Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-11-2015, 04:24 AM   #1
Vallebona
Vallebona began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Software for PC and Calibre for Win PCs
E-Book protection

Dear Sirs,

I read very often, that DRM solutions are unuseful, to avoid illegal copies of e-books. I would like to know, if there is a good solution to protect e-books. If I apply an open solution without DRM, should I accept as well, that my e-books could be stolen and reproduced very easily?
Thank you in advance.

Best Regards

Claudio Vallebona
Vallebona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:54 AM   #2
faltradl
Guru
faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch
A good solution? There is one: Don't give your ebook to anyone. And it will be the only way. Any other protection can be cracked. Perhaps not at once, but it's only a matter of time.
faltradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2015, 07:05 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallebona View Post
Dear Sirs,
Well, I'm out. Good luck seeking advice.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #4
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
This has been gone over several times. DRM doesn't really stop anyone from making copies, if they want to. But it does annoy legitimate readers who would like to read on their choice of devices.

Most of your readers will be honest, and you can't really stop the thieves.

I prefer to publish without DRM, mostly because I prefer to read without DRM.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Well, I'm out. Good luck seeking advice.
Now, now, meeera. Do not be so hasty in rushing to conclusions. Please allow for the possibility that this could be an innocent mistake rather than a deliberately sexist salutation. English may not be the poster's native tongue.

Claudio, DRM can be contentious - if you search this forum you will find many very long discussions on the subject. Simply put: DRM will not prevent copying by anyone cares to go to the effort, however, it will prevent accidental and casual copying by those that know no better, do not care, or can't be bothered removing the DRM. The latter, despite how it may appear in the arguments here on MobileRead, is most probably the vast majority of your potential readers.

Personally, I distribute my books without DRM*. I choose this because I don't want to discourage anyone from giving my work a try, not even those relative few that object to the presence DRM. My experience has been that the most difficult part of publishing is actually attracting an audience, so I remove as many impediments as I can.

* Note that some retailers will add DRM anyway.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
There is only one guaranteed way to keep your book safe from pirates.
Keep it in your head.

Now that being said,
The thing with most "pirate" sites is they do not actually have your book. They have scraped the blurb and cover. They are usually either after credit cards or they want to install crap on your computer.

Your best bet is don't worry about it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallebona View Post
Dear Sirs,

I read very often, that DRM solutions are unuseful, to avoid illegal copies of e-books. I would like to know, if there is a good solution to protect e-books. If I apply an open solution without DRM, should I accept as well, that my e-books could be stolen and reproduced very easily?
Thank you in advance.

Best Regards

Claudio Vallebona
DRM is useless. A lot of people won't buy an eBook with DRM they cannot remove. And DRM that cannot be removed is DRM that most cannot use. Your best bet is to go without DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
DRM

Don't Read Me

Destroyed Reading Material
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:18 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I used to know someone who would pirate the heck out of something that originally came with DRM and had the DRM removed. He would not pirate anything that came DRM free.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #10
Tenzin_la
Enthusiast
Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Oasis
I have published peer-review journal articles that are not supposed to be photocopied and distributed. I know that it was. Now I find out even more when students email me about my few articles.

I have worked at Universities here in the States and in England. (This was way before computers were common place.) Copyright laws have never been adhered to at the University level.

I have written some (fairly lengthy) technical 'How To' manuals and I'm glad to share.

I have also published a work of fiction. I'm not sure how much the demand is; I'm sure not going to be rich!

It's a very difficult question. As a reader, I will not ever support any published work that has DRM that cannot be removed. The same goes for movies and such.

I want to be able to use purchased items however I like. (Obviously that does not include sharing them.)
Tenzin_la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:05 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzin_la View Post
I have published peer-review journal articles that are not supposed to be photocopied and distributed. I know that it was. Now I find out even more when students email me about my few articles.
If your articles were published in peer-reviewed journals, surely they are available entirely legally via the standard academic journal systems such as JSTOR, are they not, which every university offers students access to?

Quote:
I have worked at Universities here in the States and in England. (This was way before computers were common place.) Copyright laws have never been adhered to at the University level.
I must very respectfully disagree with you. I am currently studying part-time for a degree in Egyptology at the University of Manchester in England, and there copyright is taken very seriously indeed. All students have to take a mandatory course which explains in great detail what copyright law does or does not permit.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-12-2015 at 06:17 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:28 PM   #12
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I must very respectfully disagree with you. I am currently studying part-time for a degree in Egyptology at the University of Manchester in England, and there copyright is taken very seriously indeed. All students have to take a mandatory course which explains in great detail what copyright law does or does not permit.
I guess your university takes it much more seriously than the ones my children went to/are going to, then. Between the two of them they've attended 4 different schools in the past 5 years and none of them had a course like that.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm sure it does vary, yes. I was disagreeing with the blanket statement that it's "never" taken seriously. A single counter-example is all that's necessary to demonstrate that such a statement is false.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:22 PM   #14
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sure it does vary, yes. I was disagreeing with the blanket statement that it's "never" taken seriously. A single counter-example is all that's necessary to demonstrate that such a statement is false.
Ah--you are right, of course. Sorry...I didn't read the post closely enough, and missed the "never".

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:51 AM   #15
megapix99
megapix99 began at the beginning.

Device: asus fonepad android
Counterfeit is the greatest form of flatter. Only the price is you're being robbed.

Bottom line: If they want it, DRM or not, they've got it.

Many. but not all ebook publication websites run searches to see if the work proposed contains vast amounts of copied material.

You should run Google searches too, to see if anything pops up.

If it's a rip-off you take action. Having of course registered you work with either the WGA East or West and copyrighted it at the Library of Congress. Without copyright registered at the LoC LEGAL redress and damages will be severely restricted
megapix99 is offline   Reply With Quote