Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
notatech
notatech began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo2
How to transfer Ipod books to kobo glo

I have an ipod touch that I had downloaded free ebooks onto and would like to put them into my kobo glo. Does anyone know how I can do this? I haven't been able to find any information on how to do that. Is it possible?
notatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
Tsu
Nameless Being

Unfortunately, Apple iBooks are protected by DRM and can't be sent to your Kobo device.
Advert
Old 03-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
notatech

what is drm? I was hoping to get all those books transferred over
Old 03-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
What app are you using on your iPod? Where did the books come from originally? Are they recent or out of copyright books? Can you give an example of a couple of the books, if you don't know?

If they're free ebooks from somewhere like Project Gutenberg, you can just go there and download the epub version for your Glo. Or if they're books that you downloaded from Kobo through the Kobo app on your iPod, they should be in your Kobo library and you can get them onto your Glo through a sync. If they're recent books you're reading in iBooks, however, things may be far more complicated.

To find out more about DRM (Digital Rights Management), Wikipedia and Apprentice Alf are your friends. However, people here cannot give direct advice on how to remove it.

Last edited by meeera; 03-07-2013 at 12:14 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:59 AM   #5
Tsu
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by notatech View Post
what is drm? I was hoping to get all those books transferred over
DRM is Digital Rights Management, and it's a way for publishers to enforce copyright laws on e-books - DRM means that you can only read Apple's e-books on Apple's devices, Amazon's e-books on Kindle devices and applications, et cetera. Though many people advocate DRM removal, it is illegal to remove it in many countries.
Advert
Old 03-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Please post in the correct forum.

Your thread has been moved.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
I have an ipod touch that I had downloaded free ebooks onto and would like to put them into my kobo glo. Does anyone know how I can do this? I haven't been able to find any information on how to do that. Is it possible?
I wrote the following for the Kobo iOS app, but it applies to any Kobo, or in fact any non Apple device / app:

Can I transfer a book I have purchased from the iBookstore and that I read in iBooks, to the Kobo iOS application?
If the books purchased from the iBookstore are DRM (Digital Rights Management) free (Go to iTunes, find the book and use the Get Info option on it, if it says Book or Purchased Book then it will be DRM free) then you should be able to side-load them onto a device / app that supports such files, for example the Kobo iOS application. If the book is not DRM free (again go to iTunes, use Get Info on the book, and if it says Protected Book then it contains Apple's DRM) then you will not be able to read it in anything other than iBooks. This is due to it using Apple's proprietary DRM format with no other application except iBooks can read.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
notatech

The ibooks on my ipod are from the itunes store and they were free books that I had downloaded. I just purchased my kobo and was hoping to transfer them from the itunes library on my laptop into the kobo. Not sure if I am making any sense, I am not very good with electronics
Old 03-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
The ibooks on my ipod are from the itunes store and they were free books that I had downloaded. I just purchased my kobo and was hoping to transfer them from the itunes library on my laptop into the kobo. Not sure if I am making any sense, I am not very good with electronics
If you run iTunes and look at the left hand list of items it should have a Books section. If you right click on the book and select Get Info, look and see what the Kind field states. If it's Book or Purchased Book then it should be DRM free, which is what we want.

Right click again on the book and select the Show In Finder / windows Explorer and it should show you the book file itself, at which point you'll need to get them onto your Touch.

This video could give info on how to do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpG9uznjbM0

I'm sure others will detail how to get DRM free ePbus onto the touch if that video does not work.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
notatech

The books are on my ipod and I wanted to transfer to my kobo. From what I am seeing here, and please do correct me if I am wrong, this is all to transfer kobo to ipod. Am I right? Sorry to sound so dense, but I don't do technology very well, without specific directions.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
frddgls
Connoisseur
frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma, iPad, Samsung Galaxy A20
Your books are on you iPod. Are they also in your iTunes library?

I transfer drm free books from my iTunes library into Calibre. I transfer them from Calibre onto my Kobo Touch.
frddgls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
notatech

Yes, they are in my iTunes library, so Calibre is something I will have to download onto my laptop and from there can put them into my kobo. Sorry, sometimes need specific instructions. Do I transfer from iTunes to Calibre and then to Kobo? Is it easy is my other question.

Last edited by notatech; 03-07-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
notatech

I did download calibre onto my laptop, it asks for the reader that I have, so I clicked on Kobo, is that right? It doesn't show ipod on it all.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #14
frddgls
Connoisseur
frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.

Just a minute while I load Calibre so I can make sure my instructions are right.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
frddgls
Connoisseur

In the upper left hand corner of the Calibre window there is an image of a red book with a plus sign. click on it. In Windows 7 this brings up a window labeled select books. In the left hand collum I click on Music. The center of the window then allows me to double click on iTunes. Then I double click on iTunes music. Then I double click on Books. Then I see folders with authors names on them. Double click on the folder of the author you want to download. Double click on the book title. The book will open in Calibre.

You still need to check to make sure that the book is DRM free. If you can open and read the book in Calibre it is DRM free.

sorry for the delay, I'm at work.