Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-05-2023, 05:27 PM   #1
Lavinia Rsearch
Lavinia Rsearch began at the beginning.

Device: desktop
Exclamation Hello and please HELP (quick survey TO HELP SMALL PUBLISHERS improve)

Hi!

I am doing my MBA project about how small publishers can improve content, findability and branding and how they can help readers suffer less from overchoice (being overwhelmed and having difficulty deciding when there are too many choices available and even causing you to be dissatisfied with the selected option) and have 1 week to collect data.

Could you help me by taking an ANONYMOUS, remote 9 minutes online survey about your preferences, experiences and beliefs? https://nv1hb1shve3.typeform.com/to/BcbDpSs7

No personal, sensitive or confidential information is required. Your data will not be shared with any third party and there are no controversial, sensitive, shocking or any other type of possibly harmful elements in the survey.

WHY am I asking YOU?

Your passion for reading and online presence make you more knowledgeable about the digital publishing industry. Your engagement to sharing your opinions in this online community makes you more articulate about your experiences. Your rate of reading means you are the one suffering the negative effects of overchoice the most.

Pretty please let me know if you need more info. And if you are an author and are curious about what the results will be let me know and i will post what the general consensus of the participants was.

Many thanks,
Lavinia
Lavinia Rsearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 05:05 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
IF you ever experienced overchoice*, please rank the following strategies for reducing it from 1 most effective to 6 least effective. This question is required. *

*being overwhelmed and having difficulty deciding when there are too many choices available, leading to possible dissatisfaction with the chosen option
That, IMO, isn't the major issue with publishing or buying books.

Issues:
  1. Geo-limited publishing especially in English due to world market carve-up making titles (paper or ebook) unavailable as the publishers for other regions have no obligation to take a contract, or existing one may be exclusive.
  2. Poor print quality on paperbacks
  3. Poor or excessive formatting on fiction ebooks
  4. DRM
  5. Amazon exclusivity (Self Pub and small publishers). Large publishers are not affected by KDP/KU rules set by Amazon.
  6. Google, Apple, Amazon etc eBook retail prices set by publisher/author. They should set a price to the Retailer and then retail web site should charge any price.
  7. Misleading Blurbs
  8. Misleading or too many Tag Categories
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2023, 05:17 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also survey has problems:
On lists of 1 to 5 rank, is 1 lowest/worst or highest best?
No don't care for this topic or don't rank this item.
No progress visible. I gave up.
I think other issues too.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:12 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
That, IMO, isn't the major issue with publishing or buying books.

Issues:
  1. Geo-limited publishing especially in English due to world market carve-up making titles (paper or ebook) unavailable as the publishers for other regions have no obligation to take a contract, or existing one may be exclusive.
  2. Poor print quality on paperbacks
  3. Poor or excessive formatting on fiction ebooks
  4. DRM
  5. Amazon exclusivity (Self Pub and small publishers). Large publishers are not affected by KDP/KU rules set by Amazon.
  6. Google, Apple, Amazon etc eBook retail prices set by publisher/author. They should set a price to the Retailer and then retail web site should charge any price.
  7. Misleading Blurbs
  8. Misleading or too many Tag Categories
I agree except for the paperback issue as I don't read paperbacks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 08:13 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I gave up because the survey was a hassle. The software was not all that easy to use. Also, some answer are N/A and I cannot either rate them as such or ignore them.

I hardly use social media to go find books to read. So that part is useless.
Advert
Old 04-06-2023, 09:32 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I did the survey, but I agree it had problems. There's no option to ignore a question, if it's non-applicable. I also don't use social media, so that part of the survey was useless to me.

And overchoice has never been a problem for me as a reader. It's a problem for authors and publishers. So the premise as such was not applicable to begin with.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 09:34 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

As it stands the survey will give a misleading answer.
Old 04-16-2023, 10:45 PM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I technically use "social media" but the only ones I use are Tumblr and Discord, and neither of them is going to welcome publishers trying to advertise more. (Is Discord social media? I have no idea.)

A good portion of the questionnaire is useless - "what makes a publisher's website more appealing to customers" (or whatever the exact phrasing was) is not something you find out by asking individual customers what they like most, because plenty of people will say "I would buy things if they cost less" and then won't buy them when prices are lowered. Or they'll say "I'd buy more if there were reviews on the books" and again, that's not what actually drives sales.

DRM was not an answer for any of the questions. Format ("ebook, audiobook") was mentioned, but not filetype. (I'm not buying fiction in PDF.) And format was mentioned as an option - one factor among many - rather than "If it's not available in a format that's useful for me, I'm not buying it; doesn't matter how much I might want to read it."

It keeps mentioning "social media" like that's a single thing, or all interchangeable. Like there's no difference between "I follow some book rec feeds on Twitter" and "I'm in some private forums that have book discussions." (Note that publishers can see the former; they can't see or influence the latter at all.) (Most of my actual book recs in the last couple of years have come from a private chat focused around an online dragon game.)

It mentions "influencers" like there's any agreement at all about who those are.

It didn't even ask "how many books do you normally buy in a year?" So it's giving the same weight to answers from someone who reads one or two books in a year, based on celebrity recommendations on TV, vs someone who buys a few books every week based on recs at SBTB and the Hugo Book Club Blog.

This questionnaire will mostly serve to reinforce the biases that went into making it, because there's no options to mention different approaches to finding & buying books.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 06:53 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I don't use social media to find books to read. So all of that is useless.
Old 04-17-2023, 08:27 AM   #10
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I opened the survey. Got irritated by the slick user interface that seemes to be more about looks than functionality. Got to the first question and came to the conclusion that this was not for me...
Can't say "overchoice" is something I worry much about, so I can't add anything useful.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote