Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
KorrMuraan
Winning at life
KorrMuraan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Exclamation Only three fonts? :P

As far as I can tell from testing the only fonts the 505 recognizes is Arial, Times New Roman, and Courier. Anything else it just displays the book in Arial/TNR.

Of those three TNR is the easiest for me to read, but I'd prefer to read my books in Trebuchet or Calibri.

Anyone found a way to modify the supported font list?

Last edited by KorrMuraan; 01-20-2008 at 11:08 PM.
KorrMuraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:03 AM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
You can make your own books in BookDesigner and embed the font you want to use. This produces LRF files (the native format for the Sony) that are larger than they would be without the embedded font and the page turns take a bit longer. Otherwise you could make custom sized PDF files (like those from Feedbooks) that use your favored font.

There was some discussion about replacing the base fonts in the PRS-500 but as I remember that option is not available for the firmware of the 505.

By the way, the fonts in the Reader are from Bitstream and are Dutch (the TNR clone) and Swiss (the Helv or Ariel clone.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2008, 04:50 AM   #3
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
I usually make my own pdf files and embed the font I want. I don't typically read whole books or articles in anything other than Times New Roman, though. I find most fonts to be too distracting and annoying to read continually.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:53 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It should be noted, however, that embedding fonts in a document can dramatically slow down the page turn speed from a fraction of a second to several seconds.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
There is at least one more font, I use New Century Schoolbook, and it shows up correctly. In fact, I don't technically have that font on my computer, but if I assign it to the RTF I'm reading it gets displayed in that font on the device.
If anyone has a truly comprehensive list of the fonts the device supports directly, I'd love to see it. I only found out about New Century Schoolbook because someone on this forum mentioned it. Before I was using Times-Roman, which was the only serif font I could find that displayed on the device.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
There is at least one more font, I use New Century Schoolbook, and it shows up correctly. In fact, I don't technically have that font on my computer, but if I assign it to the RTF I'm reading it gets displayed in that font on the device.
If anyone has a truly comprehensive list of the fonts the device supports directly, I'd love to see it. I only found out about New Century Schoolbook because someone on this forum mentioned it. Before I was using Times-Roman, which was the only serif font I could find that displayed on the device.
Unless this is a new feature of the 505 that I'm unaware of, New Century Schoolbook isn't present on the Reader. There are, as has been said, only three fonts - Couirer, Swiss, and Dutch. Any font will be mapped onto one of these three, unless embedded in the actual document.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
KorrMuraan
Winning at life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
nope, just tested it

it shows up as Dutch/TNR
Old 01-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
KorrMuraan
Winning at life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
You can make your own books in BookDesigner and embed the font you want to use. This produces LRF files (the native format for the Sony) that are larger than they would be without the embedded font and the page turns take a bit longer. Otherwise you could make custom sized PDF files (like those from Feedbooks) that use your favored font.

There was some discussion about replacing the base fonts in the PRS-500 but as I remember that option is not available for the firmware of the 505.

By the way, the fonts in the Reader are from Bitstream and are Dutch (the TNR clone) and Swiss (the Helv or Ariel clone.)
Cool, I'll try messing with BookDesigner tonight.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
KorrMuraan
Winning at life

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorrMuraan View Post
Cool, I'll try messing with BookDesigner tonight.
couldn't wait till tonight lol

anyway, BD works great! figured out how to embed fonts, add photos, and format just how I like it in about 2mins

and my new favorite font is Sylfaen (pretty close to TNR, but with subtle differences that I prefer)
Old 01-21-2008, 04:34 PM   #10
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Just don't use Comic Sans for reading. God, I hate that font. Teachers used that craptastic font on assignments when I was in high school all the time (they probably still do, too... the bastards). Every time I saw it I couldn't help but think it was such an unprofessional and annoying font to read assignments in. That's one font I'll likely never use in any of my ebooks. </rant>
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:37 PM   #11
KorrMuraan
Winning at life

Now I just need to figure out how to remove the BD credits
Old 01-21-2008, 04:44 PM   #12
KorrMuraan
Winning at life

also, is Sylfaen
sil-fain' (methinks this one)
sil-fay'-en
sile'-fain

??
Old 04-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #13
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
I've been trying to embed some fonts recomended by people here but they seem to crash the reader i try to open the book and the 505 restarts as if i had shut it down.

Also the sony connect software crashes when trying to display the book. Any ideas?
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
ban comic sans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Just don't use Comic Sans for reading. God, I hate that font. Teachers used that craptastic font on assignments when I was in high school all the time (they probably still do, too... the bastards). Every time I saw it I couldn't help but think it was such an unprofessional and annoying font to read assignments in. That's one font I'll likely never use in any of my ebooks. </rant>
Teachers weren't the only ones... for a while that font was *everywhere*. Luckily, now there's something you can be a part of to help put the "sans" in comic sans.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:36 PM   #15
lionfish
Connoisseur
lionfish doesn't litterlionfish doesn't litter

Device: E-Book Reader
try this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20644
You can made your own font using FontCreator or other programs. Just modify the 3 original font files.
lionfish is offline   Reply With Quote