Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-21-2007, 10:14 PM   #16
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Steve, someone seems to have hacked your site and piped in bad new age music.
Philistines.

One thing at a time... first, let me figure out how I'm going to take action on an incompetent registrar on the other side of the planet from me. Then I'll think about music. And in the meantime, you can always mute your speakers...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:19 PM   #17
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Philistines.
And in the meantime, you can always mute your speakers...
I could, but that would be wrong.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2007, 06:47 AM   #18
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, I think I've taken care of the ISP problem (of course, I've been wrong before... including, apparently, my background music choices...), and everyone should have access to the site again within about 24 hours. Cross your fingers...
Old 10-22-2007, 08:20 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The good news is that because I use Firefox, I've never been subjected to tacky/bad/annoying background music of any kind. Thank you Firefox for not supporting background music.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:28 AM   #20
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The good news is that because I use Firefox, I've never been subjected to tacky/bad/annoying background music of any kind. Thank you Firefox for not supporting background music.
Thats odd, I use Firefox and I had the music when I went to the site?
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2007, 11:14 AM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Thats odd, I use Firefox and I had the music when I went to the site?
I think there's an setting in Firefox's options somewhere to turn off embedded music -- I seem to have a brief but happy memory of gleefully disabling background music, and I don't get any music on Steve's site either.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #22
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I think there's an setting in Firefox's options somewhere to turn off embedded music -- I seem to have a brief but happy memory of gleefully disabling background music, and I don't get any music on Steve's site either.
You can set that in Internet Explorer too. I do it with the older computers. I cut animations, music and even images.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:02 PM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I just wish I could find the setting again, so I can be sure I'm not just imagining it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:05 PM   #24
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I just wish I could find the setting again, so I can be sure I'm not just imagining it.
I'm not sure what you mean but this is what I meant in the previous post and I translate roughly, my OS is French.
Tools/Internet options/Advanced and then you just tick the settings
Old 10-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #25
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

BTW Finally I can reach the site properly. I don't find the music annoying at all, it's totally in line with sci-fi and it's not invasive like some.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:12 PM   #26
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

FYI: The background music on my site (from the 2005 movie Solaris) is done in Flash, chosen for its unobtrusiveness, and is purposely set low in volume (it might be playing, and you just haven't noticed it!). Turning off Javascript will often disable Flash, as well as turning off Flash (or never downloading the plug-in in the first place).

BTW: Yvan, glad you can finally access the site normally again... and that someone's admitted to being okay with the music!

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 10-23-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:14 PM   #27
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
FYI: The background music on my site (from the 2005 movie Solaris) is done in Flash, chosen for its unobtrusiveness, and is purposely set low in volume (it might be playing, and you just haven't noticed it!). Turning off Javascript will often disable Flash, as well as turning off Flash (or never downloading the plug-in in the first place).
That's why it felt familiar. I remenber it building the athmosphere in that movie.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:47 PM   #28
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
This Solaris soundtrack seems to be all over the place. I am reading in a hifi forum, and there was somebody searching for the vinyl version some days ago.
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:19 PM   #29
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

I'd be surprised to see that on vinyl! (Actually, I'm surprised that many people know the soundtrack, considering how few saw the movie!) I just snagged my recording off the DVD.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:32 AM   #30
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Well Steve, at least you are getting traffic. I didn't actually mind the music. I did find an easy way to get rid of it though, just mute your sound settings in the task bar. It might be a low tech solution to a high tech problem but it works for me.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote