Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-04-2023, 08:51 AM   #76
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
You've got me going down memory lane. Not to get too long-winded...

1986 Conrac professional broadcast SNA 17" NTSC monochrome monitor on a homebrew Motorola 68K system.

1989 Monochrome (white) 14" VGA 640 x 480 (since the poor color registration at the time was not acceptable to me)

???? 12" MDA amber monitor (as 2nd monitor because you could have VGA & MDA)

1994 Sony 17" Trinitron 17SE1 1280 x 1024 (high-end, $1000)

-- LCD Era ---

2004 NEC 17" 1280 x 1024

2011 Acer 23" 1920 x 1080

2014 (2) 17" 1280 x 1024 wing monitors around the 23" (same 96 DPI)

2022 LG 29" 2560 x 1080

--- Eink Era ---

2011 B&N NST

.... All B&N models

2022 Onyx Poke3
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 09:11 AM   #77
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
A bit off-the-topic, but the thread title just kinda jogged my memory and made me remember this:

https://www.uncensoredlibrary.com/en

To bypass censorship in countries that don't really have freedom of the press, why not sneak uncensored articles into a video game such as Minecraft?

I've taken a digital visit to it before. It's kind of hard to describe the sheer scale of this thing. So I'll just post a screenshot from their press-kit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Uncensored_library_Dome_02.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	201389
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2023, 10:08 AM   #78
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
A bit off-the-topic, but the thread title just kinda jogged my memory and made me remember this:

https://www.uncensoredlibrary.com/en

To bypass censorship in countries that don't really have freedom of the press, why not sneak uncensored articles into a video game such as Minecraft?
Quote:
Finnish newspaper hides Ukraine news reports for Russians in online game

Newspaper uses secret room in first-person shooter game Counter-Strike to bypass Russian censorship
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...in-online-game

Certainly Minecraft is like an infinite animated lego set. You can host your own "server" for freee for a LAN. So I imagine if your Router or other PC in your house can run a VPN server, friends on the Internet could log into the VPN to be on your LAN.

My granddaughter uses Minecraft on Playstation and 55" screen as a giant home lego set. She builds at a ferocious speed.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:36 AM   #79
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
... and 55" screen ...
Well, if we're boasting about screen size...
I've used that Compaq "luggable" computer with a 9" screen in 1984.
That's not to mention the HP 9100A calculator in 1970's that had a 3.25" x 4.75" (5.75" diagonal) CRT that could display 3 numbers, at the same time!
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 01:49 PM   #80
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Well, if we're boasting about screen size...
I've used that Compaq "luggable" computer with a 9" screen in 1984.
That's not to mention the HP 9100A calculator in 1970's that had a 3.25" x 4.75" (5.75" diagonal) CRT that could display 3 numbers, at the same time!
I've used an 8" and also a 6" 4:3 PAL colour TV screen on PC. You need 40 column text and Windows 3.1 is pretty unusable.

It's not my house with the 55" and Playstation (5?).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2023, 10:05 AM   #81
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm guessing you didn't read many American comics from the 1970s.

I get that. But to be honest, lots of old comics look better in newsprint than digital. Because at the time they were made, they were colored with the understanding that the newsprint would soak up a lot of the ink.

When those comics are published with the same colors on a vibrant white background, they look garish. In particular I noticed it on the early Len Wein/Bernie Wrightson Swamp Things. Scans of the newsprint look better than the digital edition.

To each his own. I think comics should be colorful, frankly. I like the super-saturated look. Compare this scan from the first issue of Jack Kirby's New Gods with the digital re-color:

https://kirbymuseum.org/blogs/365fou...NG1pg1_sml.jpg

https://pyxis.nymag.com/v1/imgs/350/...11.2x.w710.jpg

I don't think Kirby would necessarily have disapproved, given that his stuff was drawn to be striking and "fantastic". Modern comics are so muted and droll by comparison. It's as if the industry fears that pastels are reserved for little girls.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 10:51 AM   #82
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I wonder if there's any comic readers that can apply a filter to change how the colours look. Best of both worlds!
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 11:51 AM   #83
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
To each his own. I think comics should be colorful, frankly. I like the super-saturated look. Compare this scan from the first issue of Jack Kirby's New Gods with the digital re-color:

I don't think Kirby would necessarily have disapproved, given that his stuff was drawn to be striking and "fantastic". Modern comics are so muted and droll by comparison. It's as if the industry fears that pastels are reserved for little girls.
That seems like more than just a saturation change, some of the colors are completely different.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 12:22 PM   #84
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post

Kirby, yes. He does well with vivid color. But something meant to be darker like Swamp Thing and those '70's Batmans do lose something.

And then there's the recoloring of The Killing Joke, which was awful. But that's a whole different thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SWAMP THING 001 004.jpg
Size:	804.9 KB
ID:	201408   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Size:	880.2 KB
ID:	201409  

Last edited by ZodWallop; 05-05-2023 at 12:26 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 04:02 PM   #85
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Kirby, yes. He does well with vivid color. But something meant to be darker like Swamp Thing and those '70's Batmans do lose something.

And then there's the recoloring of The Killing Joke, which was awful. But that's a whole different thing.
Indeed. I miss the psychedelic coloring of the original.

The Maxx's recoloring toned the original down quite a bit, too:

https://i.redd.it/z7txduwigzn31.jpg
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 04:10 PM   #86
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Getting back to the original topic, I prefer a recliner. PCs are just too uncomfortable.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 12:42 AM   #87
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Depends on the setup. A media-centre PC can be enjoyed on a large wall-mounted OLED screen, from the comfort of a reclining Lazyboy armchair whilst using a wireless keyboard with integrated trackpad for input.

That sounds very specific doesn't it?
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote