Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 01-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
ste9hen
ste9hen began at the beginning.

Device: sony mobile
Which logos should have made it into the voting (if any)?

As one of the people to have spent many hours over christmas trying to come up with a logo design, and then wait weeks to find out they had not made the voting, i thought it might be good to have a discussion on whether people feel some of them should have been considered, or what they were missing.
ste9hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
ste9hen

my designs

I would like some comments on why people think that none of my designs made the voting (they are at the top of the original entry thread).

i thought at least one of mine met the brief well, where as some of those that did make it are too complicated and cluttered.

feel to also comment on other peoples designs that did not make it.

those whos did, are any of you based outside the US?
Advert
Old 01-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste9hen View Post
I would like some comments on why people think that none of my designs made the voting (they are at the top of the original entry thread).

i thought at least one of mine met the brief well, where as some of those that did make it are too complicated and cluttered.

I think that your logo that looks like a guy reading a book on rollerskates was a bit cartoonish. The same for your flying book logos. As for your Logos on wheels submissions I can only say that they did not work for me.
Attached Images

Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:03 AM   #4
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I think that your logo that looks like a guy reading a book on rollerskates was a bit cartoonish. The same for your flying book logos. As for your Logos on wheels submissions I can only say that they did not work for me.
Though I do not know what it has to do with it I am from outside the U.S.

Happy about that too unless they bring an America-only product out again.

About the logos's as displayed in the post above. I find them too.. immature. I prefer a professional logo for a site/community while yours are playful. Silly.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:58 AM   #5
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone

You'll learn, with time, that not everyone likes everything you design.
Then you can deal with it in a mature manner.

I had problems, at the beginning of my career, when (what I called) amateurs tried to optimize layouts I did for them. With time I realized, the worm must be tasty for the fish, not the fisherman.

So, your Design was scrapped. Next one will be better.

By the way, I like the way you symbolized the "M" and "R" letters.
But the rest was just too childish; it's something you expect to find on kids' toys.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2008, 04:12 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Why wasnt my logo included ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobileread-dummy.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	9513  
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:20 AM   #7
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
You're German!
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:46 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
This one would be a nice supplement to:
MobileRead: Because libraries are heavy
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:35 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste9hen View Post

You want honest I'll give you my take. Before that, I'll say your graphics are very good and imaginative and they are not limited by the presence of a 'temporal influenced' device

I think personnally that it's a question of mood, that logo would suit a children's reading site much better.

Quote:
Not personnal, I think that it was a complex graphic and was disqualified because of it. A simpler design is required... sorry!

Personnally I would have put two persons, one with a reader and the other one slaving with that wheelwagon looking jealously at the first. But then again diqualified for complexity. :loudbuzzersound:

You know, your design can still be used in conjunction with news headlines. I'm sure it would befit some news!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Not personnal, I think that it was a complex graphic and was disqualified because of it. A simpler design is required... sorry!
I was just joking. I know its too complex. I like the idea though. I simply did not have the time to do a stylish simplified version of it. So no offense taken.

And it would have been chosen if i werent german ... joking again
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #11
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
IMO I think that all submitted logos should have been put to a preliminary poll and later the top X winners should have been in a final vote. Regardless of if people liked your logos or not, you put time and effort into them, so they should have been considered with the rest of them.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
IMO I think that all submitted logos should have been put to a preliminary poll and later the top X winners should have been in a final vote. Regardless of if people liked your logos or not, you put time and effort into them, so they should have been considered with the rest of them.
Absolutely! Just like voting in France, Italy and other countries. There are so many parties in those places that a first vote is required for sorting from the chaff and a second turn allows a definite choice to be made. Logical, efficient and democratic.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:08 PM   #13
ste9hen

Smile

Thanks for the kind comments.

I'd be the first to admit that some of my first designs were a little too complicated.

My favourite ones of my designs are the ones with the wheels. I felt they fit well with the breif of being open and friendly.

Where as i do like many of the designs that were picked, i feel there are too many stuffy ones with 'devices'.

I would have liked bigger variation of options to vote on.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:44 PM   #14
Lexicon
Enthusiast
Lexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
It's obvious that there were too many entries for them all to go into a single vote and I personally believe that having multiple heats may well have caused people to lose interest in the project (voting on your favourite logo the first time is fun, the fifth time, not so much). I'm not entirely happy about how the pre-selection was done, however.

I think it would have been better if those who submitted multiple entries had been asked to pick one (or perhaps two) of their logos to be entered into the public vote, with each entrant guaranteed at least one logo in the vote.

That way the number of logos would have been reduced to a manageable level but the creators would still have a say in which of their design(s) they will be judged on, and everybody who put in the effort of designing a logo would have a shot at the prize.

Having said all that, the owners of the site have a right to run their competition any way they please. In my opinion they are being very generous in allowing a public vote on the logo - in their place I would have asked for submissions and then picked the winner myself!
Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote