Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
PRS-950 - Are these mods possible?

Greetings,
After having sold my beloved 505, I'm saving my $$ for a PRS-950. The larger and clearer screen was key to my decision to do this.

Does anyone know if it is possible to mod the 950 to do the following:

-have new and different applications
-be able to use the Internet links on 3G instead of only on wifi
-have the menu changed to allow quick system power-down like the modded 505?

thanks.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenstate View Post
Greetings,
After having sold my beloved 505, I'm saving my $$ for a PRS-950. The larger and clearer screen was key to my decision to do this.

Does anyone know if it is possible to mod the 950 to do the following:

-have new and different applications
-be able to use the Internet links on 3G instead of only on wifi
-have the menu changed to allow quick system power-down like the modded 505?

thanks.
No.
No.
To power down fully, simply slide and hold the power switch for several seconds.

Flashing the Russian firmware will allow for a full time clock display, custom fonts for epubs, and some limited customization of the button functions.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 05:36 AM   #3
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
Thanks.

Did you mean this firmware?
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...er=asc&start=0

If yes, is there an English equivalent to the instructions somewhere?
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Thanks.

Did you mean this firmware?
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...er=asc&start=0

If yes, is there an English equivalent to the instructions somewhere?
That's it. You can use Google translate to convert the page into English and understand the instructions well enough. I recommend the "Boroda" version. The only real trick is to run the batch file from an elevated command prompt under Windows 7/Vista. I also believe that someone put the steps in English somewhere on Mobileread. You might want to search for posts by "porkupan" which is the Mobileread username for "Boroda" on the Russian forum.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:07 AM   #5
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
-be able to use the Internet links on 3G instead of only on wifi.
This feature (internet browsing at Sony's cost) would motivate Sony to close the holes that allow custom firmware. I hope nobody is silly enough to hack this part...
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 04:21 AM   #6
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Paperwhite 2, Nexus 7
Redacted.

Last edited by redbees; 01-07-2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: I will do further research before asking questions.
redbees is offline   Reply With Quote