Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-20-2023, 12:18 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Oh, I hear people saying they read "real books", but often they use that term because they don't have a better one. They don't do it because they think it's "superior", but because they haven't tried any alternative besides audiobooks. Maybe they've tried reading on their cell phone, and if that would be the only alternative to paperbooks I can totally understand why they prefer "real books". I probably would too! As soon as they understand how a dedicated eReader works they tend to realize that it's pretty much the same thing as reading a "real book" and that's it. We can then move on to arguing/discussing about what genres or authors are "worthy" of our attention...
Perhaps you're right. Very, very few people here have ever seen an ereader or know what it is. They think it's the same as your average tablet.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 12:50 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I never said I paid much attention to them. But the pushback was there from the beginning. Whenever I shared that I had adopted ebooks, the book-petters and book-sniffers came out of the woodwork to voice their disdain.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2023, 12:53 PM   #18
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes. I've met enough people who say "I like to read REAL books". They may not consciously feel superior, but the fact they use the word "real" speaks pretty loudly.

I've even seen people using the phrase "real books" (meaning paper) among the MR members.
Seeing as eBooks or audiobooks are often used for accessibility, I can also see a touch of ableism in it.

This was in a cozy mystery I read and it almost made me hurl my reader into a wall:

Quote:
After making sure that his passengers were comfortable in the back of the luxurious car, he’d steer the majestic sedan over the winding roads leading to Storyton Hall. During the scenic drive, he’d gently and courteously remind the guests of the resort’s restrictions on technology.

“Storyton aims to be a place of peace and tranquility, a place conducive to reading. Therefore, all electronic devices may only be used in the privacy of one’s room. No computers, cell phones, handheld games, or e-reading devices will be allowed in the public areas. Ignoring this request could lead to an early termination of one’s stay.”

Occasionally, a guest protested, saying that he or she was expecting an urgent call. “May I suggest using room service until your call comes through?” the chauffeur would respond pleasantly.

Other guests would insist that they needed their e-readers to increase the font size of the books they wished to read, but their driver would have a solution for that conundrum as well.

“I recommend you acquaint yourself with Storyton’s vast library. Sinclair, the head librarian, can direct you to an impressive selection of large-print books.”

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-20-2023 at 12:55 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 12:57 PM   #19
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I never said I paid much attention to them. But the pushback was there from the beginning. Whenever I shared that I had adopted ebooks, the book-petters and book-sniffers came out of the woodwork to voice their disdain.
"How dare you adopt a new technology for something as basic as reading a book!"
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:02 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Seeing as eBooks or audiobooks are often used for accessibility, I can also see a touch of ableism in it.

This was in a cozy mystery I read and it almost made me hurl my reader into a wall:
Why would anyone want to visit such a hidebound place?
Advert
Old 03-20-2023, 02:06 PM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
That book (Murder on the Poet's Walk) sounds awful (based on what's been quoted).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 02:10 PM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I've even seen people using the phrase "real books" (meaning paper) among the MR members.
I stand and attest that indeed I have very likely been one of those hateful and hurtful spewers of the phrase 'real books' here on MR. But there was no malice in it. Paper books have been THE format for so long, that when discussing them as something different than ebooks or audio books, the phrase 'paper books' just doesn't leap to mind.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 03-20-2023 at 02:38 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 02:30 PM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I stand and attest that indeed I have very likely been one of those hateful and hurtful spewers of the phrase 'real books' here on MR.

Coming from you, no one would take it amiss. I meant people specifically mentioning real books as opposed to ebooks. I don't actually remember who those people were, I just remember reading such stuff in more than one post.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:31 PM   #24
ashort
Connoisseur
ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 10th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
The fact that someone posts this kind of defensive "paper is best" bakvaas in a forum explicitly focused on other reading media nicely illustrates the point. There is no "best" - reading matters, not the medium.
Calm down, you gonna have a heart attack.
ashort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:07 PM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Eh, I have no issue with the term "real books" and I know I've used it here. Real v. virtual, what's the problem? By objecting to the term "real books" you're just buying into the mindset of the paperites.

"Ebooks aren't real books." *sniff*
"You're right. Ebooks are virtual books."

It's the responder who owns that exchange. At a minimum, it forces the paperite to define terms.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:19 PM   #26
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That book (Murder on the Poet's Walk) sounds awful (based on what's been quoted).
It was actually the first book of the series and there was a serious part that just made me go seriously WTF?

Spoiler:
Apparently there's a big family secret involving them being book-protectors for hidden manuscripts

The first few chapters were just a standard cozy, then the fat aunt had a stroke and she's like "HERES THE FAMILY SECRET" and it turned into James Bond with the protagonist getting ninja lessons

Looking at the goodreads reviews (filter to 1 and 2 stars) a lot of other readers were confused too
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:19 PM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Eh, I have no issue with the term "real books" and I know I've used it here. Real v. virtual, what's the problem? By objecting to the term "real books" you're just buying into the mindset of the paperites.

"Ebooks aren't real books." *sniff*
"You're right. Ebooks are virtual books."

It's the responder who owns that exchange. At a minimum, it forces the paperite to define terms.
Paperite.

It's the meaning that counts, IMO. If you, ZodWallop or any other old, longtime member here who is well known to read and like ebooks uses the phrase "real books", of course I would not take offense. I doubt I'd even notice. What's objectionable is someone specifically using "real books" to diminish or belittle ebooks or audiobooks. As in "I prefer real books", "Nothing beats the smell and feel of real books" and so on. In short, when the speaker/poster means (consciously or subconsciously) to convey the perceived inferiority of ebooks.

Now, would I get all bothered by such a statement? Would I call them out on it? Probably not. Let them think what they like.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:40 PM   #28
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
What's objectionable is someone specifically using "real books" to diminish or belittle ebooks or audiobooks. As in "I prefer real books", "Nothing beats the smell and feel of real books" and so on. In short, when the speaker/poster means (consciously or subconsciously) to convey the perceived inferiority of ebooks.
That's what I meant; don't let them co-opt the word "real" to evoke superiority or any implicit positives.

"I prefer real books."
"Do you? I prefer virtual books."

Essentially force the conversation so that the opposite of "real" is "virtual" or "digital" and not "fake" or "phony". You define the terms, not the paperite.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 04:49 PM   #29
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Both ebooks and paper are real books. But not all real books suit the medium of ebooks.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 10:55 PM   #30
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Yes. I've met enough people who say "I like to read REAL books". They may not consciously feel superior, but the fact they use the word "real" speaks pretty loudly.
I can't speak for others but here's why I normally use the term "real books" for paper books — because they're "real" in the sense that you actually hold them. With an eBook you hold a device that allows to read a book in electronic form. Break the device and you have nothing (until you can replace it). I'm not implying one is superior to the other (I almost exclusively read eBooks), it's just a distinction between the two.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote