Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #1
Wammertodging
Wammertodging began at the beginning.

Device: none
AZW file issues

I wanted to load a book from my Kindle app on PC into Calibre for better reading, and I got the DRM tools as I've done this before, but for some reason when I load the book it converts it to Mobi and becomes illegible gibberish, everything gradually slants right with each page until the letters are on top of each other for pages at a time.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do about this? I've been searching all over for two hours trying various things.
Wammertodging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:47 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
AZW is a renamed MOBI, there is no conversion happening.

Do you see the same results if you try opening the MOBI file in Kindle for PC?
What do you mean by "everything gradually slants right with each page until the letters are on top of each", I am having a hard time visualizing the problem. Maybe you can attach a screenshot of the issue?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2016, 12:12 AM   #3
Wammertodging

Oh that explains it, but I attached an image, it's a bizarre scrambling affecting only this book, the other books I have come in just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ss (2016-06-06 at 10.59.37).jpg
Views:	230
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	149274  
Old 06-07-2016, 12:37 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That file will have deeply nested blockquotes. You can probably fix it by doing a MOBI to MOBI conversion with extra css

blockquote { margin: 0 !important }
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:49 AM   #5
Wammertodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That file will have deeply nested blockquotes. You can probably fix it by doing a MOBI to MOBI conversion with extra css

blockquote { margin: 0 !important }
Nope, no change.
Advert
Old 06-07-2016, 12:52 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186697
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:59 AM   #7
Wammertodging

Here's the original file, perhaps you can figure out what I'm doing wrong, much appreciated.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-07-2016 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:37 AM   #8
apprenticeharper
Apprentices Against DRM
apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Laptop
Looks fine to me. I suspect you've found a calibre rendering bug. But you shouldn't post that book here. Clearly it's not public domain. From the link Kovid posted:

"The file you are trying to convert. If the file is copyrighted then create an extract/sample that shows the problem, or use the calibre bug report system to create a private bug with the file attached."

[emphasis added]

No doubt a moderator will be along shortly to delete the file from your post.
apprenticeharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:49 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
If you ever again post copyrighted material to this site you will be instantly banned. This is the only warning you will receive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:08 AM   #10
Wammertodging

Oh sorry, I submitted a bug report here https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1590015
Old 06-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I suggest you make that bug report private, as mentioned in the text Apprentice Harper quoted.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:45 AM   #12
Wammertodging

I believe someone did, I didn't notice the privacy settings but it appears to be private now, and indeed it was CSS issues, I must have inserted the code incorrectly.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:49 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wammertodging View Post
I believe someone did, I didn't notice the privacy settings but it appears to be private now, and indeed it was CSS issues, I must have inserted the code incorrectly.
It was public when I went to see it just before I posted, but I can't see it now.

I'm glad your issue has been sorted.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote