Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-04-2011, 01:54 AM   #1
Stngray
Stngray began at the beginning.

Device: nook STR, iPhone 4, 3G iPad
nook tablet leak and STR price drop

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/03/n...no-annoying-a/
Stngray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
It seems like the Nook Tablet will be an "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" type upgrade.

Faster processor and much more memory are worthy upgrades.

I would have preferred a 4:3 screen, and some buttons on the bezel to turn pages with like the Simple Touch has. The IR touchscreen on the STR is also superior to the capacitive touchscreen on the Color and Tablet.

Still, it fulfills its primary mission of pwning the Kindle Fire.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Nice that you can get both the touch and original color for the same price as Amazon but ad free. I can really do without having ads staring at me on my ebook reader every time I pick it up. I'm tempted by the Touch, but I still like my clunky old Nook Classic. I did get a refurb Nook Color for my daughter for christmas so B&N is still getting support from me.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
Nice that you can get both the touch and original color for the same price as Amazon but ad free. I can really do without having ads staring at me on my ebook reader every time I pick it up. I'm tempted by the Touch, but I still like my clunky old Nook Classic. I did get a refurb Nook Color for my daughter for christmas so B&N is still getting support from me.
I believe you can upgrade your kindle to being ad-free if you so desire.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Are there still ads for books on the homescreen of the NOOKtouch?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
TrvlrsChick
Enthusiast
TrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
The Nook Tablet is now listed on B&N.com.
TrvlrsChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post
I believe you can upgrade your kindle to being ad-free if you so desire.
And pay for it. With the Nook Touch ad free is now $99 so this is the clear winner for me.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7A60UF20111108

As expected.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #9
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
hehe, I was waiting for someone to bring that up...

Yes, they are still there.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Yes, but if you keep your Nook Touch on the libary screen you will never see them.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Yes, but if you keep your Nook Touch on the libary screen you will never see them.
Right. I recall doing that to avoid the homescreeen. Disingenuous of B&N to poke fun at the Kindle with ads. At least Amazon gives you a choice. You don't have to buy the Kindle with ads. With B&N you can't even opt out of that "feature".
Old 11-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #12
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Right. I recall doing that to avoid the homescreeen. Disingenuous of B&N to poke fun at the Kindle with ads. At least Amazon gives you a choice. You don't have to buy the Kindle with ads. With B&N you can't even opt out of that "feature".
When do you ever have to go to the Home screen? It serves no practical purpose and you can simply switch between books and library. IIRC the only time you might see it is when you boot up.

The Kindle ads are not a "once every boot" or "only if I choose them" sort of thing like the Home screen is.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
When do you ever have to go to the Home screen? It serves no practical purpose and you can simply switch between books and library. IIRC the only time you might see it is when you boot up.

The Kindle ads are not a "once every boot" or "only if I choose them" sort of thing like the Home screen is.
I understand trying to justify workarounds when you own something. Been there, done that. Like I said, there is a Kindle with ads and a Kindle without ads. Customers have a choice. Everyone is shocked when they buy a NOOK and realize that crap on the homescreen can't be removed.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #14
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
I don't see it as a "workaround" when you have to actually push the home button to see any ads. The home screen serves no real purpose and there is no reason to manually open it. Why should I be upset about a program that serves ads if I choose never to run the program? You can't choose to "never" see the Kindle ads without a bit of hacking or cover trickery.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #15
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Gotta side with Scion on this. It would be one thing if B&N weren't making a fuss about the Kindle ad versions. Regardless of whether you can avoid seeing the ads by never pressing the home button, the ads are there. It's not an ad-free device.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote