Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
New Kindle Audio Feature Causes a Stir

Article in WSJ - have no idea if it's under the pay wall since I have a subscribtion.

Love this quote:

"Some publishers and agents expressed concern over a new, experimental feature that reads text aloud with a computer-generated voice.

"They don't have the right to read a book out loud," said Paul Aiken, executive director of the Authors Guild. "That's an audio right, which is derivative under copyright law." "

The stupidity of some people just does not have bounds. It would be lovely for publishers/author guild to sue Amazon, no better publicity for the Kindle
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Ruh roh!

Wow, that's weird.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
So are we also not allowed to read books aloud to our kids? It's not like they store an audio version of the book on there. The computer is just reading it on the fly.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If an ebook is DRM free then in the US (the only place where the Kindle is sold) read-aloud is a protected "fair use" format shift of the material. I don't see how DRM can come into play, since Amazon is certainly allowed to circumvent its own DRM. Publishers may be able to argue that their contract with Amazon does not allow read aloud, but presumably Amazon's lawyers have an alternative theory. In any case, publishers may be cutting their own throats - because if all ebook versions prohibit read-aloud then the Library of Congress allows anyone to circumvent DRM for personal use (see DMCA Anti-circumvention exemptions).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
There have been programs that did this on people's computers for years. People with sever visual impairment rely on them. Are they going to start suing them, too?
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I have noticed that many of the Microsoft LIT books I have purchased have the text to speech option disabled. According to Microsoft this is why:

Quote:
Will all eBooks work with the TTS feature?

No. While the majority of titles presently available in Microsoft Reader format will work with the TTS feature, most of the "premium content" (copy-protected) titles have been published in a format that does not allow for Text-to-Speech.

When will Microsoft fix this TTS problem?

There are two aspects to the TTS solution that will come with time. The first is a technical solution—it simply is not possible for Microsoft to enable this feature with the security needs required to ensure intellectual property protection of copyrighted material; we are working to make it technically feasible in the future.

The second is a policy concern that is out of Microsoft's control; the rights to create and distribute audio files from books are often negotiated separately from the print rights. This area of copyright ownership must be worked out by the other involved parties before there will be a clear path to fully enable this feature.
I wonder if Amazon has negotiated seperate rights for this feature. If not Mr. Aiken may have a point.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I have noticed that many of the Microsoft LIT books I have purchased have the text to speech option disabled.

I wonder if Amazon has negotiated seperate rights for this feature. If not Mr. Aiken may have a point.
A couple of points:

I'm a member of the Authors Guild, and I was a little horrified to hear him make this claim--because to my mind, having a Kindle or computer read a file aloud is no different in copyright terms from my reading a book aloud to my family.

And yet, I understand why he made the statement. Authors do indeed license audio rights to their books separately from other rights. They might or might not go to the text publisher for subsidiary sale. But to me, that's a different thing, because there you're talking about a professionally produced audio reading of the work--presumably by a professional reader who will give the reading inflection and expression. Now, it may well be that some people who like audio books will forego buying audiobooks if their Kindle will read text aloud in a computer voice. (Given that Amazon owns Audible, I imagine there were some in-house discussions about this.) So I don't agree with Mr. Aiken, but it is an arguable point.

Re the Microsoft LIT files with read-aloud disabled, I've been frustrated by that in terms of my own books at fictionwise, because I think people should have that option when they buy my ebooks. Just today, I put the question to the production head at ereads: With the Kindle offering read-aloud, does that mean we can get rid of the prohibition on my ereads titles? He answered that it is fictionwise that requires the disabling of read-aloud, and ereads can't do anything unless fictionwise changes their policy. I wonder, in view of this statement from the Authors Guild, if the reason for the fictionwise policy isn't that they don't want publishers after them about unlicensed audio rights.

Finally, someone mentioned Amazon owning the DRM on the books they sell. That is incorrect. (I also got clarification about that today.) The DRM is on the supplied files from the publisher, and it's there because Mobipocket.com requires it. What I am told is that Amazon draws most of their inventory from Mobipocket.com, which they own. So Amazon doesn't apply the DRM, and they might not directly require it, but it is required by the gatekeeper, Mobipocket. I can't swear this applies to all publishers, but that's what ereads is facing, and that's why ereads titles on Amazon have DRM.

Last edited by starrigger; 02-11-2009 at 01:37 AM.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #8
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
As reported on various blogs - I do not have an Amazon link for this quote so I do not guarantee 100% accuracy, the Amazon position seems to be:

"The ability to read text aloud is very different from producing an audio version of a written work, so audio distribution rights are not required for any titles currently available as eBooks in the Kindle store."

link for quote:

http://lcrw.net/wordpress/?p=845
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:58 PM   #9
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
As reported on various blogs - I do not have an Amazon link for this quote so I do not guarantee 100% accuracy, the Amazon position seems to be:

"The ability to read text aloud is very different from producing an audio version of a written work, so audio distribution rights are not required for any titles currently available as eBooks in the Kindle store."
Yes, that would be Amazon's position, and it appears reasonable to me. Then again, I know of the precedent of LIT restrictions mentioned by others, and don't know all the legalese in the contracts/rights documents...so there may be something of a case here. If the rights holders believe there has been infringement, they have to address it (silly as it may make them look to some observers).
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:01 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Cory Doctorow rails against DRM at Tools of Change conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Finally, someone mentioned Amazon owning the DRM on the books they sell. That is incorrect. (I also got clarification about that today.) The DRM is on the supplied files from the publisher, and it's there because Mobipocket requires it. What I am told is that Amazon draws most of their inventory from Mobipocket, which they own. So Amazon doesn't apply the DRM, and they might not directly require it, but it is required by the gatekeeper, Mobipocket. I can't swear this applies to all publishers, but that's what ereads is facing, and that's why ereads titles on Amazon have DRM.
Quote:
According to the stream, Cory Doctorow has just given a keynote invoking the evils of Digital Rights Management. Of course, Doctorow has beaten the drum on the evils of DRM for quite some time, but this time two special targets of his disdain were Amazon, for insisting that all Kindle books be DRM’d even if the publisher does not wish them to be, and the Amazon-owned Audible audiobook publisher for insisting its audiobooks carry DRM.
Quote:
"Random House audio wanted to sell mp3 of Little Brother, Amazon said only through Audible, which requires DRM - Doctorow" —@sljournal on Twitter
So according to Cory Doctorow, it is Amazon that insists that eBooks and audio books be laden with DRM even if the publishers do not want such.

The full article can be found at http://www.teleread.org/2009/02/10/c...ce/#more-16765.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:06 PM   #11
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Finally, someone mentioned Amazon owning the DRM on the books they sell. That is incorrect. (I also got clarification about that today.) The DRM is on the supplied files from the publisher, and it's there because Mobipocket requires it. What I am told is that Amazon draws most of their inventory from Mobipocket, which they own. So Amazon doesn't apply the DRM, and they might not directly require it, but it is required by the gatekeeper, Mobipocket. I can't swear this applies to all publishers, but that's what ereads is facing, and that's why ereads titles on Amazon have DRM.
Funny you should mention that, as my weekly email from Fictionwise just came in, and I noticed some ereads books (e.g., Harlan Ellison) offered in multiformat (i.e., non-DRM) format; including Mobi. Looking further, I see an awful lot of e-reads books offered there without DRM. So there is obviously more to the story?

Last edited by bwaldron; 02-10-2009 at 11:11 PM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #12
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
This could get juicy...be something if Amazon had to issue a firmware update and disable the text to speech
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
This could get juicy...be something if Amazon had to issue a firmware update and disable the text to speech
Yes, although it is labeled as experimental.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:29 PM   #14
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Funny you should mention that, as my weekly email from Fictionwise just came in, and I noticed some ereads books (e.g., Harlan Ellison) offered in multiformat (i.e., non-DRM) format; including Mobi. Looking further, I see an awful lot of e-reads books offered there without DRM. So there is obviously more to the story?
No, that's fictionwise, and they do not require DRM. Ereads prefers DRM-free books, and it's only where required that they add the DRM. Such as for Mobipocket (the service, not the format) and Sony.

Sorry, I may have been unclear. I meant mobipocket.com when I said mobipocket earlier.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #15
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I guess that I better stop moving my lips when I read. There are people out there that can lip read.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote