Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-11-2022, 11:00 AM   #31
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
One of my favorite things about ebooks is the way that it enables midlist authors from the past to bring their books back into print. But these books tend to have awful new covers, while odds are that the original book had a beautiful (or beautifully lurid) painted cover. That was what sold these midlist books.

Those are almost always changed by me.
I agree, and there are a lot NOT back in print, maybe never will be. I do my own OCR on stuff from Internet Archive, for instance. Many have lovely old covers. And if there are several good covers, I'll add an "Alt Covers" file into the book to hold them. Even stories from magazines may have been in several magazines! And magazine serials automatically have several covers.

I love to see the old, often lurid, covers on the PC as I make and proof a book, but hardly notice them on a Kobo or Kindle with the ugly muddy grey display.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:41 AM   #32
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
One of my favorite things about ebooks is the way that it enables midlist authors from the past to bring their books back into print. But these books tend to have awful new covers, while odds are that the original book had a beautiful (or beautifully lurid) painted cover. That was what sold these midlist books.

Those are almost always changed by me.
Old cover, when the book was published by HarperCollins:
Click image for larger version

Name:	3196928.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	198336

New cover, when the author published on Kindle:

Name:	41GRuu8AJEL.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	198337

Yeah, I prefer the old one.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2022, 03:08 PM   #33
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Have you looked at ImageWorsener? Basic setting would be -grayscale and -depthgray 4 (or -depthcc 16). I did a batch file that basically runs the input file through various dithering algorithms and then eyeball them since oddly enough, I find that some images look better with different dithering algorithms.

As to why the name ImageWorsener? To quote the documentation:
Thanks. Another one that occurred to me after my posting is the ai art programs that can convert a photo to something, e.g., https://goart.fotor.com/. It looks like it's reducing the colors, sort of like it was made with Illustrator.

Last edited by hobnail; 12-11-2022 at 03:11 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 04:08 PM   #34
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Like a few others, I will change the cover to match a paper version I own or remember. If a series changed the cover style partway through, I generally like to make them consistent.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:34 PM   #35
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
No, if my ebooks already work with my ereader, I don't bother with editing them in calibre.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2023, 09:42 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Do you always use the book cover provided by the publisher, or do you sometimes use covers from different editions?

(Excluding more generic covers like those godawful Project Gutenberg ones.)
I do sometimes replace a US cover with a UK cover if I like the UK cover better enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 12:55 PM   #37
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I used to change some to favorites, but Amazon then goes and updates / changes them back anyway half the time, which is very irritating. I haven't had calibre for about 2 years now, so haven't been messing with any of that.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 03:25 PM   #38
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I wouldn't even know how to change the cover. I don't really care anyway since it's just a tiny little square on a black-and-white epub ereader.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:30 AM   #39
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I
Covers are adverts or part of adverts. Adverts are not covered by copyright in the same way (you can't re-use for some other product).
When I was in art school, one of the things that was hammered into us, was that the underlying theme of a series of advertisements, as well as the individual advertisements were under copyright.

I don't remember the name of the case, but we called it "black with red blob". A series of pretty good adds for a company in London, England. The original add agency was fired, and their new agency created a second series based on that theme. And both companies (the client, and the add agency) ended up paying a hefty amount for the copyright violations of the second series.

I am not a lawyer. This isn't legal advice.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:36 AM   #40
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I mostly can’t be bothered, although sometimes I change those awful generic Penguin ones that only have the bird with no title, no author.
When I was first told about those Penguin covers, I thought the person was joking. It was only after I bought a Penguin ebook, that I realised that Penguin put no thought into its ebook covers.

Between Wiki Commons (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page) and the create a cover function in Calibre, I ended with a very attractive cover for the ebook.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:00 PM   #41
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
I don't remember the name of the case, but we called it "black with red blob". A series of pretty good adds for a company in London, England. The original add agency was fired, and their new agency created a second series based on that theme. And both companies (the client, and the add agency) ended up paying a hefty amount for the copyright violations of the second series.
I'm not sure if it is related or not, but in the US you can copy trade dress. Back in the '80's Epic Comics put out a nice collection of Moebius graphic novels.

But they skipped some of his black and white erotic stuff inspired by the American underground comics. So Dark Horse comics put out two collections, The Horny Goof and... I forget the other one. But they mimicked the Epic comics trade dress and were numbered 0 and 1/2.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Moebius 0.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	199388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moebius 2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	199389  
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 01:46 PM   #42
PredicateD
PredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with others

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10th Gen.)
I always use the existing cover. In fact, it never even occurred to me to try to change a cover and I'm not sure I'd ever bother to do it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
PredicateD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 03:40 PM   #43
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I change covers if I don't like them or if they are generic. I always change covers on books I purchased to replace a beloved paperback copy.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 10:22 AM   #44
isarl
Addict
isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Of most importance to me are the covers when I have a series. I want to be able to visually recognize a series as a series. So I search out covers of the same style so the series matches.
I relate to this. The Foundation series has a relatively recent, geometric series of matching designs, and then the cover on the first novel had to go and get replaced with a TV series tie-in design instead. Tracking down the geometric design that was replaced, and in satisfactory resolution, was quite a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired biker View Post
And if there are several good covers, I'll add an "Alt Covers" file into the book to hold them. Even stories from magazines may have been in several magazines! And magazine serials automatically have several covers.
I love finding new ideas for how to improve my Calibre library. Thank you for this!
isarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 01:41 PM   #45
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
...And if there are several good covers, I'll add an "Alt Covers" file into the book to hold them.
Interesting idea. Does Calibre support alt covers?
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote