Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 06-06-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Post Cervantes, Miguel de: Don Quijote de la Mancha (Illustrated, Spanish). v5 25 Feb 2010

Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (1547-1616) is considered one of the most important writers of Spanish literature and World literature, with a prestige comparable to Shakespeare's (and interestingly they both died on April 23th, 1616). He greatly contributed to the creation of the modern novel

Cervantes's most famous work is undoubtedly "El ingenioso hidalgo don Quijote de la Mancha" (The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha), which has become a classic of western literature and the second most sold book after the Bible (or so they said). Ten years after the first part was published in 1605, and one year before his death, Cervantes published a second volume of Don Quixote's adventures, mainly as a response to the publication of and apocryphal "second part" by someone else, which gives some idea of the success of the book at the time. Modern editions generaly include both volumes of Don Quixote.

Despite being today a "classic", with that aura of seriousness and scholarly importance particular to classics, Don Quixote was, and still is, basically a comical adventures novel, a parody of the books of chivalry. The plot weaves around and old gentleman who loses his wits from reading all those books about knights, princesses, giants, dragons and sorcerers and decides to become one of them and wander about seeking adventures, offenses to undo and troubles to straighten. Of course, the world around him is just the plain peasant Spanish society of the 17th century, who don't know about castles or princes and just want their horses back and their services paid... and they often mock and laugh at don Quixote and his simple-minded (but not so much as it seems at first) squire Sancho Panza.

Interestingly, we can see in the frontmatter content that exclussive right for printing and distributing the book was granted for 10 years (copyright) and the affair of the apocryphal second part is directly addressed in the second volume (derivative works), where the characters are fully aware of the publication of the first book about themselves.

I created this version from the annotated edition available at the Cervantes Virtual Library, although the notes are not included (they are not public domain, after all), but I advise the interested reader to read the prefaces and notes there. A note of warning: although the punctuation and orthography are somewhat adapted to modern uses, the language is still old-fashioned and many words and syntax would be considered incorrect today; the text is not difficult to understand for Spanish speakers, but those learning Spanish should be careful not to consider this as the "right way" of writing Spanish today.

The illustrations are the famous engravings by Gustave Doré, extracted from the Internet Archive scans, and are the main reason for the huge size of this ebook. I also added two maps at the end, marking the location of most places mentioned in the text. The .epub file is split in two .rar parts

For those wanting to read this in a web browser, I include an index.zip file: just unzip this and the .epub file in the same directory, and open index.html (and modify index.css if you like).

Another thing. Some illustrations are in landscape orientation, I rotated them to better fit a portrait screen, but for a computer it could be better to have them in the normal portrait orientation. This css code is in the .epub:

Code:
/* uncomment one and ONLY ONE of these two: */
img.rot {
  /*display: none; /* for normal landscape illustrations */
}
img.rot + img {
  display: none; /* for rotated landscape illustrations */
}
to override it, you can use this user css:

Code:
img.rot{display:none} img.rot + img{display:block}
Any kind of feedback is welcome. (I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting )

EDIT (v2): Fixed a problem which made Calibre fail when converting the book

EDIT (v3): Improved (hopefully) the formatting of the last of the introductory verses.

EDIT (v4): Updated to support the epub2pdf script.

EDIT (v5): Fixed a problem with the TOC file (you shall not use entities in the ncx).

(previous download count: 154)
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip index.zip (2.0 KB, 1385 views)
File Type: rar DonQuijote.part1.rar (15.63 MB, 1726 views)
File Type: rar DonQuijote.part2.rar (14.35 MB, 1559 views)

Last edited by Jellby; 02-25-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Wow you did a great job! The scans are beautiful and so is the layout of the book. You put my version of Don Quijote to shame.

Also the ePUB performance on the SONY reader is absolutely excellent!

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
columela
columela began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader 505
Thank you
Do you have other spanish classics in store?
columela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:42 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm always looking for more books to upload, but I'm rather slow, because I like to read every book before uploading (that fixes most of the possible problems and mistakes). Do you have any particular suggestion? (These are the Spanish books I've already uploaded.)
Old 09-11-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Fixed a coding problem and improved the format of the last of the introductory verses. Uploaded v3.

Note: I used the "visibility: hidden" CSS property, which is not formally supported by ePUB, but I also set the colour of the hidden parts to white, so they should be invisible anyway with a white background.

Last edited by Jellby; 09-11-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
emindead
emindead began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Thank you, man.

There's an obvious mistake in the title of chapter 4, where in Roman numbers you typed IIII instead of IV. No biggie.
emindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:48 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

I know it looks weird, but it's not a mistake. Historically, there has been some variation in the way of writing Roman numerals, and using "IIII" for 4 has been one of the variants. Most clock dials with Roman numbers, for instance, have "IIII" instead of "IV". In this book I used "IIII" because that's what the first edition had.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:06 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I know it looks weird, but it's not a mistake. Historically, there has been some variation in the way of writing Roman numerals, and using "IIII" for 4 has been one of the variants. Most clock dials with Roman numbers, for instance, have "IIII" instead of "IV". In this book I used "IIII" because that's what the first edition had.
Very true. The reason that most clocks use "IIII" is for symmetry with the "VIIII" on the opposite side of the dial. Not all do, though; the clock of "Big Ben" in London (yes, I know that's not really the name of the clock, before anyone says it ) has "IV".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:09 AM   #9
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
The first part looks fine, but I have a technical problem with part 2: when I open the .rar file it looks empty, though it does weigh 14698 ko, and when I try to extract directly without opening it, winzip tells me there is no file to extract.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

I just downloaded both parts to test, and they work fine. Note that they are not the two parts of the book, but just two pieces of the compressed archive. You cannot extract the second piece independently.

I don't know how it works with winzip, but the command-line "unrar" works by uncompressing the first part, and it automatically continues with the second part. At the end of the process you should have a single 30MB "Don Quijote.epub" file. You can also download it from http://djelibeibi.unex.es/libros/
Old 10-05-2012, 02:29 AM   #11
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I just downloaded both parts to test, and they work fine. Note that they are not the two parts of the book, but just two pieces of the compressed archive. You cannot extract the second piece independently.

I don't know how it works with winzip, but the command-line "unrar" works by uncompressing the first part, and it automatically continues with the second part. At the end of the process you should have a single 30MB "Don Quijote.epub" file. You can also download it from http://djelibeibi.unex.es/libros/
You are right, I just checked. I didn't realise that you downloaded 2 files but extracted just from one.

Many thanks for a beautiful production.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, español, knights, spanish