Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #6301
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Yep, I was suprised too. I wonder if it was publisher or kobo's decision. I have bought dreamspinner books on kobo before and they were epubs. I guess I can figure adding drm, because that happened with bookstrand books, but why did it end as pdf?
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #6302
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
Yep, I was suprised too. I wonder if it was publisher or kobo's decision. I have bought dreamspinner books on kobo before and they were epubs. I guess I can figure adding drm, because that happened with bookstrand books, but why did it end as pdf?
I've emailed them and awaiting a reply. I did ask Kobo but got the basic 'we only sell what the publisher provides' rubbish.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #6303
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Now here's something of interest - it's from bradsdeals.com

Read Free E-Books + Win $5000
At Kobo, when you read these free short story e-books (Crack the Codes) and solve the puzzle, you'll be entered in for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000 or other prizes for 2nd and 3rd place, which includes a Kobo Glo signed by author Dan Brown. (expires April 25, 2014)

And here's the page that redeeming the coupon goes to:
http://www.kobo.com/thedescent?utm_s...azj_klb65zNvFg

Edit
When I open each of the 3 books that are part of the comp I get the following message:
'Sorry, but this page isn’t available in your region.'

I'm guessing that the comp hasn't started yet ....
WHAT A DUD!!!

This is last year's comp ..... my recommendation .... ignore all of bradsdeals.com !!!
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #6304
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Going by the posts in this thread, I think Kobo has an unacceptably high rate of undownloadable books. I got two during the sale, also, and I've also bumped into this issue more than once in the past.

I've reported one and I assume I'll get a refund. I'm trying to decide what to do about the other, which is on my "offshore" account. Do I want to invite the scrutiny (as if Kobo scrutinizes! )? Obviously, given the sale, it's for a trivial sum. I'll probably let it go.
if you can sync with the kobo desktop, those books should be downloaded in the book will be downloaded on your computer, in Windows the directory should be
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub
once there, they can get a good clean
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:41 PM   #6305
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I don't know if these contest codes still work.

65%
DkqV84UX
DJsSvfAX
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #6306
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Stupid question time...

As a workaround, have you tried downloading the ACSM file with your netbook, transferring it to your Windows box, and opening that with ADE to complete the transfer?

Yes, it's a hack, but it oughta work.
Yep, I was going to do that when I had another "doh!" moment. I was having trouble with Firefox, so I started up IE and got it that way.

I suspect the problem is at my end -- I'm nursing Windows XP along on an ancient IBM ThinkCentre. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the specs for Windows 7, anyway. I'm building a replacement, but maybe I need to get a little more serious abbout finishing the job.

Thanks for the reply!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #6307
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I don't know if these contest codes still work.

65%
DkqV84UX
DJsSvfAX
Nope, they don't.. Well, until next time
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #6308
Raquel
Enthusiast
Raquel can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Raquel can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Raquel can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Raquel can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Raquel can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Raquel can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Raquel can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Raquel can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Raquel can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Raquel can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Raquel can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post
Nope, they don't.. Well, until next time
One of my contest code (35% off) still works, so I think they're just already used.
Raquel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #6309
zelda.owns.link
Evangelist
zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort1997 View Post
Well done!
Thank you! *bows*
zelda.owns.link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #6310
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
EPUB's and KEPUB's are both just ZIP files with some metadata. If you break them open with a ZIP program (7-Zip works great) and look for the OPF file, you'll find the title of the book and author listed in there in amongst the XML markup. Even with DRM, this file remains unencrypted, so you should be able to view it just fine.
This didn't work, zip just shows same file/# etc.

Mort1997: thank you for trying to help, I appreciate it! I did download the dreaded Kobo app just to get the kepub files.

A few people suggested mysterious 'obok', only found a word document.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
if you can sync with the kobo desktop, those books should be downloaded in the book will be downloaded on your computer, in Windows the directory should be
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub
once there, they can get a good clean
Clean how?

Sorry for sounding frustrated, but this is! LOL. Please be kind, I'm also not tech-savvy which doesn't help.
I can see all the kepub files. I just want my books now. All help is appreciated!

EDIT: Ok, visit 'Alf', and for me I could only see downloads with Antivirus software off. And I still can't get it to work. I give up, this is way beyond my tech-know-how!

Last edited by Blue2u; 03-04-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #6311
arasyi
Zealot
arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
Sorry for sounding frustrated, but this is! LOL. Please be kind, I'm also not tech-savvy which doesn't help.
I can see all the kepub files. I just want my books now. All help is appreciated!

EDIT: Ok, visit 'Alf', and for me I could only see downloads with Antivirus software off. And I still can't get it to work. I give up, this is way beyond my tech-know-how!
kepub files are encrypted using Kobo's proprietary DRM scheme.
Basically, to use Alf's tool, you would need to install Kobo's desktop app and python.
Unfortunately, detailed discussion on DRM removal is not permitted here.
Maybe you can go to Alf's web and ask for help in the comment section there.
arasyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:57 PM   #6312
Mura35
Mammarella
Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-Reader, iPad
I just found out that 4 books that were not downloadable last october and for which Kobo compensated me yet never removed them from my library, are suddenly downloadable.
Mura35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:24 AM   #6313
darthyoda6
Connoisseur
darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.darthyoda6 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 10th Gen, Kindle 7th Gen
I finally totalled my spending spree, but I wish I had a better organized wishlist too. One of the books turned out to be a pdf file, but all off them downloaded ok.

So I bought 25 books with the 75% discount code, which was $34.94 before taxes, on $139.73 before taxes worth of books.

Then I bought another 41 books with the 90% discount code and spent $24.30 before taxes on $243.71 worth of books.

And then after the code ran out I bought 1 more book with a 45% discount code for another 58 cents.

I also bought one book from Amazon for another $1.10.

All prices are in Canadian.
darthyoda6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:39 AM   #6314
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
in this day and age why are KOBO selling PDFS if their own software can't handle them?

I'm emailing the publisher about KOBO anyway as this is an independent publisher who has their own website. I've bought over 500 books from them and when you buy direct you get ePub, mobi and PDF, so no idea why Kobo is only selling PDFs and god alone knows where Adobe comes into the picture as they sell DRM free!
The Kobo app can handle PDF, but I agree with you overall. I had the same issue with an indie publisher, and the publisher responded that they use third-party distributors and exercise no control over what formats are distributed through which stores. I found this a bit baffling, but they did at least send me an EPUB version after seeing the screenshot of that page of my library...so that's something.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:36 AM   #6315
lina23
lina23 invented the internet.lina23 invented the internet.lina23 invented the internet.lina23 invented the internet.lina23 invented the internet.lina23 invented the internet.lina23 invented the internet.lina23 invented the internet.lina23 invented the internet.lina23 invented the internet.lina23 invented the internet.

Device: kobo mini
I started reading this thread last year when I got a Kobo Mini, to add to my Kindle. I specifically got a Kobo so I could borrow ebooks through my local library (most of the libraries here in Oz don't su pport Kindle for some reason), but have since found that most of the books I have purchased have been for Kobo as they are usually cheaper, thanks to the codes that are regularly offered.

On that, thanks to whoever originally posted about the code this weekend. I got busy, and cleared most of my very extensive wishlists. I originally purchased through the Oz site, then when the only books left to purchase were the agency books that the code wouldn't work on, I travelled to India and finished off my purchases.

I think I've blown my book budget for the year - 380 books for about $250 I think I'm set for the rest of the year

Thanks to the posters in this thread for all the useful info.
lina23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coupon, discount, ridiculous deals