Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Mobile Sites

Notices

Old 04-12-2005, 05:14 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Google's "Local Search" for mobile unveiled

Since today Google's Local Search for finding local restaurants, stores and other businesses can be accessed via Web-enabled cell phones and other mobile devices.

To receive useful Google Local results, include the location in your query, for example "pizza 94043" or "taxi san francisco". To receive a definition of a word or a phrase, begin your query with "define".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	starbucks.gif
Views:	473
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	605  
Old 04-12-2005, 06:02 AM   #2
Mattoquai
Enthusiast
Mattoquai began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry 8700c / Nokia N70 / Iliad
Google, go global with local!

This is nice,....if you live in the USA.
I'm wondering when Google will expand its local-based services outside the USA. Google Maps is another service that would be very cool if it wasn't 'USA-only'.
But well, maybe it will come later when these services turn out to be succesfull.
Advert
Old 04-12-2005, 12:52 PM   #3
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Google "Local Search" when offline?

A service like this has some nice overlaps with one of my favorite Palm OS programs, Vindigo. I love syncing my most used cities to my device and being able to find the movie times near where I'm at, a restaurant nearby, directions to the museum and a nearby parking garage. I like that it stores the information on my Zodiac2's cavernous RAM so that I can be stuck in traffic and find a wbetter way to getto where I'm going.

I look forward to using Google "Local Search" on my next Wi-Fi enabled PDA, but for now Vindigo works marvelously in getting me where I want to go and helps me discover new restaurants or whatever.
POL9A