Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
jcards
jcards began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle Touch, Kobo Touch or Sony PRS-T1

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here so if I'm in the wrong place, please let me know!
And thanks in advance for your advice and expertise on these products, it is much appreciated as I know nothing!

Here's what I'd like to know...

I'm looking for my first e-reader and I'm trying to decide between the Kindle Touch ($139), the Kobo Touch ($119), and the Sony Touch PRS-T1 ($119). I'm a Canadian and have never physically seen the Kindle but I will be in NYC in a few weeks and could buy it there.

Features that are important to me are:
- Reliable and easy-to-use dictionaries (both English and French but mainly French)
- Easy-to-use translator (for French to English or Italian to English)
- Attractive, user-friendly, and reliable interface and software
- Responsive screen
- Fast page turns
- Good selection of English and French books in the associated e-book store and decent pricing (although this won't matter if i can buy from anywhere and use on any device... is this possible?)
- Screen quality (although I think all three have the same E-Ink Pearl so it doesn't seem to be an issue)

I'm not too bothered if I have to use some sort of conversion software to be able to read amazon books on another e-reader, or read non-amazon books on the kindle (as long as this process is fairly easy and works on a mac).

Audio doesn't really matter to me, neither does the size of the hard drive as I doubt I will ever have thousands of books on it at once.

I don't know how annoying or problematic it would be to have the Kindle Touch in Canada.

Thank you!!

Last edited by jcards; 02-11-2012 at 08:10 PM.
jcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
It is not a problem to have a Kindle Touch in Canada. In fact, you can order one today from Amazon Canada. Your book selection will be smaller than if you had a US Amazon account, but that's an unfortunate byproduct of geo-restrictions, and will be the same for any device. OTOH, if it's a problem, it's fairly straight-forward to create a US Amazon account and use that -- it's what I do. And I keep a Canadian Kobo account for those few books that are available in Canada, but not in the US.

You'll need to format shift between ePub and Mobi/Kindle formats if you buy from a store that isn't your native store for the device. Doing so involves stripping DRM (legal for personal use in Canada at this time) and then converting with Calibre. (There is a Mac version.) All in all, a very minor nuisance, especially since you'll likely find Calibre a "must have" application for managing your books if you have very many of them.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Kindle, and the ease and simplicity of the interface. I've got a Kindle Keyboard, and find it almost impossible to read a conventional book any more. The Kindle has excellent dictionaries, but I honestly don't know what the situation is WRT bilingual dictionaries.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
I did the same research, for the same three ereaders. Although I did not really like the plasticky cover of the Kobo.
I used to buy books from Amazon, Kindle but did not want limit myself just to one store. So I got the Sony PRS-T1 and LOVE IT!. What I really like is first dedicated public library icon which takes me to my local library. So super easy to get free books! Once you set it up, you go directly to your library and browse or hold titles. What I also really like is that it has the touch screen to flip the pages as well the buttons. I like that option. I use the buttons most of the time but reading in bed, while hubby sleeps, I flip the pages with the touch screen . I purchase books from Kobo (90% because they have great deals and discounts) and sometimes from Sony ereader store. Never thought I would borrow so many books. Since I got this one for Christmas, I have read 5 or 6 books! If you decide to get the Sony, get the cover with light. So cute and handy, its like a little book cover and light is already set up, just fold it over your screen. Love it, love it, love it.
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
I don't think that any of them will translate phrases for you. The Sony has integrated dictionary support with five languages supported (French, Italian, German, Spanish, and Dutch) for translation to and from English. There are also two English language dictionaries that provide definitions. Double tap on a word and a little window pops up at the bottom of the page with the definition. Tap anyplace on the page outside the window and the window goes away. Tap inside the window and you get the full dictionary page.

Personally, I think that the Kindle and Sony both have better software than the Kobo. For the Kobo and the Sony, you can buy books from anywhere except B&N, Apple, and Amazon. www.inkmesh.com is a good way to see where specific books are offered. Before Agency pricing, it was also a good place to find bargains. As CRussell said, it's quick and easy to remove DRM and then use Calibre to convert to the format of your choice. If you're willing to do that, then you can buy from anyplace but Apple.

The page turns, responsive screen, and screen quality is virtually identical for all three readers. All e-ink readers have a flash when you turn the page, but you don't notice that any more than you notice the pause as you turn the page in a paper book.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I don't think that any of them will translate phrases for you. The Sony has integrated dictionary support with five languages supported (French, Italian, German, Spanish, and Dutch) for translation to and from English. There are also two English language dictionaries that provide definitions. Double tap on a word and a little window pops up at the bottom of the page with the definition. Tap anyplace on the page outside the window and the window goes away. Tap inside the window and you get the full dictionary page.
The OP, however, requires a French dictionary, not a translation dictionary. The Kindle is, I believe, the only one to which a "proper" French dictionary can be added. It doesn't ship with one as standard, but you can buy one in the Amazon Kindle store.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
jcards

Thank you all for your advice! It's down to the Sony PRS-T1 and the Kindle Touch and it sounds like I can't go wrong with either.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcards View Post
Thank you all for your advice! It's down to the Sony PRS-T1 and the Kindle Touch and it sounds like I can't go wrong with either.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out!
If you need a French dictionary don't get the Kobo, at this time they only have and English one.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
If its down to Kindle or Sony, consider a Sony if you like to borrow books from library.
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
That could be a very important point - the Kindle will work with US libraries, but won't with European ones, and I don't know about Canadian.

I also have a T1 and would agree with all bcgirl says in her earlier message.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
jcards

Based on the replies I got on here, I decided to go with the Sony, since I could buy it here pretty easily and for significantly less. It seems great so far and I figure, if I change my mind, I can gift it to my mom and go for the Kindle. But so far, I love it and I do like the library feature, something I never thought I'd care too much about! And it does come with French-English and Italian-English dictionaries pre-loaded so that was perfect.

Next up is the search for a great case... (thanks bcgirl for the tip about the one with the built-in light!).

Thanks for sharing your advice!!

Last edited by jcards; 02-15-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcards View Post
Based on the replies I got on here, I decided to go with the Sony, since I could buy it here pretty easily and for significantly less. It seems great so far and I figure, if I change my mind, I can gift it to my mom and go for the Kindle. But so far, I love it and I do like the library feature, something I never thought I'd care too much about! And it does come with French-English and Italian-English dictionaries pre-loaded so that was perfect.

Next up is the search for a great case...

Thanks for sharing your advice!!
Glad you got it sorted. I use a Navitech case - not the best-made case ever, but it does hide the glossy bezel and was v. cheap. There's a thread somewhere discussing all sorts of cases and sleeves.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #12
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Congrats on getting the Sony! They are great readers.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote