Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 01:56 AM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
World Philosophy Day, 19 November 2009

Tomorrow is World Philosophy Day. What philosophical works have you read lately? Which philosophers would you recommend?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I read an interesting anecdote about Wittgenstein the other day. After publishing the Tractatus (supposedly solving philosophy for good), he took a job as a schoolteacher in an Austrian village. He was a brutal teacher and often beat the children - eventually he was forced to resign when word of his cruelty got out.
Years later he returned to the village and visited his ex-pupils who were now adults. He went from house to house begging them, sometimes on his knees, to forgive his treatment of them when they were children - none of them forgave him.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I read an interesting anecdote about Wittgenstein the other day. After publishing the Tractatus (supposedly solving philosophy for good), he took a job as a schoolteacher in an Austrian village. He was a brutal teacher and often beat the children - eventually he was forced to resign when word of his cruelty got out.
Years later he returned to the village and visited his ex-pupils who were now adults. He went from house to house begging them, sometimes on his knees, to forgive his treatment of them when they were children - none of them forgave him.
Wow, what a story! I've always heard that he wasn't always the most sociable of characters, but this story does show he had a very human side. He did, after all, try to make amends.

At one point, Wittgenstein was a student of Bertrand Russel, but I always felt Russell was the better, or at least the more accessible, writer. I find in myself a tendency to blame Wittgenstein for making philosophy to be more about the proper and exact use of language than it is about the "big questions."

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-18-2009 at 10:21 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
Jim-Beam
Jim-Beam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Talking about Wittgenstein, has anyone read Ray Monk's "Wittgenstein: The Duty of Genius"? I think it's a really well-written biography, with a good mix of philosophical discussions.
Jim-Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Beam View Post
Talking about Wittgenstein, has anyone read Ray Monk's "Wittgenstein: The Duty of Genius"? I think it's a really well-written biography, with a good mix of philosophical discussions.
I got my anecdote from 'The Brooklyn Follies' by Paul Auster, who referred to Monk's biography as the source. It was depicted as a fine book in the novel - I must give it a go sometime.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
philosophy, world philosophy day