Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
display an author list of my books

Hi,

Epub format is spreading fast: I can now get almost all the literature of the public domain in this format in many languages.

With a few thousands of books in my Kobo, I would like to be able to wander through all the authors without having to pass a hundred Balzac or fifty Dumas...

But how to display a simple list of the authors I have on my Kobo ?

Does every reader needs to be a sql geek to have an author index?

Thanks for your comments.

François
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:00 AM   #2
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
A

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxp33 View Post
Hi,

Epub format is spreading fast: I can now get almost all the literature of the public domain in this format in many languages.

With a few thousands of books in my Kobo, I would like to be able to wander through all the authors without having to pass a hundred Balzac or fifty Dumas...

But how to display a simple list of the authors I have on my Kobo ?

Does every reader needs to be a sql geek to have an author index?

Thanks for your comments.

François
The only simple way I found is to make a catalog in Calibre and send it to the kobo. Actually, I have two, since I have 1800+ books on the Aura and a total of 3500+ on calibre, and Aura can't deal with the catalog of the complete calibre library with details.
So I have a "light" complete catalog with only authors and genre, and a catalog with also descriptions of the books on the Aura (13 MB).
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
The only simple way I found is to make a catalog in Calibre and send it to the kobo.
Hi Anacreon,

Thank you for your reply. You are right of course, I can rely on Calibre for managing my collection, which is simpler than sql.
Unfortunately, my collection grew too big too quickly, and it takes hours for the sdcard to be indexed.

Glad to see I am not the only one having a hard time getting a simple index of the authors.

Regards

François
Old 08-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxp33 View Post
Hi Anacreon,

Thank you for your reply. You are right of course, I can rely on Calibre for managing my collection, which is simpler than sql.
Unfortunately, my collection grew too big too quickly, and it takes hours for the sdcard to be indexed.

Glad to see I am not the only one having a hard time getting a simple index of the authors.

Regards

François
You could create a calibre library and copy the books from the reader to this library and make a CSV catalogue readable by a spreadsheet program and make an index from that. Doesn't take very long even from the SD card. or attach the SD card as a device.

Or you could create author shelves in your library and use the slow shelf menu.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
fxp33
Addict

@speakingtohe: Hi Helen,
First of all thank you for taking time on this problem

Then you are also right: Using Calibre is the obvious solution. It wouldn't be so hard to build a csv file from the library. Actually, I quite like the idea.

My tests on loading the sdcard is quite different from yours. How many documents have you ?

Nevertheless, and still being a bit sarcastic toward Kobo folks, I believe that an electronic device, meant exclusively to store ebooks, could eventually possess an author index as one of the basic functionality.

But of course, the day developers will implement it, I bet we will have a 7 names by page formatting... It will take me ten days swiping the screen before I get to Stendhal.

Anyway, I guess the sql solution would be something like:
Code:
Select Distinct attribution from content
(not sure about the capitals though)

Regards

François
Advert
Old 08-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have about 1500 on the Aura and have them in series shelves with a shelf for non series books. I used to have genre and am toying with the idea of the series prefixed with the genre. To much bother right now although not that hard.

I've not used SQL for years, and never my strong point

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote