Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-25-2023, 01:49 PM   #76
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Google (Playstore Books) and Amazon also allow publishers to specify DRM-free, except the Amazon KFX (default for apps and for Kindle direct downloads) is always encrypted.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 01:57 PM   #77
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsharma View Post
Oh, and don't forget about your local library! A lot of them have e-books and audiobooks you can borrow through apps like OverDrive or Libby. All you need is a library card, and you're good to go! Plus, it's all legal and free. )
Not every country has local libraries where you can borrow ebooks and read them on your eink reader. My country doesn't, for example. There are plenty of people out there who don't live in the US and Western Europe.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2023, 03:10 PM   #78
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Does that make my comment clearer?
A bit. But it's still not the simple, DRM-free, device agnostic format that digital music purchases are. And it would be easy to do. They just chose not to for what I think are spurious reasons.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 03:11 PM   #79
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Google (Playstore Books) and Amazon also allow publishers to specify DRM-free, except the Amazon KFX (default for apps and for Kindle direct downloads) is always encrypted.
Yeah, I left out Amazon because of their formats and Google Books because I haven't used them.
Old 04-25-2023, 04:14 PM   #80
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Did you read what you wrote?

I found it odd and still find it odd that you would claim that Kobo books only work on Kobo devices and Google Play books only work on Android devices when both use Adobe ADEPT DRM for DRMmed ebook downloads. B&N is an outlier since it used a variant on Adobe's ADEPT DRM with a different decryption key.

Does that make my comment clearer?
Also, Kobo sells DRM-free books. If you download them through the website, you get a plain ePub. I think Google Play is the same.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2023, 04:58 PM   #81
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Also, Kobo sells DRM-free books. If you download them through the website, you get a plain ePub.
Yeah, same with B&N (Kobo has the advantage that you can download directly from their website and the downloads aren't buried in a hidden folder).

I just wish that were the rule rather than the exception.
Old 04-25-2023, 05:07 PM   #82
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, same with B&N (Kobo has the advantage that you can download directly from their website and the downloads aren't buried in a hidden folder).

I just wish that were the rule rather than the exception.
Their regular DRM is such a pain to defeat that it scared me away from ever buying ebooks from B&N. Which is a pity, because I think the Nooks are good devices, and I patronize their brick-and-mortar stores regularly.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 08:55 PM   #83
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
Their regular DRM is such a pain to defeat that it scared me away from ever buying ebooks from B&N. Which is a pity, because I think the Nooks are good devices, and I patronize their brick-and-mortar stores regularly.
You can buy a Nook and load it up with books from elsewhere.

i used to buy from Amazon, but never owned a Kindle.
Old 04-25-2023, 09:00 PM   #84
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
One of the newer Kobo firmwares also has a sideload mode which doesn't require an account.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 03:57 AM   #85
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You can buy a Nook and load it up with books from elsewhere.
Don't they reserve part of the storage on some Nooks for B&N books only?
Old 04-26-2023, 04:06 AM   #86
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
They work if you understand DRM-removal. Otherwise Kobo books only work on Kobo devices, B&N books only work on Nooks and Google Play books only work on Android devices.
Not true except maybe for B&N. Kobo and Google use (or at least they did when I last bought from them - not very recently) regular Adobe DRM. So with ADE you can get them to any authorized devices.
(An FWIW, i have Google Books on an iPad as well as on Android. Bought a book that really needed bigger screen and colour to give it justice)
Having said that, DRM free is absolutely easier! I did a quick check on Google Books (or whatever the name is nowadays) and the Swedish books are DRM free as in other book stores, but the English ones have Adobe DRM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:09 AM   #87
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Don't they reserve part of the storage on some Nooks for B&N books only?
Yes. They seem to learn to stop doing it and then it is back with a vengeance.
Old 04-28-2023, 12:50 AM   #88
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Have new Kindle devices removed text-to-speech and mp3 playback functionality to push for Audible integration?
neil_swann80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 06:30 AM   #89
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I don't know that they ever sensibly supported MP3.
The oldest ones had plain TTS and sort of badly supported MP3. Later Kindles had a sort of voice view accessibility feature, really hard to use, that could do TTS also, but not easily MP3. Some like PW3 work with a generic USB audio adaptor (because the 3.5mm jack socket removed) and needed a download. Ones with BT just needed paired BT earphones, which IMO are mostly inferior to €12 wired earbuds/phones. Some of those do Audible.

But MP3 and Audible are better on a phone. Possibly TTS is better on a phone too*. Pocketbook app TTS on Android is better than TTS on DXG, KK3, PW3, Oasis gen 2 and PW4.

Pocketbook App with TTS works on Android 6 to current (I tested 6, 7, 8, 10, 11) and I think on iOS.

Possibly the Kindle app on Android does TTS, but I haven't tested, because if you have an eink Kindle then it's trivial to convert to epub with Calibre (from separately downloaded Amazon files) and use Pocket book. Obviously use the Audible app for for Audible.
I use Musicolet for MP3s and DRM-free audiobooks on Android as it can remember position and is very good.

* Battery life isn't a huge issue for a phone as the display is blank (dramatically improved), but is dramatically poorer on eink because the ereader can't sleep. However I've not done a comparison.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-28-2023 at 06:33 AM.