Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-31-2008, 01:23 PM   #61
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemenseken View Post
Hi =X=
I just downloaded your improved ***speed version*** of the dictionary software but did not have time, yet, to look into your code...
I AM REALLY GLAD, YOU DID THE IMPLEMENTATION as I'm totally inexperienced with linux/grep. And I learned that even minor faults with syntax can take you hours/days to get it running...
No worries I'm glad the code is well received! Changes should be easy to see/understand but feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Quote:
I just yesterday finished a game I was doing for sony-PRSs and will have time from coming week on to get your code mixed into my "older version".
But I will put a link to this your previous post on page 1 of this thread right away!
Sweet! Will you be posting it here?

Quote:
Than=X= again! (& pardon the pun,) Clemens
No worries, that's quite clever actually.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:51 AM   #62
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Quote:
I just yesterday finished a game I was doing for sony-PRSs and will...
Sweet! Will you be posting it here?
Hi =X=
Yes, I will post it (today?). It's just a game I saw on my brother's cell phone and decided to re-create for me/fun...
It is similar to breakout, but you have to "align" differently coloured patterned balls in a way that gives you the maximum amount of points.
I called my clone 5Balls.
BTW, I'll send you a PM asking for some explanations concerning your development on the dictionary project - but probably not today.
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2008, 04:45 AM   #63
lisak
lisak doesn't litterlisak doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Alas, it seems that I am late as usual. I just came to let you all know that the reworked version of the dictionary will be available today's evening (CET), but it seems that the work is mostly done...

Anyway, maybe there will be some additions you'd find useful after all (eg. I have function for previous/next word working, addition of the status line etc.) - hope somebody'll like it. I'll do a quickscan for enhancements suggested here and I'll try to implement at least some of them for the added value.

Quote:
@lisak
The first time I read your post, I didn't realize you had it working. Would have saved me several hours.

Hi Clement/All,
Since you mentioned you did not have much time to work on the speed issue,
I spent some time updating the Dictionary to work using the 'grep' tool. This has speed up the search from ~45sec to ~1 sec. (there is a 10sec hit for the first search).
Clement feel free to merge what you like from the code and discard what you do not like.

BROKEN
Next/Prev word does not work as before. Now the next/prev word will start from the beginning of the dictionary

=X=

Last edited by lisak; 06-02-2008 at 04:55 AM.
lisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #64
lisak

Ok, here's my version, as promised:

Instalation:
- unzip archive
- connect your reader to the computer
- copy everything from "card" directory to your card (your original autorun.* files will be overwritten - back them up, if you think you'll need them)
- copy everything from "prs" directory to internal memory of your Sony Reader
- disconnect reader - the program should start

What's new:
- search via grep - features are the same as described by =X=
- additional button for clearing all text from input field (marked '<<')
- prev/next line buttons working (expect slight delay after first keypress, after that it's pretty much immediate)
- status line showing some additional info for user added - not used heavily in the current version, but might be useful in the future

Following might be of interest to programers :
- I have everything prepared for showing of "hourglass" icon during the search, but unfortunately I haven't found the way how to force-update the screen while a function is running (normaly, redraw is done only when reader is "idle") - as a result, the icon would show only after the search is completed
- The program itself should be now more modular & readable for other contributors - I rewrote major parts of the code, renamed variables/functions to English and added a lots of comments. You tell me if it's for better or not.
- A slightly different way of input-mapping can be activated by setting "threeButton" to true - description of the mapping is in the code.

Well, that's it. Let me know if you find it useful (or if it's at least running...). Once againg, big thanks to Clemenseken for making such a great & useful program!
Attached Files
File Type: zip DictioLauncher.07_LisakMod.zip (4.77 MB, 7042 views)

Last edited by lisak; 06-02-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:16 AM   #65
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak View Post
Alas, it seems that I am late as usual. I just came to let you all know that the reworked version of the dictionary will be available today's evening... [...]
Instalation: [...] What's new: [...] Following might be of interest to programers [...]
Well, that's it. Let me know if you find it useful (or if it's at least running...). Once againg, big thanks to Clemenseken for making such a great & useful program!
@ lisak &
@ =X=

Hi, you both!
Thank you very much for your impressing work on this.
As I repeatedly mentioned here before, I am no "real" programmer.
(must admit I understand only vaguely what libfskLoad.so or myvm2.xml are needed for...)

Well, so I'd like to suggest that you two get together and try to merge your improvements to my original code. (From a programmer's point of view there must be quite a few. But as asked before, I'd be grateful if you used a slightly different name for it.)

BTW - has one of you (or other member here) found a way to completely transfer the autorun "system" to internal memory, so an SD card is no longer needed?
THAT would be the next fundamental step (IMHO) as I still suspect SD cards to draw hard on battery life...

Thanks again!
As I am just so able to understand what you did, I am certainly not the one to keep the project running. (But having done the basic code and developing the idea in itself is good enough for me.)

Clemens

(P.s.: I will post a game for Sony eReaders here in the next few hours. But as I own a PRS500 "only" I can't estimate its usability for PRS505s very well... It's called "FiveBalls.". )
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2008, 05:17 AM   #66
lisak

Quote:
BTW - has one of you (or other member here) found a way to completely transfer the autorun "system" to internal memory, so an SD card is no longer needed?
THAT would be the next fundamental step (IMHO) as I still suspect SD cards to draw hard on battery life...
Just a short comment on that - as far as I am aware, this would require some change to the original firmware of PRS (resp. changes to Linux distribution it runs on). For 505, nobody is really willing to experiment in that area, because there's no firmware image provided by Sony for this version and it is rather easy to brick the reader by some error in the code. For PRS500 might be the situation better, though I am not aware about any hack that would allow running of arbitrary javascript file in tinyhttp (but I didn't really look for it, actualy).

Quote:
(P.s.: I will post a game for Sony eReaders here in the next few hours. But as I own a PRS500 "only" I can't estimate its usability for PRS505s very well... It's called "FiveBalls.". )
Great! Can't wait!
Old 06-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #67
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@lisak
Wow you've completed re-wrote the code! I must say you did a bang up job.

@clement/lisak
The changes both lisak are very similar, however lisak did a much better job in cleaning up the code and commenting it. I recommend lisak's code be used for the next release. There is no need for any merging in either your code or my code, lisak's code is a complete re-write.

@lisak
Here are a few comments on you implementation

Keyboard: Is it possible to have two lay outs. Personally I like clements QWERTY lay out but I see value in the ABC... Is it possible to code two UI and have the user select their preference?

Logs: There are still logs getting pumped out, for releases it's best if we disable them.

LIB: I've recommend adding the line 'this.prepareScript()' to the 'loadDict' method. This will move the load time of the lib to the load time of the app, but this way the user will not experience a hit on their first word search. (having to wait for the app to load, then wait for the search is a pain)

// Here are some of my suggestions for keyboard mapping.
KeyMapping: In my release I changed a few buttons maps for quicker entries. I'd like to add these keys to your code. Change the <mark> button to call 'clearInput' Change the "Next/Prev" from find next word to moving the keyboard cursor left/right.

Last edited by =X=; 06-03-2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: updated for clarification
Old 06-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #68
=X=
Wizard

Quote:

Well, so I'd like to suggest that you two get together and try to merge your improvements to my original code. (From a programmer's point of view there must be quite a few. But as asked before, I'd be grateful if you used a slightly different name for it.)
@clemente I don't think we need to merge our code. The changes are made are very similar to liask. I say we use liask's code as is w/o merging.

I've kind of speculated on what that would take. Here is my post on "Wolf's" New Hack for the SONY 505"
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=93

My motivation from moving it from the card is for hardware life of the SD card reader. the more you eject the card the greater chance of damaging the reader and the card. Also it would be nice to load the dictionary from a button press instead of eject/re-inserting the card.

However lisak is correct. Until SONY comes out with their firmware release anything non trivial is being avoided.

(P.s.: I will post a game for Sony eReaders here in the next few hours. But as I own a PRS500 "only" I can't estimate its usability for PRS505s very well... It's called "FiveBalls.". )[/QUOTE]
Old 06-04-2008, 02:17 AM   #69
lisak

Quote:
@lisak
Wow you've completed re-wrote the code! I must say you did a bang up job.
Thanks...

Quote:
@lisak
Here are a few comments on you implementation
I created dictioLaunch pages at Google Code, where I listed all the suggestions you've mentioned (and some more) so they won't get lost. I admit it might be an overkill for a project of this size , but I wanted to try this service out for some time and this provided me an opportunity.

Let me know if you or Clemens (or anybody else, for that matter) want to have access to svn - I'll add you right away and we can work on it together.

Quote:
LIB: I've recommend adding the line 'this.prepareScript()' to the 'loadDict' method. This will move the load time of the lib to the load time of the app, but this way the user will not experience a hit on their first word search. (having to wait for the app to load, then wait for the search is a pain)
I understand, there's a problem, though - due to the "unconditional" start after card change/usb disconnect, the dictionary is started after such an event regardless you want to start it or not. I guess it would be rather annoying if you had to wait ('cause script preparation is uninterruptable, AFAIK) every time after you disconnect the reader even if you don't want to use dictionary at all.

Still, I think this approach can be used - one of improvements I'd like to see is to introduce some "start-up menu", which would be than used for executing a specific application (so that you can have eg. sudoku & dictionary at the same card). prepareScript would be then called right after user confirms s/he wants to start DictioLaunch.

Quote:
KeyMapping: In my release I changed a few buttons maps for quicker entries. I'd like to add these keys to your code. Change the <mark> button to call 'clearInput' Change the "Next/Prev" from find next word to moving the keyboard cursor left/right.
I agree with <mark> change (at least until we have some better use for it), but regards next/prev - how do we get to next/prev line then (this functionality can be useful when you run into synonyms)?
Old 06-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #70
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:

Instalation:
- unzip archive
- connect your reader to the computer
- copy everything from "card" directory to your card (your original autorun.* files will be overwritten - back them up, if you think you'll need them)
- copy everything from "prs" directory to internal memory of your Sony Reader
- disconnect reader - the program should start
I'm new to this and downloaded your file. When I unzipped it, I didn't find either a "card" directory (which I assume means the SD card) or a "prs" directory. Can you tell me which files that are included in the zip file go to the card and which to the Reader? Are there any other files I need? Thanks.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #71
lisak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I'm new to this and downloaded your file. When I unzipped it, I didn't find either a "card" directory (which I assume means the SD card) or a "prs" directory. Can you tell me which files that are included in the zip file go to the card and which to the Reader? Are there any other files I need? Thanks.
This is strange - I re-downloaded it and after unpacking, the directories were there. Are you sure you did "unpack with whole path" unzipping? I don't know what software for unpacking do you use, however the structure of the unzipped archive should look like this:

├───card
│ │ libfskLoad.so
│ │
│ └───Sony Reader
│ └───software
│ │ autorun.js
│ │ autorun.xml
│ │
│ └───skins
│ labels.png
│ skinMain505.png

└───prs
└───database
└───media
└───dictionary
default.txt
dict.dat
wb.txt
Old 06-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #72
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
I understand, there's a problem, though - due to the "unconditional" start after card change/usb disconnect
I think you misunderstood the point I was making, sorry for the confusion. The point I was addressing is something you hinted on post
Earlier Post from liask

The first time a search is preformed there is a 4sec-20sec delay because the library 'libfskLoad.so' is getting loaded for the first time.
My recommendation was to make the first call during the loadDict methods so that the user does not experience the delay on the first search.

As an aside note, I've noticed that this trick works only when the card is ejected/reinserted. Some how the USB disconnection does not work.

As for the google sure good idea.

Quote:
I agree with <mark> change (at least until we have some better use for it), but regards next/prev - how do we get to next/prev line then (this functionality can be useful when you run into synonyms)?
Currently the Up/Down and Next/Prev are mapped to the next word search. My recommendation was to only remap the Next/Prev key to the left <-> right keyboard and leave the Up/Down as is.
I know it is a matter of preference, I just find it easier and quicker to be able to use both hands to type a word than having to use one hand.

Quote:
This is strange - I re-downloaded it and after unpacking, the directories were there.
├───card
|└───Sony Reader
└───prs
|└───Database
@liask
What OS are you using, it looks like Linux(Unix)
For the Windows world, the <Card> and <PRS> root directores do not exist.

It is:
<Drive>:\Sony Reader
<Drive>:\Database
Old 06-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #73
lisak

Quote:
I think you misunderstood the point I was making (...)
My recommendation was to make the first call during the loadDict methods so that the user does not experience the delay on the first search.
Well, but loadDict() is called from init() function, which is in turn called everytime the dictionary starts (which is in my case even after I disconnect USB cable - don't know why...)

Quote:
My recommendation was to only remap the Next/Prev key to the left <-> right keyboard and leave the Up/Down as is.
Ok, using two hands for writing definitely makes sense - let's remap this according to your idea.

Quote:
What OS are you using, it looks like Linux(Unix)
For the Windows world, the <Card> and <PRS> root directores do not exist.
Definitely weird - I am running Win XP atm and I have them there (the output was done by tree command). I packed the archive with Total Commander internal zip archiver, however, I'll try to repack it with Winzip or something...

Here it is - try this archive: http://dictiolaunch.googlecode.com/f...unchX-0.81.zip

Last edited by lisak; 06-04-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #74
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Definitely weird - I am running Win XP atm and I have them there (the output was done by tree command). I packed the archive with Total Commander internal zip archiver, however, I'll try to repack it with Winzip or something...

Here it is - try this archive: http://dictiolaunch.googlecode.com/f...unchX-0.81.zip
I figured out my problem based on your comments. I was double-clicking on the zip file to open it with Winzip rather than asking Winzip to extract it. When you double-click on the zip file, all you get is a list of files -- no directories; if you extract instead, the directories Card and PRS are created by Winzip and the files correctly placed. I am sorry for putting you through this when it was my misunderstanding of what to do. I do appreciate your responding.

LATER: I must have done something wrong becuase I can't get the dictionary to work. Here is what I did: After extracting the files from the zip file, I copied the PRS folder and all of its contents to my Reader. I then copied the Card folder and all of its contents to the SD card.

I thought perhaps it should be done some other way, but the only way I could get the Sony software to copy over all of the files to the SD card was by copying the entire folder. Sorry to be so lame about this, but what am I doing wrong?

Last edited by rhadin; 06-04-2008 at 01:32 PM. Reason: to supplement original response
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:50 PM   #75
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Well, but loadDict() is called from init() function, which is in turn called everytime the dictionary starts (which is in my case even after I disconnect USB cable - don't know why...)
Okay I re-read my last post, definitaly as confuion as my first. Let me have one more go at it.

Put a function call 'this.prepareScript()' in the loadDict() method, or in the 'init()' method. This way when the app is loaded it calls the calls the 'init()' which calls then prepareScript. This way the libfskLoad.so file is copied to the /tmp directory when the application is loaded and not on the first word search.

=X=