Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #91
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Personally, that suggestions works for me, it would let me know in a quick glance what list(s) needs to be synced. But I will concede to whatever suggestion the masses wants, I am not knitpicky about the process as long as I get the results with as little muss and fuss as possible.

Nyn
Old 06-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #92
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
If only there was a way to integrate some of the Reading Lists feature into Book Sync...

Since I seem to be on a plugin-integration roll lately, and since I'll soon have 3(!) ereaders to keep organized, here are my thoughts:

So right now we have Readling Lists, which allows tags to be added to a column. This function can be configured so that it is visible in the tag browser, which is what I do. Items in the tag browser already show how many items are attached to each item.

So right now, I've got a Reading List list of my roommate's books, which I have in a holding pattern until I get around to registering it with Book Sync.

So I'm starting every paragraph with "So" apparently. Time for a change.

But what if we ("we" being you, naturally, I'm just the idea girl) had an interface where instead of having a list per device, a list can be assigned to a device.

Picture your Sync plugin right now. You've got the device, and drop-downs to select autosyncing and collections:
Quote:
Device | Location | (status) | DD:Auto | DD:Coll
(DD meaning drop-down selection)

Instead, it might look something like this:

Quote:
List | CB: Sync? | Status| DD: Device | DD: Auto | DD:Coll| DD:Column | DD:Tag
(CB being checkbox, a DD would work just as well)

A list could just be a list, or it could be a sync list.

Just my thoughts. Is this possible?
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #93
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Before writing the Reading List plugin I did give a little thought as to whether Book Sync should incorporate the functionality. The problem is that they have totally different ways of thinking about lists. It has to have the ability to define multiple lists completely independently of devices you may want to sync them to.

As rewriting Book Sync yet again was too depressing a thought I just knocked up Reading List completely separately, and figured that anyone who wanted to sync the contents of a reading list could just view their list and right-click on it to add to a sync list. If they had multiple lists or wanted to send their list to multiple devices they could do this on demand without having to have some complicated "mapping" screen where they define all the relationships.

I won't say it would "never happen" and perhaps one day I will drum up the enthusiasm to incorporate the two together. Certainly a lot of their functionality is in common.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #94
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I won't say it would "never happen" and perhaps one day I will drum up the enthusiasm to incorporate the two together. Certainly a lot of their functionality is in common.
That makes sense. (All of it, not just the part I quoted ) Last night I was fiddling around in calibre (when am I not?) and I think I've come up with a workflow that utilizes both plugins with maximum efficiency for what I'm trying to accomplish. Unfortunately, I'm not yet awake enough to explain any of it. Suffice it to say, everything works fine for me as they are now that I've got a handle on the strengths of each.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:36 AM   #95
Stampercam
Connoisseur
Stampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to behold

Device: ipad, MiGear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
That makes sense. (All of it, not just the part I quoted ) Last night I was fiddling around in calibre (when am I not?) and I think I've come up with a workflow that utilizes both plugins with maximum efficiency for what I'm trying to accomplish. Unfortunately, I'm not yet awake enough to explain any of it. Suffice it to say, everything works fine for me as they are now that I've got a handle on the strengths of each.
I'd be interested to hear your workflow, as I'm trying to come up with something similar. Mind you, I should be studying for uni exams this week so feel free to not rush
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 05:18 AM   #96
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Indeed, I would be interested to hear your thoughts too.

Another reason I forgot to mention as to why I didn't put into book sync is the nature of the lists. A book sync list is temporary, it gets flushed onto your device when you sync with it to become empty again. A reading list is something you keep for a long period of time, after all there is no point in ordering books etc if they get sent to your device and cleared.

With enough "options" you could still cater for some of the differences but it will be a little bit more complex to setup. I think that the Reading List plugin would be the basis for the merge, since it defines independent lists. In the configuration dialog there would have to be a section a bit like book sync has to add your devices. Then presumably for each list you could optionally assign a device it should sync with, and a checkbox as to whether to clear the list after syncing. If you don't clear the list, I guess it would need to check the on device column as to whether to send again to allow sending only the new books on your list. You would likely also make the auto sync checkbox a per list rather than a per device setting. The kindle collections setting would remain per device, either you want your collections updated after syncing or you don't, that isn't really list specific.

Does there really need to be the ability to send a single list to multiple devices? Perhaps this could be catered for by just having multiple lists, and putting "add to all lists" menus in Reading List like I added to this plugin recently. Alternatively I would have to allow multiple devices for a list. In that situation I could not allow clearing the list after a sync.

I guess the Sync Now function would have to go through all the lists for ones set to the current connected device, since you could in theory have multiple.

Perhaps that is all there is to it... I welcome input as to what might be missing etc. You can tell that this is gnawing at me now...
Old 06-07-2011, 05:57 AM   #97
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Color, Kindle, EB1150, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Surface Pro 2017
Hi kiwidude! Very recently discovered your plug-ins, and finding them a superb addition to Calibre's functionality. I'm having an odd problem with Book Sync that's popped up in the last couple of days. It worked just fine until then. I'm running the most current version of Calibre, the last update to Book Sync and Windows 7. Whether or not my Nook is connected, I can't get Book Sync to add a book to the sync list. When I select a book to add, the available selections in the drop-down used to be "Add to Sync List" and "View Sync List" (along with the Customize option). Now, all I see is "Remove from default sync list" and an unavailable option to "sync now" (again, with the Customize option). If I click on the "Remove" option, it gives me a message saying "No device identifier specified." Help! What am I doing wrong? (BTW, I have tried closing Calibre, restarting the computer, and removing and reinstalling the plug-in, with no change to the function status.)
Old 06-07-2011, 06:26 AM   #98
kiwidude

@cklls - sounds like your configuration is missing. That you can see the remove menu option is a bug which I will fix in the next release.

If you choose the configure menu option, does it list your device? I am guessing it doesn't - plug it in and add it. Alternatively you could post the contents of your "Book Sync.json" file, you can get to this from Preferences->Misc->Open Calibre configuration directory and go to the plugins subfolder.

Of course you might be in the situation of upgrading from a much older version of Book Sync as happened to kenr276 in the last page of posts. See the very first post in this thread for how to setup your device, effectively you will be a "first time user".

Last edited by kiwidude; 06-07-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #99
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, kiwidude! I went the route of first-time user set-up, and that did allow it to recognize my nook. Now, though, it shows the device twice in my sync lists! LOL Hey, at least it sees it, so no complaints.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:58 AM   #100
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by cklls View Post
Thanks, kiwidude! I went the route of first-time user set-up, and that did allow it to recognize my nook. Now, though, it shows the device twice in my sync lists! LOL Hey, at least it sees it, so no complaints.
I don't own a Nook so forgive my ignorance, but does it have two storage locations (e.g. main memory and an SD card?). If so, in the configuration dialog, you can give each location a unique name if you would like a sync list for either location. Alternatively in that configuration dialog just untick the storage location that you do not want to use, and that should remove any list for it.

I don't own a device that has multiple storage locations but the plugin caters for it and no-one else has mentioned issues with it so I am guessing that is the problem.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:08 AM   #101
ClairePMR
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I don't own a Nook so forgive my ignorance, but does it have two storage locations (e.g. main memory and an SD card?). If so, in the configuration dialog, you can give each location a unique name if you would like a sync list for either location. Alternatively in that configuration dialog just untick the storage location that you do not want to use, and that should remove any list for it.
Yes, it does have an SD card as a second storage option, so your suggestion is especially helpful. The way it looks now, it seems that it's just recognizing the main device twice. I understand what you're referring to now, and how to get to it, so this is now, IMO, a major upgrade! LOL Thanks!!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #102
kiwidude

v1.3.7 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Fix bug of incorrect function name when device disconnected with config open
  • Fix bug of remove menu displayed when no devices configured
Old 06-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #103
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cklls View Post
Yes, it does have an SD card as a second storage option, so your suggestion is especially helpful. The way it looks now, it seems that it's just recognizing the main device twice. I understand what you're referring to now, and how to get to it, so this is now, IMO, a major upgrade! LOL Thanks!!
CKLLS:

Does Calibre recognize your storage card? I had this problem also until an upgrade of Calibre with recognized my galaxy tab and storage card as two different devices.

Nyn
Old 06-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #104
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
I don't know if I should post this here or in the kindle collection, but when I add books to sync and when it syncs I unplug my kindle it reboots but the books added do not populate the collections when it has finished rebooting. I do see the summary that states it was added to the collections but like I said when it finishes rebooting they are still on the home screen.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #105
kiwidude

@beckywc - that is a problem meme has mentioned in his thread and is working on a solution for. It is the same issue that you would have if you send books to your Kindle and then click to create collections too quickly - meme's plugin needs to wait until the books have finished sending to the device before it creates the collection. Keep an eye on the Kindle Collections thread for a new version, I don't believe it will appear before the next Calibre release.
Closed Thread