Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
bkesner
bkesner began at the beginning.

Device: none
Be Warned! These things are super fragile

I had my eDGe for less then two weeks when I bumped it hard and the e-ink screen broke. I sent it back to them for repair and not only was I informed that damage was not covered under the warranty (which is true it is a very restrictive warranty, the buyer has very few rights) but I was informed that fixing the e-ink screen would cost $275, more then half the initial cost.
It was a neat device for the short time I has to play with it, but if anything happens you are out of luck.

-Ben
bkesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Laptops are the same - you have to buy extra protection (e.g. CompleteCare from Dell) to cover accidents like this.

Warranties never cover "accidents", only manufacturing defects...
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Ben, I'm sorry to hear of your accident. I own four e-ink devices and in each of their respective forums I've read similar stories. Apparently the screens are pretty delicate; I've become paranoid and very cautious with my readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Warranties never cover "accidents", only manufacturing defects...
Sometimes not even defects if they can get away with it. When I returned my Macintosh laptop a second time, the store manager gave me the fifth degree in front of several other employees, red-faced and accusing me of dropping it (there was an abrasion). He declared that my warrantee was void because of abuse. I stood my ground until he finally gave up and stalked off with a few rude words. Later, the repair guy confided that the problem was a known issue that couldn't have anything to do with dropping or bumping it.

What a jerk.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
t-town
Connoisseur
t-town began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Yeah, all e Ink glass screens are extremely fragile and can't handle pressure very good.
Entourage can solve this with a plastic base, but when will those become common?
t-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
maynard
Connoisseur
maynard began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, iLiad, Entourage Edge
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. The Edge is built like a tank compared to the iPad. I own both. Edge has its share of software problems, but as a sturdy portable device it's quite good.e
maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town View Post
Yeah, all e Ink glass screens are extremely fragile and can't handle pressure very good.
Entourage can solve this with a plastic base, but when will those become common?
Eventually in the second half of this year there are plastic substrate devices to be released.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
Bic
Connoisseur
Bic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it is

Device: Kindle or Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkesner View Post
I had my eDGe for less then two weeks when I bumped it hard and the e-ink screen broke. I sent it back to them for repair and not only was I informed that damage was not covered under the warranty (which is true it is a very restrictive warranty, the buyer has very few rights) but I was informed that fixing the e-ink screen would cost $275, more then half the initial cost.
It was a neat device for the short time I has to play with it, but if anything happens you are out of luck.

-Ben

check with the credit card company you used to buy it. Mine (both AmEx and Citi MasterCard) have 90 day accidental damage/theft coverage and also extend the original warranty one year.
Bic is offline   Reply With Quote