Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-11-2018, 05:22 PM   #451
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
And to criticize people unhappy with their battery life as having first world problems: NEWSFLASH: this whole board wouldn’t exist without people having first world problems.

I mean, having an ereader in itself is more or less a first world thing, I would have thought, so we are not allowed to criticize anything which we have bought with our hard-earned money because we live in the first world???

Funnily enough, if the battery issue was resolved, maybe by means of a solar case or similar, then that would help ereaders to be more viable in developing countries...... (thinking of that wind-up radio that was invented a few years ago, and was widely used in developing countries).

Also, the whole point of this board is to discuss issues around ereaders, so it does seem strange for people to be criticized for .... discussing their ereaders. You’ll need to let us know which topics are permitted to be discussed so we don’t get slapped down in future.

Last edited by Pjama; 09-11-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #452
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I reserve the right to be annoyed about a battery that doesn’t even give me a full day of reading. On the top of the line device. And it is not indexing or anything like that. Light is always off, small font (fewer pages turns) and WiFi always off. Basically I’m using it 'hobbled' and it still doesn’t last from one day to the next. Apart from 'that' I do like it very much. But having had kindles 2, 3, basic, then paperwhite and Voyage, all of which had the battery life as claimed in the amazon specs, I do feel this is disappointing. And I’m sick of people saying that this is not a legitimate feeling to have re the battery life.
That’s definitely not normal. I’m recovering from major surgery at the moment and so have spent a fair number of days reading. WiFi off, light at about 8-10, NOT a small font, and I’m using around 25% battery charge in a full day. I’m easily getting the reading time Amazon state. Rather more, in fact. I’d really suggest that you contact Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #453
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I’m coming to that conclusion myself, I think I do need to contact them. I had better battery life before the last update though, so I’m kind of hoping that an upcoming update might make it better again... I used to get about four days out of it.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:49 PM   #454
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know you said you’ve checked, but indexing is the only thing I’ve ever encountered that can drain the battery in a day. I probably could get 4 full days’ reading on a battery charge on mine, although in reality I tend to recharge when it hits about 30-50%. I plug it in when I get up to make breakfast and it’s fully charged again by the time I’ve finished eating it.

I’m using firmware version 5.9.5.2 if that makes any difference. No idea if that’s the latest or not - probably not!

Last edited by HarryT; 09-11-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:00 PM   #455
Pjama
Guru

Mine's on 5.9.7 now, but when it was 5.9.5.x (I can’t remember what the last number was), it actually worked as well as it could. That’s why I’m so disappointed it has relapsed. Anytime I get poor battery life the first thing I do is run a fjkjkfkjgfljh check, so I know it’s not indexing.

I have a charger beside my bed, so I do tend to top it up each night (but from about 30 or 40%, so not so much a top up as a full recharge), but it does still bother me that my Voyage (which I traded in), lasted about seven times longer.

Best battery life ever was on my little kindle basic graphite with the teeny side buttons, and sometimes I wonder whether I should have ever upgraded from that. ��
Advert
Old 09-11-2018, 06:00 PM   #456
Pjama
Guru

I read it for four hours yesterday and three today and it’s almost dead.
Think I’ll contact amazon.
Maybe I can downgrade to 5.9.5.x somehow.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:10 PM   #457
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I don't blame you for being annoyed; I would be too if I were in your situation. As my experience shows, though, I don't think the issue lies with the hardware, unless yours is faulty (which seems unlikely). Perhaps it really is a firmware issue - I never bother upgrading mine unless I've a particular reason to do so, and there's been nothing in any recent update that I've considered useful to me personally.

Please do let us know what Amazon say.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #458
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That’s definitely not normal. I’m recovering from major surgery at the moment and so have spent a fair number of days reading. WiFi off, light at about 8-10, NOT a small font, and I’m using around 25% battery charge in a full day. I’m easily getting the reading time Amazon state. Rather more, in fact. I’d really suggest that you contact Amazon.
Wishing you a good recovery from your surgery HarryT.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:22 PM   #459
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
Wishing you a good recovery from your surgery HarryT.
Thanks - somewhat painful at the moment, but I'm getting there .
Old 09-11-2018, 07:24 PM   #460
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
I hope Amazon can help Pjama.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #461
Pjama
Guru

Thanks, I’ll report back once I’ve contacted them, probably tomorrow (life got in the way today. ).
Old 09-11-2018, 09:32 PM   #462
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
I don't blame you for being annoyed; I would be too if I were in your situation. As my experience shows, though, I don't think the issue lies with the hardware, unless yours is faulty (which seems unlikely). Perhaps it really is a firmware issue - I never bother upgrading mine unless I've a particular reason to do so, and there's been nothing in any recent update that I've considered useful to me personally.

Please do let us know what Amazon say.
Thanks, I think it is firmware-related too, as (after many battery problems when I first got it) it was behaving itself until this update. I try to have it in airplane mode all the time, but I do put the WiFi on to borrow library books, etc., and I still buy the odd book too. The new software seemed to sneak on somehow...

And, best wishes for your recovery from me too.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #463
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Thanks, I think it is firmware-related too, as (after many battery problems when I first got it) it was behaving itself until this update. I try to have it in airplane mode all the time, but I do put the WiFi on to borrow library books, etc., and I still buy the odd book too. The new software seemed to sneak on somehow...

And, best wishes for your recovery from me too.
While it may be firmware related, it is not wide spread. Well, maybe it is wide spread, but not everybody is affected - my Oasis2 does not behave any different on newest update. Battery is still fine.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:55 PM   #464
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Yeah, I've definitely read more than that in the last couple of days and I think I've maybe burned off about 25% of the battery life, pretty similar to HarryT. You should definitely see if you can get a replacement.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:56 PM   #465
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Thanks - somewhat painful at the moment, but I'm getting there .
Hang in there buddy!
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery life, koa2