Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-23-2009, 05:52 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Reg reviews iRex DR1000S

The excellent, but often "tongue-in-cheek" British Tech News site, "The Register", has done a pretty good review of the iRex DR1000S:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/07...eader_dr1000s/

Their verdict:

Quote:
Despite the disappointing software and outrageous price this is, quite simply, the most effective way to read and make notes on long documents. If you have to do that regularly, then the DR1000S is the best tool for the job, but try to get the company to pay for it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Is this true? If so, then ouch!

Quote:
Take this scenario: imagine one has finished reading a PDF document and wishes to close it and then delete it. Closing the document involves nine key presses, in the correct order switching between side and bottom buttons, deleting the same document takes another eight: get one wrong and you're back to the start. We've not seen interfacing this bad for a very long time, and with good reason. Navigation requires at least two hands, ideally three, and generates a frustration, which is only partially offset by the simplicity of the tasks one is attempting to complete.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Is this true? If so, then ouch!
Closing a document is 2 key presses, 1 to open the dialogue from the bottom and a 2nd to press the "close document" button.

The number of presses to delete a file basically depends on where it is in the list. Directly touching a filename with the stylus opens it, so you can't simply do that to delete. But if it didn't, then opening a file would be 2 touches every time and people would HOWL bloody murder over it. So once you select a file, it's again 2 touches or key presses to delete a file. First open the dialogue from the bottom and select "Delete."
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
Closing a document is 2 key presses, 1 to open the dialogue from the bottom and a 2nd to press the "close document" button.

The number of presses to delete a file basically depends on where it is in the list. Directly touching a filename with the stylus opens it, so you can't simply do that to delete. But if it didn't, then opening a file would be 2 touches every time and people would HOWL bloody murder over it. So once you select a file, it's again 2 touches or key presses to delete a file. First open the dialogue from the bottom and select "Delete."
That certainly sounds a whole lot more reasonable. And it doesn't really surprise me that the Register got it wrong. I've always viewed them as bottom-of-the-barrel tech journalism.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
I just noticed that the quote mentions navigation being difficult.

I, personally, have never had any difficulty navigating my DR at all. Sure, I make the occasional mistake, but certainly no more than I do on my computer. I find the touchscreen & stylus to be an extremely efficient method of screen navigation for my uses, and the DR has enough optional buttons to get around when I don't want to use the stylus that I'm quite happy.

I admit, I do wish it cost less, but the DR provides a uniquely worthy PDF e-book reading experience and truthfully, what device of any kind wouldn't I say that about?
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
That certainly sounds a whole lot more reasonable. And it doesn't really surprise me that the Register got it wrong. I've always viewed them as bottom-of-the-barrel tech journalism.
Well, then again it is Britian we talking about here.

griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote