Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Mobile Sites

Notices

Old 06-20-2004, 11:28 AM   #1
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Wimbledon!

Tennis anyone? This year you can follow live Wimbledon action using your internet enabled PDA or smartphone giving you the latest scores, match results, order of play, and player biographies.

IBM, who is responsible for all the tech stuff this year, is piloting streaming live action to wireless devices for the first time. Follow the action with a 'Pocket Wimbledon' version of the website, optimised for PDA display over GPRS.

This year they're also using a secure Wi-Fi LAN with 100 client laptops and desktops and 60 PDAs. The units are deployed in the players' lounge, the press centre, and at access points around the grounds.

Official Wimbledon Championships mobile services are offered by 3 and 02 in the UK, and ESPN Wireless in the U.S.

Go Roger! Go Amelie!
Old 06-21-2004, 03:14 AM   #2
DaNDeE
Connoisseur
DaNDeE began at the beginning.

Device: Newton/iPhone/iPad
Ball < than one pixel

Wonder if you you can see the ball in the livestreams. It will be smaller than one dot - this will look like some virtual ghost tennis or something.
Advert
Old 06-22-2004, 11:50 AM   #3
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Just a quick update. I've been running around for the past two days, and trying to follow the live action via my smartphone.

Believe it or not, the very best site I've found is pda.wimbledon.org -- hands down. It looks great through NetFront browsers. You can also clip it for offline reading.

Did I mention that I'm a tennis maniac? (Or is that just 'maniac'? )
Old 06-23-2004, 02:57 AM   #4
DaNDeE
Connoisseur
DaNDeE began at the beginning.

Device: Newton/iPhone/iPad
Yeah, it even looks nice on a normal browser. At least one can get an impression on this may look like. Like the player stats.

Didn't know, that browsers on smartphones and PDAs support Javascript - the source has some little script in it.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:02 AM   #5
sUnShInE
Drama Queen

Yep. There's three smartphone browsers on the market right now. Sorta like Goldilocks: the big one, the little one, and the one that's "juuuuust right". Respectively: Opera, NetFront and Doris.

I've tried all three and my choice is obvious, though I'm looking forward to Mozilla's jump in the game.

Speaking of games, these rain delays are bumming me out. I want tennis!!
Advert
Old 06-23-2004, 09:08 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sUnShInE
Speaking of games, these rain delays are bumming me out. I want tennis!!
I happen to personally know DaNDeE... you are talking to one of the best tennis players in the world here... well, at least, he has always beaten me ;(
Old 06-23-2004, 11:38 AM   #7
sUnShInE
Drama Queen

Hmm. That says something considering you live in Roger Federer's home country!

I'm an A-#1 fan, who unfortunately cannot play anymore due to back injury.

Feel free to banter about the Master's with me anytime.