Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
What to read next

Every wonder what to read next. Looking for a site that will help.

There are a few sites online that I am aware of that can help you out.

The most basic is:

whatshouldIreadnext.com - Put in a book title and it will list a half dozen recommendations of similar books. This info is based on the memberships recomendations. You can become a member and get more focused recos... However, I have never done this since typing in a book name is easy enough.

librarything.com - This is a great site to catalog all the books you have read. You can tag them too. I started creating tags for the month/year that I read the book. I basically entered all the books that were on my bookshelves and what I read from memory. Once you have these entered you can go to the recomendation link and it will recomend books based on your current library and I think your ratings. You can also review books, compare you library to others, track books series coverage and alot more I'm not even aware of. this is free up to 200 books I think. But, a life time membership is only $25 or $10 a year if you prefer. Check out my library at http://www.librarything.com/catalog/PilotBob.

goodreads.com - This is similar to librarything... I have to admit I am not a member here, but may sign up to give it a try. I think some MR members use this site. Here is a blurb from the site:
Have you ever wanted a better way to:

• see what your friends are reading?
  • keep track of what you've read and what you'd like to read?
  • get great book recommendations from people you know?

Anyway... love to hear if anyone else knows of any other automated/social networking places to get book recos.

BOb

PS: DixieGal, hope this is good!
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thank you so much! I had no idea these resources are available. Practically every other book I buy turns out to be a dud, so I really appreciate the guidance.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
librarything.com -
goodreads.com -
Similar in intent is Shelfari. I believe that Shelfari just got bought by Amazon.com -- some discussion on my bookswapping fora.

www.shelfari.com

"Welcome to Shelfari!

Shelfari is the premier social network for people who love books.

Create a virtual shelf to show off your books, see what your friends are reading and discover new books - all for free!"
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I find the lists that retailers, like Amazon, let users put up can be quite fruitful.

I look to see what else is on the lists that contain one of my favourite reads.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I ought to also post a link to www.fantasticfiction.co.uk

This site is where I turn to find all the books (and in the correct order) by various authors. Lots of information on forthcoming books, too.

Look up an author you like -- find book recommendations by that author. Lists of authors as in "visitors to this author's page also looked at ..."

I refer to this site quite frequently.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Stop, You're Killing Me isn't a social networking site, but it's one of the coolest cross-referenced mystery book sites I've encountered.

Quote:
Stop, You’re Killing Me! is a resource for lovers of mystery, crime, thriller, spy, and suspense books. We list over 2,500 authors, with chronological lists of their books (nearly 29,000 titles), both series (2,900+) and non-series.
Books are also listed by location, job/profession (of the main character), historical (time period), diversity, and genre. I wish there was a search option to allow a search for all the criteria at once, but I've stumbled across several very good reads while browsing the lists. The read-alike lists are broken down by author and category. Most of the listings include links to Amazon.com where you can read the plot synopsis and reviews.

There's even a little ebook component to this site. Sign up for the newsletter. It regularly includes a list of ebooks recently released in Kindle format.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
According to "WhatShouldIReadNext.com", I should read: Error 500 by Internal Server Error. Hmm... sounds like a French author.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
According to "WhatShouldIReadNext.com", I should read: Error 500 by Internal Server Error. Hmm... sounds like a French author.
Wow, what book title did you enter?
Old 09-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
hey now, what is THAT supposed to mean ???
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:03 PM   #10
etitameh
Enthusiast
etitameh doesn't litteretitameh doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
ooh, me too! we must be, like, totally soulmates.
etitameh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
For Russian speakers, there's http://imhonet.ru/ (it does more than books too).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:34 PM   #12
etitameh
Enthusiast
etitameh doesn't litteretitameh doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
seems to be working again, for me at least. it's a nifty site, thanks for the recommendation!

edit: i checked out their beta site for music and movies, too, thisonenext.com, and saw this note at the bottom of the page:
Quote:
Tip: you can also access book, film and music only versions of this site
ThisOneNext is the new name for What Should I Read Next?

Last edited by etitameh; 09-03-2008 at 11:37 PM.
etitameh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #13
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Here is a link for a fun gadget that shows authors who produce work similiar to the author you input. The closer the names, the more similiar the style. http://www.literature-map.com/

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #14
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Here is a link for a fun gadget that shows authors who produce work similiar to the author you input. The closer the names, the more similiar the style. http://www.literature-map.com/

Ooo, I like that - thanks for the link!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post

cheers
Interesting but how accurate is it. For example, I put in Dan Brown and Michael Critchton was right next to him. But, when I click on Michael Critchton Dan Brown moved much further away. Shouldn't the map be basically the same just switch who is in the middle?

BOb