Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #6331
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lina23 View Post

I think I've blown my book budget for the year - 380 books for about $250 I think I'm set for the rest of the year

Thanks to the posters in this thread for all the useful info.
Very nice.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #6332
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lina23 View Post
I think I've blown my book budget for the year - 380 books for about $250 I think I'm set for the rest of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Am I the only now tired of buying ebooks? I don't even look the freebies threads because I know I have many books to read. Also the whole process just seems tiresome.
Anyone else?
@Lina: How could you get 380 books without dropping dead behind the computer? I "only" got 106, and that already felt like work, having to check out all of them one by one.

@samhy: To some extent, I feel the same. I still think it's a pity a lot of books need fixing up (metadata, fixing idiotic layout in CSS); fixing up that wouldn't even be POSSIBLE without Calibre (and Alf). I would like buying ebooks a lot more if I didn't get saddled with the task of having to fix them one by one.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #6333
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
That's not rubbish. The Publisher uploads the files. Kobo does not reach into the Publisher's files and say we'll take a PDF from you, an ePub from someone else.
That may be but if you know the publisher sells ePub it's ridiculous kobo selling a PDF. And if PDFs in their natural form can't be read on an ereader or via their app on a tablet then they certainly shouldn't be sold.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #6334
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by arasyi View Post
kepub files are encrypted using Kobo's proprietary DRM scheme.
Basically, to use Alf's tool, you would need to install Kobo's desktop app and python.
Unfortunately, detailed discussion on DRM removal is not permitted here.
Maybe you can go to Alf's web and ask for help in the comment section there.
I believe the Kobo tools are included in Alf's Other Tools bundle now.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #6335
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
A few people suggested mysterious 'obok', only found a word document.
Sorry for sounding frustrated, but this is! LOL. Please be kind, I'm also not tech-savvy which doesn't help. I can see all the kepub files. I just want my books now. All help is appreciated!
EDIT: Ok, visit 'Alf', and for me I could only see downloads with Antivirus software off. And I still can't get it to work. I give up, this is way beyond my tech-know-how!
DRM removal discussion on MR is not allowed, and I understand that assistance with tips and hints can be too sparse for non-technical people.

After I test the Obok script, I will be assisting Blue2u by e-mail.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #6336
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

As noted, DRM removal discussion is not allowed on Mobileread.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #6337
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
I learned something new yesterday that I will share here in case others also didnt know.
I bought a book that had no download link and after speaking to Kobo I discovered the book can only be downloaded to an Android device or an iPad.
I told Kobo I had checked the 'Available On These Devices' link before I bought it and on the list it said Windows. So to me that meant I could read the book on my Windows laptop, via the Kobo app.
This is not the case at all. They explained the Windows reference means the book can be read on a tablet or phone that runs Windows, not a PC or laptop running Windows. To be able to read it on my laptop, I needed to have seen "Desktop" on the list, which in this case wasnt there.
I believe this is something that Kobo need to make clearer. Surely I cant be the only one who would think "Windows" means the book would work on their computer?
So to be sure of a books compatibility with your devices, you need to look for what is listed, but you also need to know what isnt listed.
This may mean consulting a crystal ball, as it seems Kobo themselves arent too keen on being up front with all the relevant information needed to make the correct purchases.

Last edited by Chapter One; 03-05-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #6338
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter One View Post
I believe this is something that Kobo need to make clearer. Surely I cant be the only one who would think "Windows" means the book would work on their computer?
O_O
That is confusing. I would assume the same thing. Definitely a good thing to keep an eye out for.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:24 PM   #6339
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

If someone states that I can use a file or program on "Windows", I would certainly assume that it would work on a Windows desktop or laptop.

Stating devices or OS-es that can be used is just baloney. They also state Blackberry, but there are old(er) Blackberry devices that are not able to run the required app.

Kobo should just ditch that crap and state the FORMAT that is available, and point out where those formats are usable.

Available formats for this book:
EPUB: For use on EPUB and Kobo readers, or devices that run EPUB-reading apps.
KEPUB: For use on Kobo readers, or devices that run the Kobo app.
PDF: For use on computers, tablets and other devices that run PDF-reading apps.

Everybody will know what can be read where.

Last edited by Katsunami; 03-05-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #6340
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
If someone states that I can use a file or program on "Windows", I would certainly assume that it would work on a Windows desktop or laptop.

Stating devices or OS-es that can be used is just baloney. They also state Blackberry, but there are old(er) Blackberry devices that are not able to run the required app.

Kobo should just ditch that crap and state the FORMAT that is available, and point out where those formats are usable.

Available formats for this book:
EPUB: For use on EPUB and Kobo readers, or devices that run EPUB-reading apps.
KEPUB: For use on Kobo readers, or devices that run the Kobo app.
PDF: For use on computers, tablets and other devices that run PDF-reading apps.

Everybody will know what can be read where.
And where multi formats are available it should be up to customer to select the format they wish to purchase.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #6341
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter One View Post
I learned something new yesterday that I will share here in case others also didnt know.
I bought a book that had no download link and after speaking to Kobo I discovered the book can only be downloaded to an Android device or an iPad.
I told Kobo I had checked the 'Available On These Devices' link before I bought it and on the list it said Windows. So to me that meant I could read the book on my Windows laptop, via the Kobo app.
This is not the case at all. They explained the Windows reference means the book can be read on a tablet or phone that runs Windows, not a PC or laptop running Windows. To be able to read it on my laptop, I needed to have seen "Desktop" on the list, which in this case wasnt there.
So to be sure of a books compatibility with your devices, you need to look for what is listed, but you also need to know what isnt listed.
This may mean consulting a crystal ball, as it seems Kobo themselves arent too keen on being up front with all the relevant information needed to make the correct purchases.
All 3 of mine that have no download button, show 'desktop' in 'read this on' section.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #6342
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
And where multi formats are available it should be up to customer to select the format they wish to purchase.
To some extent, that is still possible; the format is determined by the application or device you use to download the book.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #6343
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
To some extent, that is still possible; the format is determined by the application or device you use to download the book.
This has never been true in my experience with Kobo.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #6344
MobileJanie
Zealot
MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Am I the only now tired of buying ebooks?
Not in this lifetime!
MobileJanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #6345
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileJanie View Post
Not in this lifetime!
Even after my spending spree.... I still went and grabbed the most recent StoryBundle.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coupon, discount, ridiculous deals