Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
discens
discens began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle DX, Sony PRS-650
PDF panning and zooming e-readers?

Greetings to all forum users and congratulations on the board.

I am a reasonably satisfied Kindle 2 user from Italy, but I would be interested in a device which can pan and zoom PDFs, besides reading them natively, as the Kindle 2 now can do.

1)I read that the Kindle Dx has the same limitations as the Kindle 2 concerning PDFs, what about the IREX Digital Reader 800S and 1000? (Although I don't know if the latter is worth buying, since I suppose it has gone out of production)

2)Does anybody know if the QUE will have the functions I am interested in, and if there is already some (very approximate) date for the European release?

3)I think that information about PDF panning and zooming functions of the various devices could be a worthy addition to the E-book Reader Matrix, does anybody agree?

4)Another aspect I am sensitive about is the contrast of the display. I am among those who aren't entirely satisfied about the Kindle 2 contrast (I read that the Kindle 1's was (allegedly by some) better, but I cannot order (a refurbished) one in Italy)), so I would be grateful if someone could give me some comparative information about this aspect.

Thank you very much for your attention and for any reply to my questions (a longish list, I am afraid).
discens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
No the 1000 should still be in production as the newer 800 shares most of its internals however there firmware is due a major update with the all the power improvements that the 800 has (and epub support at the expense of mobi). It is the iRex iLiad that nobody is sure about.

Yes the addition of zooming and panning support to the matrix would be good.
The iLiad did it, the 1000 did it but the 800 does not as a business decision.
The Oynx Boox 60 does pan and zoom using the stylus.
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
The DR1000 pans and zooms very well. It also allows written annotation on the pdfs that may be saved with the pdf.
The DR800 is more "consumer" orientated than the DR1000 and doesn't quite have the same functionality (though it may come) I'd suggest you read through the irex Digital reader forum as it deals with both devices. Alternativly, go to the irex website and download the documentation for both.

Last edited by pthwaite; 02-02-2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: correction to forum
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The E-book Reader Matrix contains a row on PDF Capabilities. For example, the DR1000S has good PDF support, but the DR800S has pedestrian PDF support and in particular no zoom at all.

In the 6" devices, the Oynx Boox 60 has good support (based on its Wacom touch pen, like the iRex devices), as does the touch-less PocketBook 301+. The Cybook Gen3 has PDF zoom, but it does not have PDF reflow.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote