Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
LazyLoki
LazyLoki began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
And So It Begins....

Hi guys,

First post here. I've been using my Sony PRS 505 for the last seven months without problem but today the top-right part of the screen has blanked out and there are vertical and horizontal lines running across it. Naturally I flipped, cried etc and now I'm going to have a go at getting it sorted out.

Been doing a bit of research for the last hour or so and it seems that this is a relatively common occurrence and that it's likely due to a damaged sub-thingumyjig at the back of the display. Therefore Sony are likely to claim that it is not covered by warranty and fixing it will cost me as much as buying a new reader.

Well, bollocks to that I say. I was reading the thing on the train from London to Guildford this afternoon with no problems. Spent a couple of hours in Guildford and when I opened it on the train home the screen wasn't working. The reader was in my bag, in it's case and there was no impacts or being squashed or anything like that. So the way I see it is that if it is a fault then it should be a no-nonsence repair/replace (by the retailer, in this case Waterstone's) or if it is 'user damage' as I suspect they will claim then the product is not fit for purpose as any kind of portable consumer item should be able to stand up to being in a bag for a couple of hours.

So, I'm off to Waterstone's tomorrow, receipt in hand and armed with a printout of the Sale of Goods Act to see what they say. Thought I'd create this thread for the good of any current or future victims of this problem. If Waterstone's try to give me the brush off then I'm going to see it through to the bitter end on this one I think.

Oh, by the way, before I get started does anyone think I'm being unreasonable?
LazyLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome to MR. Sorry that it took you to get a problem with the reader to join, but better late than never.

If the warranty is still valid - go for it. And good luck for you. Let us know how it pans out.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2010, 02:45 AM   #3
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Sorry about your reader

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all. I personally would expect any gadget to last for several years. I was very disappointed when my MacBook died after 2 years - that is pretty poor for a laptop. But yours should be covered for the first 12 months, right? So I would expect a refund or immediate replacement from waterstones. I doubt if they'll have the 505 still but if you get a refund, you can choose something else or go elsewhere to shop. Don't be fobbed off - you have rights!
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
LazyLoki
LazyLoki began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Ah well, didn't get a chance to go in to Waterstone's today so my wrath will have to wait until Monday. I must say that I'm not particularly hopeful of this first attempt as once they've sold it, Waterstone's seem to want to have as little to do with the reader as possible:

Can I return my Reader?

nb: Waterstones.com do not offer refunds or replacements on unwanted Readers.

If for any reason your Reader from Sony is faulty, you should adhere to the following procedure so the issue can be resolved as swiftly as possible:

You can register your Reader from Sony for repairs by using Sony's Repair Service.

If you are unsure if your product is faulty, first check the frequently asked questions (FAQs) found under the Service and Support links found on the sony.co.uk website: alternatively call the Sony Customer Information centre on 08705 111 999 or 00 353 1 413 1771 if calling from the Republic of Ireland (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm).

Although we are happy to accept faulty Readers back to Waterstone's Returns Department, Waterstones Book Hub, Unipart Logistics, Fifth Avenue, Centrum One Hundred, Burton Upon Trent DE14 2UZ, the return will be dealt with far more swiftly if the procedure above is followed.

This is in violation of the consumers statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 although they do carefully cover their own backs by saying that they are 'happy' to accept faulty readers although the wording would suggest they aren't too ecstatic about it.

Anyway, I'll leave it till monday to pass judgement but in case anyone else has this problem in future and the retailer tells you to send it to Sony (or Apple, or anyone for that matter), tell that this is not the case. When you buy a product, any product, you are entering into a contract with the seller, not the manufacturer. If they want to send the product to Sony then that is all well and good but it's nothing to do with you. They have their own contract with Sony. The Sony European Warrantee is about as much use as a chocolate teapot but it is important to remember that this warranty is in addition to your statutory rights, it does not replace or supersede them. I get the feeling that the shop might have trouble believing this, to be fair to them I don't expect they have a lot of returns under Warranty in a book shop!
LazyLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Sorry for your problems and Good Luck! I believe I've heard of others succeeding in returning/exchanging there.

Keep us posted and in the mean time check out all the fun things to do here on the site!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 04:19 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good luck LazyLoki. I read some pretty glowing reports here recently about Waterstone's customer service. Hope you find them helpful too. Best. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote