Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-12-2021, 06:56 AM   #286
rorocorti
rorocorti began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO GLO HD
Hi,

My KOBO GLO HD is bricked, could someone send me an image file (firmware.img)?

Thanks in advance,

Romain
rorocorti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:42 AM   #287
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
PM sent.

Three requests in less than forty minutes, and only one in the right place.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2021, 10:29 AM   #288
vincerr
vincerr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
My Kobo Glo can't boot up. I have a red light that will goes on for 40 seconds and then the e-reader turns off. The screen blinks one time and the Kobo doesn't boot. What can I do? I have red about flashing the SD card is that a solution?
vincerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:45 AM   #289
vincerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerr View Post
My Kobo Glo can't boot up. I have a red light that will goes on for 40 seconds and then the e-reader turns off. The screen blinks one time and the Kobo doesn't boot. What can I do? I have red about flashing the SD card is that a solution?
I have a N437 model.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:23 PM   #290
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It could be. It depends on the actual problem. But, it does sound like one that could be fixed with the image. Or even just a manual factory reset - https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...ing_squares.22

Quote:
I have a N437 model.
Which is actually a Glo HD. I have sent a PM with the link to the image.
Advert
Old 01-19-2021, 04:50 AM   #291
vincerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It could be. It depends on the actual problem. But, it does sound like one that could be fixed with the image. Or even just a manual factory reset - https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...ing_squares.22

Which is actually a Glo HD. I have sent a PM with the link to the image.
Thanxs for the image. Do you have a description how to install the image to my kobo? The factory reset doesn't work.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:52 AM   #292
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanxs for the image. Do you have a description how to install the image to my kobo? The factory reset doesn't work.
Did you read the thread? Or at least the first post?????
Old 01-19-2021, 11:07 AM   #293
vincerr

Quote:
Did you read the thread? Or at least the first post?????
I just red the thread. I only have a Mac what kind of software do you suggest to flash a SD disk?
Old 01-19-2021, 11:21 AM   #294
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Quote:
I just red the thread. I only have a Mac what kind of software do you suggest to flash a SD disk?
Use dd. It's likely on your Mac:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/323842
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:28 PM   #295
vincerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMa View Post
Use dd. It's likely on your Mac:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/323842
I have downloaded balenaEtcher and imaged a new SD card with the new image. When I boot up the Kobo only the red light is on whole the time and doesn't boot up. What am I doing wrong?
Old 01-31-2021, 04:19 PM   #296
embedded
embedded began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Side-loading no longer works

Hi,

after the upgrade to a 64GB card everything works fine, except that I can no longer side-load books.

No matter what ebook files I copy to the Kobo, nothing gets imported. I also tried to use Calibre to get books onto the Kobo, but it doesn't seem to successfully write the database (the KoboUtilities plugin always tells me that the books I just sent over to the Kobo are not in the database when I double-check the database after trying this).

Buying books from Kobo works fine ...

Does anyone have an idea what I could try to do?
embedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:40 PM   #297
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by embedded View Post
after the upgrade to a 64GB card everything works fine, except that I can no longer side-load books.

No matter what ebook files I copy to the Kobo, nothing gets imported. I also tried to use Calibre to get books onto the Kobo, but it doesn't seem to successfully write the database (the KoboUtilities plugin always tells me that the books I just sent over to the Kobo are not in the database when I double-check the database after trying this).

Buying books from Kobo works fine ...

Does anyone have an idea what I could try to do?
Sorry, but none of that makes sense. I have no idea how you are using the Kobo Utilities plugin to tell the books have actually been sent to the device. There is no function to do that in the plugin. And nothing that I can think of that could be turned to do that. You can look at the device list to see if that has the books just sent, but, that is part of calibre.

There are two reason I can think of for the problem you are seeing. The first is a problem with the books you are sending to the device. When the books are imported on the device, if there is a problem with a book, it can prevent the rest of the books from being imported.

Another reason is that you are putting the books somewhere that the device does not scan for books. In older firmware, this was in any directory starting with a dot. More recently, the firmware will read these directories and has a built-in exclusion list. And there is an entry you can add to the config file on the device to prevent the device from scanning certain directories. If you have this set and put the books in these locations, then the books will not be imported.

A question for either of the above is whether the device shows the importing screen shortly after you disconnect it. If this is not seen, then the device did not see any new books. Which either means the books were not put on the device or are in a place the device ignores. If the importing screen does show, it indicates new books were seen. If they are not imported, it suggests the books have a problem with them.

Also, I'm a bit baffled as to why you posted to this thread. This is a thread about how to replace the SD card in the devices. Your question has nothing to do with that.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:13 PM   #298
embedded
embedded began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Sorry, but none of that makes sense.
[...]
Also, I'm a bit baffled as to why you posted to this thread. This is a thread about how to replace the SD card in the devices. Your question has nothing to do with that.
sorry, this was definitely not my best problem report ever, I should not post late at night after a long day... Thanks for the hints about which things to check next.

To why I posted this here:
Replacing the original internal SD card with a 64GB one based on this really nice description of how to do it was the only thing that I changed since the last time I did successfully side-load and now when it suddenly did not work. And I usually start with whatever changed last when debugging problems.

I do still have one question that is potentially relevant for this thread:
* did anyone upgrade the internal card to a 64GB (or larger) one and can still side-load by just copying files? As vfat formatting of file-systems over 32GB is not possible via MS tools, I was wondering whether anything there could possible confuse Kobo's import check...

The import screen was not showing at all, btw. The Kobo also takes a relatively long time (30-45s) to reboot after disconnecting from USB.
I did not change anything in the configuration, though. I will try a few more things based on your suggestions.
embedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:38 PM   #299
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by embedded View Post
To why I posted this here:
Replacing the original internal SD card with a 64GB one based on this really nice description of how to do it was the only thing that I changed since the last time I did successfully side-load and now when it suddenly did not work. And I usually start with whatever changed last when debugging problems.

I do still have one question that is potentially relevant for this thread:
* did anyone upgrade the internal card to a 64GB (or larger) one and can still side-load by just copying files? As vfat formatting of file-systems over 32GB is not possible via MS tools, I was wondering whether anything there could possible confuse Kobo's import check...

The import screen was not showing at all, btw. The Kobo also takes a relatively long time (30-45s) to reboot after disconnecting from USB.
I did not change anything in the configuration, though. I will try a few more things based on your suggestions.
It could be the card size. There were discussions about this a long time ago. From memory, for the Glo, 32GB worked all the time, but 64GB would depend on the card.

For the book partition, I don't resize this until after it is in the device. I use the partition resizing from Magic Memory Upgrade Mod once I know it is working OK.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:40 AM   #300
Habu
Habu began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO GLO HD
Error,

Post in the wrong topic

Sorry

Last edited by Habu; 03-01-2021 at 05:44 AM.
Habu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, glo memory upgrade mod, hack, increase, kobo, sdcard