Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-21-2011, 01:29 AM   #1
Tunney
Tunney began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge, & nook
Amazing machine! (plus silly Android Question)

Just got my PE on monday and it is a truly wonderful machine! I got it from Tiger Direct--was on sale for 109USD. Its an utterly original device that suits my needs extremely well. I'm a writer, and I find it incredibly useful in marking up and correcting texts in the eInk screen--I just import one of my files as a PDF through Calibre on my laptop, and open it in the PE, and enjoy hours of non-LCD screen editing! Almost like working on paper.

As I see here on the forums, there is a lot of discussion on the upgrade question--but for me, I see no reason for taking a chance on that because Dingo seems to be quite fine. Of course, that might change, but in the past 2 days, I have got so much work done, I wouldn't want to spoil that. Plus, if I want to watch videos or play Angry Birds, there is always the laptop.

Question: This might be a silly one, but I already searched, and couldn't find an answer.--Is it possible to launch an App on one of the desktops, I'm specifically thinking Docs to Go, work on it, then go to the main desktop for something else, then just go right back to the second desktop with Docs to Go and continue where you left off? Like the multiple desktops in Linux? It seems that every time I launch an app, just switching to another means that if I go back, its closed. Is there a Dingo equivalent to just minimalizing an app, switching to something else, then coming back like on a PC? Or is the Android experience completely different....I just need a way to coordinate the eInk screen and the LCD screen in a more productive manner.

Thanks! (And again, thanks to all the useful EE and PE users out there who filled this forum with the good advice I already used for my new PE)

Tunney

Last edited by Tunney; 09-21-2011 at 01:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Tunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:37 AM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hi Tunney, and welcome!

I can't really answer your question, but I think it is a good one. The home screen/desktop switching won't work -- I'm pretty sure about that -- but I've noticed that some of the newer Android devices have a way to see what other apps are running and to switch between them, so maybe there is an app for that. I have also noticed that at least some of the apps I use (browser included) pick up right where I left off when I return to use them again. In other words, I'm not really closing an app when I hit the home button or the back button to go to another one, which is not the same as minimizing, but it is also not the same as closing a program on a PC.

Good luck, and let us know if you come across a nifty way to toggle apps!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
I think that whether an App closes or opens back up at the same spot it left off has something to do with the particular App. For example: I can "close" my browser by pressing the Home Screen button and then "open" the App again by pressing the icon and it will display the same page I was on before I closed it. Unfortunately, Docs to Go does not seem to support this option. However, Mobile Office Suite Suite Pro does. You can work on a document and hit the Home Screen button and then "open" Office Suite Pro and it will go right back to whatever document, spreadsheet etc. that you are working on. Here is a link to an older version that should work with Dingo:

http://www.4shared.com/file/vGUhMw7D...itePro303.html
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
you will need the ermine android 2.1.
you will find javese lcd2ink app indispensable. also picsel office works for me the best.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Tunney, Question: This might be a silly one, but I already searched, and couldn't find an answer.--Is it possible to launch an App on one of the desktops, I'm specifically thinking Docs to Go, work on it, then go to the main desktop for something else, then just go right back to the second desktop with Docs to Go and continue where you left off? Like the multiple desktops in Linux? It seems that every time I launch an app, just switching to another means that if I go back, its closed. Is there a Dingo equivalent to just minimalizing an app, switching to something else, then coming back like on a PC? Or is the Android experience completely different....I just need a way to coordinate the eInk screen and the LCD screen in a more productive manner.
The main menu of docstogo has a Desktop sync selection.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Tunney
Tunney began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge, & nook
thanks!!

Thanks for the replys and the Suggestions!
I'm having loads of fun getting around this machine, and figring out how it works is yeally interesting!
Totally beyond my understanding how this device could go out of business. Then again to each his own...I guess what works well for someone like me is too specific for the mass market. Also, I couldn.t affordone of these when they first came out, so there are aall sorts of reasons, I guess...
Thanks again!
Tunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
After thinking about it, I think this is what you are trying to do. To quickly switch between Apps press and hold the HOME button on the LCD which will quickly bring up Recent Apps opened. I tried this with a Word Document pulled up in Docs to Go and was quickly able to switch to another App and then I long pressed the HOME button again and I was able to go right back to my Word Document in Docs to Go. The trick is to open up whatever App or Apps you plan on switching between (returning to the Home Screen each time you launch another App) and then finally launch Docs to Go and then press and hold the HOME button to quickly switch between all Apps.

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-22-2011 at 05:22 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:37 AM   #8
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Good tip, Obsessed! I keep forgetting about holding down the Home button! Very useful --as long as you remember!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote