Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-20-2008, 01:35 AM   #1
KindleMan
Enthusiast
KindleMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Ok, now that I have it now what.....

Traded in the Sony 505 for the Kindle. Mainly due to the fact that overall, books seem to be cheaper at Amazon. I have the same complaints that many others do ie, buttons on the side are way too big, On/Off buttons on the back and not easy to get to with the cover on if one wants to keep the Kindle locked in etc. (It's almost enuf to send the Kindle back but, I like the book prices!).
I know a lot of people complained about Sony's online book store, but there were some things I liked about it, like New Releases, Bundle specials an occational promotion etc. Does Amazon have anything like that on their Online website? I know that you can access New Books using the Kindle, but what about online? I haven't found it yet for Kindle books. Also, what's the recommended address I should bookmark to get to the Kindle site at Amazon? So far for me, there's too many mouse clicks to get to the Kindle Book page. I've been lurking on Mobileread for over year and I know I'll be impressed with the ideas that ya'll have to make my transition to the Kindle easy!
Thanks in advance!

PS Do I need to change my User Name now?
KindleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:50 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyMan View Post
Traded in the Sony 505 for the Kindle. Mainly due to the fact that overall, books seem to be cheaper at Amazon. I have the same complaints that many others do ie, buttons on the side are way too big, On/Off buttons on the back and not easy to get to with the cover on if one wants to keep the Kindle locked in etc. (It's almost enuf to send the Kindle back but, I like the book prices!).
I know a lot of people complained about Sony's online book store, but there were some things I liked about it, like New Releases, Bundle specials an occational promotion etc. Does Amazon have anything like that on their Online website? I know that you can access New Books using the Kindle, but what about online? I haven't found it yet for Kindle books. Also, what's the recommended address I should bookmark to get to the Kindle site at Amazon? So far for me, there's too many mouse clicks to get to the Kindle Book page. I've been lurking on Mobileread for over year and I know I'll be impressed with the ideas that ya'll have to make my transition to the Kindle easy!
Thanks in advance!

May want to change your name and just don't call the Kindle 'ugly' and we'll get along just fine.
I had the same problem finding the kindle book page online, lets see amazon.com, .......books........kindle books.......so once I got to that page, I just grabbed the website and put it on my firefox favorites bar which is at the top of the page......now when I want to look anything up on it its just one click away. If you aren't running firefox, I don't know what to tell you, but someone here will. Or you can just click 'bookmark' ........ when you are on the Kindle Book site, you can sort by lowest to high, (the free books will always show first), best sellers, etc.
The buttons aren't an issue with me........after a little while, my hands automatically know where to hold it without accidentally hittng them. When I used the original cover, it was easy to slip my fingers between the cover and back.......so I think if you give it a chance, you'll find you are happy with your choice.......if not, Amazon has a great return policy and I wouldn't hesitate to let them know. Too much money to keep something you just don't love. Enjoy, and welcome to the forum.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2008, 02:42 AM   #3
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Calling the Kindle Ugly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
May want to change your name and just don't call the Kindle 'ugly' and we'll get along just fine.
I had the same problem finding the kindle book page online, lets see amazon.com, .......books........kindle books.......so once I got to that page, I just grabbed the website and put it on my firefox favorites bar which is at the top of the page......now when I want to look anything up on it its just one click away. If you aren't running firefox, I don't know what to tell you, but someone here will. Or you can just click 'bookmark' ........ when you are on the Kindle Book site, you can sort by lowest to high, (the free books will always show first), best sellers, etc.
The buttons aren't an issue with me........after a little while, my hands automatically know where to hold it without accidentally hittng them. When I used the original cover, it was easy to slip my fingers between the cover and back.......so I think if you give it a chance, you'll find you are happy with your choice.......if not, Amazon has a great return policy and I wouldn't hesitate to let them know. Too much money to keep something you just don't love. Enjoy, and welcome to the forum.
See I knew we should have made a sticky for the NEWBS!
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Thanks in advance!

Nah! Don't change your User Name. It's a lot of fun seeing that the SonyMan is carrying a Kindle! I've had my Kindle since February and love it -- and the availability/pricing of current releases is a major part of the reason. But I just now broke down and bought a PRS 505 as well. One motivating factor was to be able to speak from experience when comparing the two.

I don't have any problem with the big buttons on the Kindle when I'm reading. The only time I accidentally press one is when I'm handing the Kindle to someone else. I always "lock up" by pressing the Alt-Aa keys whenever I put the Kindle down. The only switch I use is the antenna switch, and it's very easy to lift the corner to toggle it up or down. I leave the antenna off most of the time; turning it on every second or third day when I'm within an EVDO service area.

I did find that the tab that locks the Kindle into the case is not glued very well. When my case got warm, the glue softened and the tab slid deeper into the slot, which meant that my Kindle was no longer held in the case. I grabbed the tab with my hemostats (you could use tweezers), repositioned it, and glued it firmly into place with good old cyanoacryllic glue. My Kindle is extremely secure in the case now.

Since you've been hanging around MobileRead for a while you know all about the nice people and the great books. Be sure to download a copy of the MobileRead MobiPocket Download Guide and put it on your Kindle. That way, you can download books from here through the WhisperNet. Just another reason why I love the Kindle so much!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:14 AM   #5
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Elsi,
Make sure to post a comparison between the two now that you have a 505!

JJ
Advert
Old 07-20-2008, 09:38 AM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Elsi,
Make sure to post a comparison between the two now that you have a 505!

JJ
Oh, I will! The Sony is being shipped to my house in Texas. I'm in North Carolina. It may be a race to see which arrives first. I'd like to beat it to Texas since my hubby is a bit piqued about the three boxes of books that arrived last Wednesday. I had forgotten to tell him about them! I'll post the story of the boxes of books in the lounge.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

Yes, you shoud change your name to Sinny (Kinny is already taken).

Re: the bundles (an idea I love), do some comparison pricing. I recall Pilotbob (where is he?) doing a comparison on one bundle (James Patterson?) and it was still cheaper to buy the books individually from Amazon. That may not always be the case but pricing may be close enough that you won't miss the bundling.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Yes, you shoud change your name to Sinny (Kinny is already taken).
Oh look the duck has jokes! I think there is a thread for that! I seem to recall something about a duck, armadillo and a bar??

JJ

Last edited by jerryleejr; 07-20-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:26 PM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
It's probably been covered, but I leave the Whispernet off (unless I'm buying books) and just leave the Kindle on all the time. I hit the alt and AA keys to put it to sleep rather than turning it off.

However, I also keep the charger by my bed, and usually leave the Kindle charging overnight.

I got used to the buttons fairly easily. Most often, I read with the Kindle in the case, both pages open, and my left thumb up turning the pages. I have long fingers ... so that works for me.

Most of the time, I do my shopping on the computer. It's nice to have the ability to buy books on the fly, and I have done that, but it's not my method of choice.

I created a bookplate screensaver with my name, address and phone number on it just in case. Unlikely that I'll lose it ... but you never know.

I hope you enjoy your Kindle.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since RickyM was so helpful, I'll hop on with a useful link to Brent Newhall's Fan Guide full of tips and tricks not in the Official User Guide. You can purchase it from Amazon or download the free pdf version from the above link.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #11
cush
Virtual Staggerwing Flier
cush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle (and an iMac)
I think you will enjoy your Kindle. The buttons require a little getting used to but are manageable. You've gotten some very useful advice from the other posters.

I added some Velcro(tm) to the two longer back edges with matching strips on the inside of the standard case. I used the stick on kind you can get for sewing projects. My local drugstore had some. This keeps the Kindle secure in the case. The tape gives some standoff from the case so it's easier to reach the back switches (we leave the Whispernet switch off unless downloading). We leave the Kindle in sleep mode all the time when it's not being used.

I also added a little sticky backed "lump"-the kind sold to put on the bottom of vases-eo the inside of the front cover. It's placed so that it provides a spacer that prevents the cover from pressing on the scroll switch when closed.

If you fold the cover around behind the Kindle and secure it with the elastic you can use the larger left edge to hold while reading- easier to prevent unwanted button pressing.
cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:24 PM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Since RickyM was so helpful, I'll hop on with a useful link to Brent Newhall's Fan Guide full of tips and tricks not in the Official User Guide. You can purchase it from Amazon or download the free pdf version from the above link.
OK .... now here's a question about Brent's book. According to the Kindle specs, internally it has 180 MB of useable internal storage. And that will hold a little more than 200 books.

Yet, Brent says that on a 1 GB SD card, you should only expect to be able to store 300 books. That makes no sense. A 1 GB card should be able to store close to 1000 books.

I mean ... they don't store larger on the SD card .... so, I wonder what gives??
Old 07-20-2008, 03:38 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Typo? I don't know. Send him an email. This is the 4th edition so it seems he makes changes and updates.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:42 PM   #14
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Typo? I don't know. Send him an email. This is the 4th edition so it seems he makes changes and updates.
Hmmm ... ok. I suppose I could do that. It certainly makes sense to do that. And, I can't read or even take a nap right now because the sealant on the floor in front of the bedroom door is still wet. So, why not an email??

Then, I'll start sanding the drawers I can reach that are over sections of floor that are already dry. But .... first an email. Yes.

I'm losing my mind aren't I .... paint fumes ... it's all these paint fumes.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

You are so funny, you krazy kat kindle lady.

Tags
duck!