Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-29-2023, 11:21 AM   #136
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Do you realise Goodreads is a social media site made up of users, not a set of advertisements paid for by publishers/authors?
I'd say it's a little from column A and a little from column B.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 11:54 AM   #137
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Many Social sites have more than 1 source of content.

IMHO Paid Ad Content would be liable to these controls. (Site try and sidestep this by claiming 'we don't control WHICH ADS get shown' (True, but they do control what Ad provider the sign up with.)
With mixed content, Policing is a nightmare , so I can see enforcement being reactive (Loads of complaints) based.
What about current EU false advertising regulations doesn't work for paid publisher ads on Goodreads that meet the definition of false advertising? In what way do you think the current regulations need to change to stop that perceived problem?

(Bearing in mind that a law that says "Goodreads should no longer allow ratings and reviews for ARCs" is unlikely to get up.)

Have we got any evidence that authors/publishers are rampantly publishing fake reviews for books that haven't been written yet? Because right now all I can see is "People are using this social media site in a way that I don't like, and I insist that this must stop."
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 12:16 PM   #138
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I don't believe ARC is not representative of the book. (final corrective edits does not significantly change the book reviewed, just like a re-release with minor fixes)

I have had my hands on old school PRINTED ARC's. The main purpose IS to allow reviews in place by release date.
And yes, there is no proof the reviewer read the entire book, but they did HAVE the book in hand.
A 'review' is an evaluation of fact (the book). Anything else is not a 'Review'
I like John's writing. is simply opinion. Just because the last book was good, does not auto-make the latest the same (or the reverse. Back on course after the last stinker.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 03:23 PM   #139
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
And yes, there is no proof the reviewer read the entire book, but they did HAVE the book in hand.
There's never proof of a person reading a book before making a review.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 04:47 PM   #140
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
If I’m given a book to review, I do try and read it. Mind you, there have been books I’ve struggled with. If I DNF, I say so in my review and say why (usually because it’s either pretentious or something I can’t stomach). I get freebies direct from publisher mail-outs or via the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program, and I post reviews on LT and on a RPG forum I’ve been a member of for years. I used to post reviews on Amazon but gave up because they insisted on star ratings which I won’t do.
maddz is online now   Reply With Quote