
We have that already. It's called politics.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 07:56 AM   #20
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post

"write a thread on an ebook discussion board about the feasibility of ai-generated variants of popular novels for different age groups. please write in dialogue form with 4 participants"

[...] Hmm, that's an interesting concept! [...]

I see both sides of the argument. [...]

That's a valid concern, Participant 4.[...]

I agree with the idea of coexistence. [...]

Absolutely, Participant 2. [...]

I completely agree. [...]

Well said, Participant 4. It seems we're in agreement[...]

Absolutely! [...]

I'm glad we had this discussion. [...]

Agreed!
ChatGPT doesn't understand humans at all.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2023, 08:26 AM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's just scraped human comments and human programmed algorithms. It has no understanding of anything.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:28 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I'm sure we'll soon see future classics of children's literature like the following:

could you write a version of game of thrones for seven-year-olds, with unicorns replacing dragons?
My Little Pony crossed with Disney Princess Fan Fiction. It's just stuff copied off the internet, chopped up and reassembled.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 10:12 AM   #23
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
My Little Pony crossed with Disney Princess Fan Fiction. It's just stuff copied off the internet, chopped up and reassembled.
My point exactly. Made me yawn after the first few lines. Just thought I might as well leave it here after I had made it made. What's a bit depressing, though, is that so much stuff written by humans isn't that much better.

Last edited by doubleshuffle; 05-23-2023 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-23-2023, 10:33 AM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:

Here's what it came up with:
ChatGPT clearly doesn't understand humans. Where's the sniping, willful misunderstanding and pointless, long-winded diversions into the minutia of some minor part of some comment?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 10:35 AM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

It would have been funny if ChatGPT halted it in the middle and told you to check back in a decade for the rest
Old 05-23-2023, 10:50 AM   #26
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Lawrence View Post
Truly astonishing examples. From the first post you get the impression ChatGPT "knows" it's under attack in some quarters, and provides reassurance that it is not intending to replace, but assist human writers. Nonetheless how well the ideas are expressed speaks for itself, especially the flow and flawless grammar. And to think we're in the early days of this technology!
Even if ChatGPT has no intention to replace, the people who profit from ChatGPT may have another thought...
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 11:32 AM   #27
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
ChatGPT doesn't understand humans at all.
Yeah. Way too reasonable, eh?
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 11:40 AM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
It would have been funny if ChatGPT halted it in the middle and told you to check back in a decade for the rest
Now THAT is funny.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 02:36 PM   #29
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
My point exactly. Made me yawn after the first few lines. Just thought I might as well leave it here after I had made it made. What's a bit depressing, though, is that so much stuff written by humans isn't that much better.
I fully agree. And it sounds exactly like those nonsense articles written for the sake of clicks using SEO.

Let's say I want to know how much protein there is in feta cheese, and I google "protein feta cheese". Invariably I'll run into articles that start with useless fluff like "Protein is one of the most important macronutrients in a human diet ..." - I don't care, just give me a number. Instead the article will give me useless background information and random facts about protein and feta cheese and Greece in an annoying word salad.

It's no wonder those people are impressed. They've been practising writing like machines for many years now. Of course they'll get beaten by the real thing.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 02:50 PM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
Let's say I want to know how much protein there is in feta cheese, and I google "protein feta cheese". Invariably I'll run into articles that start with useless fluff like "Protein is one of the most important macronutrients in a human diet ..." - I don't care, just give me a number. Instead the article will give me useless background information and random facts about protein and feta cheese and Greece in an annoying word salad.
Oh man, I hate that.