Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-31-2015, 03:05 AM   #1
etzarfat
etzarfat began at the beginning.

Device: None
How to download books to kindle via kindle email.

Hello,

I sent nd a pdf filr to my kindle email address.
How can I download it to my kindle?
Is there a way to do it?

Thanks for the help
etzarfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:24 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It should appear in the Cloud tab on your Kindle (or archived items, depending on the model).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2015, 06:45 AM   #3
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The email route is considered obsolete because it renders only the Mobi 7 version, so you don't see how your book looks on a KF8 device or app. Anyhow, I am skeptical it would render a PDF at all.

The way to do this is through the Personal Document service. I have done it, when sent a PDF review copy. It was a bit of a pain, but it was doable. I don't remember the exact procedure just now, but I'm sure it is in the help section of Manage Your Digital Content & Devices.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:43 AM   #4
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
The email route is considered obsolete because it renders only the Mobi 7 version, so you don't see how your book looks on a KF8 device or app. Anyhow, I am skeptical it would render a PDF at all.

The way to do this is through the Personal Document service. I have done it, when sent a PDF review copy. It was a bit of a pain, but it was doable. I don't remember the exact procedure just now, but I'm sure it is in the help section of Manage Your Digital Content & Devices.
Actually, the "email route" does use the Personal Document service. If you send a PDF that you want converted, you just type "convert" in the subject of the email.

Shar
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:05 PM   #5
KimberlyFDR
Groupie
KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire 7, Fire HD 6, FireStick, Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Connect
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I send PDF files to my Kindle through email almost daily. I don't consider it obsolete or inferior. Yes, about 5% of the time the formatting will be off because of how the PDF was put together, but since most of these files are one-off reads (for review or research), it's no big deal.
KimberlyFDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2015, 12:22 AM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
And if you don't want it converted, don't put 'convert' in the subject. Note that sometimes email has a size limit on file attachments, and typically your mail client will save this in your Sent Mail, which over time will chew up storage somewhere. I prefer to use Send To Kindle app, as it goes 'direct' without using mail transport as intermediary.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:34 AM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I prefer to use Send To Kindle app, as it goes 'direct' without using mail transport as intermediary.
Are you sure about that? How do you know? I've always assumed that Send to Kindle is just a wrapper for email. Are you saying it uses HTTP instead? File upload?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:48 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It connects directly to Amazon, it is after all an Amazon product.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:12 AM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Are you sure about that? How do you know? I've always assumed that Send to Kindle is just a wrapper for email. Are you saying it uses HTTP instead? File upload?
It certainly uses some Amazon (non public) web service API, rather than SMTP, which would only add complexity. You can target multiple devices, you can upload up to the 50MB limit, it works even if you don't authorize any email addresses for sending, and you can tell it not to store it in the cloud. Those features are not available via email.

Last edited by tomsem; 04-02-2015 at 02:14 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Interesting. It must use HTTP, then. By the way, using SMTP is not complicated. Most languages have libraries such that sending an email is just one procedure call, just as HTTP is.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:35 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

SMTP adds pointless, unnecessary overhead, and it has nothing to do with how challenging it is to implement an SMTP server.
Examples of what you can do with HTTP have already been given.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-02-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:21 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Interesting. It must use HTTP, then. By the way, using SMTP is not complicated. Most languages have libraries such that sending an email is just one procedure call, just as HTTP is.
This is true, but there would absolutely no point in it. A web service is a far better way to perform this particular task.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote