Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
borisb
Edge User

Post Dingo 1.6 Update Now Available

The minor Dingo 1.6 update is now available for download.

If you're having problems getting the update, remember that first you download it, then later you install it - two separate steps (http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...blems-Updating).

Old 11-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
szegan
Edge User

I've just finished the update. :-)

What has changed with the global search of library? It was enabled before already... Btw, it would be cool if we would be able to access the Info/Edit tags/TOC... popup menu also for the search results.

Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
borisb
Edge User

You can now find Library content using the Google search widget on the LCD home screen, I think. If you go into Settings - Search - Searchable Items, you can now check off "Library" and add it to the list of places Google search will look.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Except it does not work. No content from the library is pulled up when using the Google desktop search.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:51 AM   #5
janvangastel
Edge User

It took my Edge 45 minutes or more to downlaod the update. Is this normal?

Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 05:01 AM   #6
alefor
Edge User

I had the same experience.... Slow download. But having the percent counter does help alleviate anxiety. Once it is downloaded, I found installation quite quick.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:23 AM   #7
szegan
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
Except it does not work. No content from the library is pulled up when using the Google desktop search.
Yep, same experience here. Anyway, in the release note borisb has linked here it is written:
"Global search of library is now enabled. To search, select Library, press the Search icon at the top right. A keyboard opens to enter the search term. Items matching the search term are displayed." - So, what has changed by the update? ;-)

Old 11-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
sarah11918
Edge User

Just checking that no one has experience a problem that makes them wish they didn't upgrade. I'm always such a chicken when it comes to the upgrades.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
alefor
Edge User

I used my eDGe quite a bit after the upgrade (admittedly only 12hrs so far), and so far no regrets at all. Maybe just my imagination, but it seems a bit "snappier" than before, same boot time (100seconds), and it seems to be better behaved when waking up from sleep. All of this may be just in my head....I dunno yet. But certainly, no regrets.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #10
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by szegan View Post
Yep, same experience here. Anyway, in the release note borisb has linked here it is written:
"Global search of library is now enabled. To search, select Library, press the Search icon at the top right. A keyboard opens to enter the search term. Items matching the search term are displayed." - So, what has changed by the update? ;-)
Yes, you're right - that was always there (and it was working for me before, too). Like Cheyenne says, the Google desktop search, even with "Library" selected in the Search Options, doesn't seem to pull any results. I'll have to put in Help Request to find out what's going on with that.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
kenjennings
Edge User

The download seemed unnaturally long last night -- about half an hour. The previous update downloaded in a few minutes.
Either the server was slow (a lot of concurrent downloads?) or the update file was huge.
Does anyone know the real size of the downloads for the last updates?

Otherwise, the update itself went fine.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #12
borisb
Edge User

I think it's a couple of hundred megabytes. It did seem slower. Mind you, enTourage has been selling these eDGes steadily, so more and more units are going to pulling down the update at about the same time. Download speed isn't that critical, especially considering how expensive it can be to add server capacity for use on one day every 1-2 months...

Old 11-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #13
kenjennings
Edge User

Couple Hundred Megabytes?!?! I think it would have taken hours to move that over wifi.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #14
borisb
Edge User

as in 100-200 MB. Wifi isn't that slow - I can download a gigabyte in about an hour on my laptop (which, admittedly, has 802.11n). In any case, the file size doesn't really matter as a 10 Mb file that takes 30 minutes to download is "larger" than a 100 Mb file that takes 15 minute to download, right?

Old 11-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #15
Ben
Edge User

Im not sure its related, but I used my EE yesterday and was reading my coursework fine, after the update I went to read a few chapters before bed and some of the files in my folder with my coursework were corrupted, I couldnt delete them, so I copied off the good files and grabed the good versions of the corrupted files off of a memory stick and then reformatted the SD card with a full format, not a quick one on a computer... Im back up but would suggest removing the SD card before update... if this was documented, oops... if not, would be a nice addition to the EE to have the device auto unmount the card before performing any OS upgrade...

Thanks,
Ben