Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 08-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
huladaddy
huladaddy began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3
Send two different sets of news download to two different email addresses?

My wife and I have Kindles. I currently download news and have it automatically sent to my Kindle email address. It works great. I would like to also automatically send news to my wife's Kindle email address, but the list of news she wants is different from mine.

I can see how to automatically send all the downloaded news to both of our Kindles, but is it possible to have a different set of news sent to each of them? If not, could a feature be added to add this functionality?
huladaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
One way to do it is to send the emails to some common gmail account and have it automatically forward the mails appropriately based on subject.

As for doing it in calibre itself, patches are welcome.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2014, 02:06 AM   #3
huladaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
One way to do it is to send the emails to some common gmail account and have it automatically forward the mails appropriately based on subject.

As for doing it in calibre itself, patches are welcome.
Brilliant work-around. Thanks. I will do that until someone (hopefully) adds this feature.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
jumafl
Enthusiast
jumafl began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
I don't think you can do this with gmail. Gmail insists on sending a confirmation code to a new forwarding address. Since you can't access email sent to your kindle email address, you won't be able to complete gmail's authorization process.

I solved this problem by setting up an email address at gmx.com that I only use with Calibre. Gmx does not require authorization to forward to an address. I send all of my news from Calibre to gmx and use the gmx filters to forward the news to the various kindles.

I use the same gmx account as the outgoing email server in Calibre This speeds up emailing the news since the delay Calibre places between outgoing email via gmail is eliminated.
jumafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:22 AM   #5
huladaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumafl View Post
I don't think you can do this with gmail. Gmail insists on sending a confirmation code to a new forwarding address. Since you can't access email sent to your kindle email address, you won't be able to complete gmail's authorization process.

I solved this problem by setting up an email address at gmx.com that I only use with Calibre. Gmx does not require authorization to forward to an address. I send all of my news from Calibre to gmx and use the gmx filters to forward the news to the various kindles.

I use the same gmx account as the outgoing email server in Calibre This speeds up emailing the news since the delay Calibre places between outgoing email via gmail is eliminated.
Interestingly enough, I already had implemented this work-around using my gmx.com email address before your reply. I have been using gmx.com for a while because of the large attachment sizes allowed them.

I did not know about the delay calibre implements when using a gmail account to send content via email. Interesting.

When setting up the filter rules in gmx.com, do you know if it's possible to include two email addresses in the "forwarding" email address setting, possibly separated by a comma?
Advert
Old 08-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
jumafl
Enthusiast
jumafl began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
I haven't had to change my filter rules since the filter process was redesigned back in May. It looks to me like Custom Filter Rules (directly below the 'Frequently used Filter Rules') may solve the forwarding to multiple email addresses problem. Only one email address can be in a rule but rules may be stacked.

For example, to process an email from Calibre with a 'USA Today' subject line, create three rules that all test for the subject ": USA Today". The first rule forwards to kindle 1, the second to kindle 2, and the third moves the email to a 'Sent to Kindle' folder.

I set a 2 week retention on my Sent to Kindle folder in case I have to resend the news. In my experience Amazon sometimes loses my news.

The delay on sending emails from Calibre to Gmail is controlled in the Tweaks section of the Calibre preferences. The tweak is called 'The number of seconds to wait before sending emails'. The description for the tweak reads:
The number of seconds to wait before sending emails when using a
public email server like gmail or hotmail. Default is: 5 minutes
Setting it to lower may cause the server's SPAM controls to kick in,
making email sending fail. Changes will take effect only after a restart of
calibre.
jumafl is offline   Reply With Quote