Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
flamand
flamand began at the beginning.

Device: hp touchpad
convert unicode number forms ⅓ and ⅔

I'm sure there's an easy answer, but I haven't been able to find one. I can't figure out how get these two character (⅓ and ⅔). They're in the number forms subrange of unicode. I need them when converting cookbooks. Thanks!
flamand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Are you creating the book source file yourself or does the book source already exist? What format is the book source currently in .doc .html .epub??? What format are you trying to convert to?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
In windows you can open a character map. There you can see the code for the specific font.
½ = Alt+0189
⅓ = U+2153
⅔ = U+2154
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
vulgar fractions:
1/4 ¼ or & # 1 8 8 ;
1/2 ½ 0r & # 1 8 9 ;
3/4 ¾ or & # 1 9 0 ; <remove spaces
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
It's not clear to me what the question is either, but another way to make pseudo fractions would be:

css:
Code:
.den {font-size: 80%;}
.num {font-size: 80%; vertical-align:.5ex}
html:
Code:
<span class="num">22</span>/<span class="den">7</span>
Benefit is any fraction is covered, as only the common ones are explicitly called out in unicode. It's also guaranteed to work across fonts. Downside is I don't know how well it translates to older formats like mobi with limited styling capabilities.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
flamand
flamand began at the beginning.

Device: hp touchpad
Sorry for not being clearer. I have some cookbooks in mobi and some in epub. I'd like to convert between the two. I have an HP Touchpad which doesn't have a decent epub reader, but the Kindle program is quite good. Also I have a couple of cookbooks I bought at Amazon that I'd like to use in my regular Android reader as epubs.

I've noticed that ⅓ and ⅔ don't get converted. Since posting this originally, I should add ⅛, ⅜, ⅝ and ⅞ since these are all common measurements in American cookbooks.

Is there some setting that I could use to tell Calibre to convert these characters properly? Or should I edit the files by hand?

Thanks very much.
flamand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #7
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Calibre shouldn't be doing anything to screw those characters up. The most likely cause is that they're not supported in the font your Kindle software is using.

Try reading the mobi file in Calibre and Kindle for PC to see if the characters show up.

Here are some Kindle test books you can use to verify:
http://freekindlebooks.org/Unicode/unicode.html

You could also try using the 'transliterate unicode characters to ascii' option under look and feel - that function may be smart enough to turn the fractions into vulgar ones.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote