Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #2596
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by baalajimaestro View Post
@knc1: Mine works perfectly with SSHD through this method only! Mine PW2il(9017).
It must work on even more recent devices!
This and your question about firewall rules shows you should put a networking tutorial on your reading list.

You can find hundreds of such tutorials on the 'net.
(or Buy from Amazon, or ... )
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:34 AM   #2597
masteranza
masteranza began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
I might be confused, but is there a way to make USBNetwork work with SSH over WiFi without ANY usb cable?
Edit: Nevermind - just found out it's possible! awesome

Last edited by masteranza; 06-10-2017 at 06:59 AM.
masteranza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2017, 08:14 AM   #2598
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masteranza View Post
I might be confused, but is there a way to make USBNetwork work with SSH over WiFi without ANY usb cable?
Edit: Nevermind - just found out it's possible! awesome
You don't mention where you found the answer for other readers with the same question.

Answer is provided in the directions included with the USBnetworking package. RTFM.

- - - -

Without the USB cable?
Sure, but keep in mind a Kindle only has a two to four hour run-time on the battery.
And that allowing the battery to fully discharge puts the eMMC controller at risk of self-destruction.

Translation:
Keep your Kindle on external power (USB cable attached, to something) while running networking over Wifi.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #2599
masteranza

sorry, I found the info here:
https://www.turnkeylinux.org/blog/kindle-root
Old 06-10-2017, 03:49 PM   #2600
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
sorry, I found the info here:
https://www.turnkeylinux.org/blog/kindle-root
You are always better off to read the directions included in the package release archive, rather than something, somewhere, on the 'net (which might not apply to the package version you have in hand, the included directions always match the package version).

There, now that you have read my recommendation "on the 'net" it should have all the force and effect of anything else you read "on the 'net".
It must be true if you "read it on the net", so there you go, you just did.
Advert
Old 06-11-2017, 07:40 AM   #2601
gkkiscus
gkkiscus began at the beginning.

Device: PW B01D
I recently decided to jailbreak my old pw1 which was running 5.6.1.1.
By following this guide, I first downgraded the system to 5.3.3 and then installed the jb provided here. Afterwards I installed kual to use some plugins.

My question is, can I upgrade my kindle again to the newest version (5.6.1.1) or would this disable the jb? If i can upgrade it, how would I do it, simply download the proper file and flash it like I did with the 5.3.3 one?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this was asked before. I couldn't find the answer
I want to update back again, because I kind of miss the folders to organize my library...

edit: just realized that the folders can still be created in the old version, but were simply deleted when downgrading. would still upgrade to the newest version if possible

edit2: somehow the downgrade of my kindle did mess up the collections. All my old collections do no longer show, but when I sort by collections, the books which have actually been in these old collections which are no longer visible do not show up anymore...

Last edited by gkkiscus; 06-11-2017 at 08:20 AM.
gkkiscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:23 AM   #2602
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkkiscus View Post
- - - -
Thanks in advance and sorry if this was asked before. I couldn't find the answer
- - - -
First post of this thread, section: "Important notice regarding FW >= 5.6.0", second sentence.

tl;dr: do it
Old 06-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #2603
gkkiscus

Oh thanks. Had the feeling that I read it somewhere but didn't find it anymore. Since the last update of the first post was in 2016, I was not sure if the tl;dr sying "make sure jb is up to date" really implies that the provided jb is up to date... But 5.6.1.1, which seems to be the newest update for my 5th gen kindle is rather old as well, probably answers the question.

My main problem right now is, that all of my old collections do not show up anymore since I did the downgrade. I checked with the collection manager from ixtab, and the books show that they are assigned to a collection. However, the collections do not show up. Think I will have to do a factory reset to get at least rid of these ghost-collections

edit:
After updating my kindle back to 6.5.1.1 I could see the collections in the "Cloud" menu of my kindle and was able to simply copy them back to the device.

Last edited by gkkiscus; 06-11-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #2604
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
edit:
After updating my kindle back to 5.6.1.1 I could see the collections in the "Cloud" menu of my kindle and was able to simply copy them back to the device.
Firmware versions older than that no longer support communications with Amazon.
Not since March, 2016.

JBpatch has not been updated for that firmware version.

But LibrarianSync works (it requires Python installed).
It can build the local collections database from either the directory structure under /documents or from a Calibre collections export (requires a Calibre add-on).

Take any packages that you use from NiLuJe's snapshot thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

Note that MrPI is a batch-mode installer, put all *.bin packages you want in /mrpackages and trigger MrPI once.

= = = =

Durn, I need an electronic rubber stamp for some of these answers.
?Maybe keyboard macros? DOS-style stored text entry.

Last edited by knc1; 06-11-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:24 PM   #2605
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Not since March, 2016.

It can build the local collections database from either the directory structure under /documents or from a Calibre collections export (requires a Calibre add-on).

Note that MrPI is a batch-mode installer, put all *.bin packages you want in /mrpackages and trigger MrPI once.

= = = =

Maybe we need a "Frequently Given Answers" thread and you could post links to the appropriate one with a macro of some sort.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:25 PM   #2606
gkkiscus

Quote:
Not since March, 2016.

= = = =

I am not really sure what you want to tell me with your post.
I understand now, that the older firmware version I installed to jailbreak my device does not support the amazon communication anymore, and therefore I could not acquire my collections from there. And after the update back to 6.5.1.1 the communication works again and I was able to get my collections back from the servers.

I think you mean, that I could have used LibrarianSync to recover my collections instead of updating my device. Do you want to tell me with the information about "JBpatch not being updated to 5.6" that it would be an advantage for me when I stay on the older but supported firmware version, because there is a bigger variety of extensions, than on the newer version?

Since I do not "miss" any function right now on 5.6.1.1 with jb, I do not see a point in using the older version... If there are qol extensions, which no one should miss, available in the older version, I would definitely downgrade again. But I have not found any interesting extension yet, besides the one that allows me to turn off the light entirely...

If there is a list of extensions which everyone should have tried, I would happily try them, but I have not found such a list yet. (besides the full list with all tools...)
Old 06-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #2607
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I am not really sure what you want to tell me with your post.
I understand now, that the older firmware version I installed to jailbreak my device does not support the amazon communication anymore, and therefore I could not acquire my collections from there. And after the update back to 6.5.1.1 the communication works again and I was able to get my collections back from the servers.

I think you mean, that I could have used LibrarianSync to recover my collections instead of updating my device. Do you want to tell me with the information about "JBpatch not being updated to 5.6" that it would be an advantage for me when I stay on the older but supported firmware version, because there is a bigger variety of extensions, than on the newer version?

Since I do not "miss" any function right now on 5.6.1.1 with jb, I do not see a point in using the older version... If there are qol extensions, which no one should miss, available in the older version, I would definitely downgrade again. But I have not found any interesting extension yet, besides the one that allows me to turn off the light entirely...

If there is a list of extensions which everyone should have tried, I would happily try them, but I have not found such a list yet. (besides the full list with all tools...)
You have to use the older firmware to install the jailbreak.
Then upgrade.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:38 PM   #2608
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Maybe we need a "Frequently Given Answers" thread and you could post links to the appropriate one with a macro of some sort.

Dave

Forum Index -> Sticky Section -> "Where do I start?" -> Utility and Resources -> Frequently Given Answers

I just got tired of maintaining it.

For the past year or so, just a polite translation of RTFM with a bit of specifics to the current question handles about 90+% of the new posts.
Or not so polite, depending on how many times I have answered the same question that day.

And there is a good reason for high percentage of people joining here that haven't read the directions:

People who read the directions rarely have any trouble, so they don't join just to ask questions that are answered in the directions.

PS:
The same people who don't read the directions also do not read the FGA.

Last edited by knc1; 06-11-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:38 AM   #2609
masteranza

I've been running SSH over Wi-Fi for a week now without ANY battery drain.
It looks like Kindle is running some energy saving profile when locked (screensaver), cause it doesn't disconnect me, just responds much much slower. If I want to reconnect over SSH I simply wake it up.

Quote:
You don't mention where you found the answer for other readers with the same question.

Answer is provided in the directions included with the USBnetworking package. RTFM.

- - - -

Without the USB cable?
Sure, but keep in mind a Kindle only has a two to four hour run-time on the battery.
And that allowing the battery to fully discharge puts the eMMC controller at risk of self-destruction.

Translation:
Keep your Kindle on external power (USB cable attached, to something) while running networking over Wifi.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:02 AM   #2610
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I've been running SSH over Wi-Fi for a week now without ANY battery drain.
It looks like Kindle is running some energy saving profile when locked (screensaver), cause it doesn't disconnect me, just responds much much slower. If I want to reconnect over SSH I simply wake it up.
Read the log messages.
In fact, copy them and attach to your next post, someone here will read them for you.

Your post, as written, has conflicting observations.

Not being disconnected and responding much slower conflicts with the need to wake it up to reconnect.

You are either connected and do not need to reconnect or you are disconnected and get no response until you reconnect.
It can not be both ways at the same time.

- - - -

And top posting is a horrible way to communicate.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch