Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
What are your reading plans for the new year?

Does anyone have any plans for what they want to read or buy next year? I over-bought last year because I panicked and stock-piled in the days before the agency fiasco, so I have a huge backlog of unread books. That, plus my two libraries I borrow from (Toronto and Philadelphia) mean that unless a favourite author comes out with a new release I simply must have, I am going to drastically curtail my spending this year and read what I have. Here are the first on my list:

- I want to continue my one Smashwords book a week reviews. I took a break for the holidays since I was traveling and can't write on somebody else's computer but I have been enjoying this project and want to continue it.

- GraceKrispy also posted about a 'read ten free books' challenge. Again, I am not at home, so I did not look into this fully. But it is on my list to check out once I am home.

- I have some series to finish so I can clear those collections off my Kindle. Lemony Snicket, JD Robb (these are re-reads) and the Star Trek novels (these are mostly re-reads too) are first on my list! I can get through one of any of these books in one sitting, so I am going to just work my way through...

- I have a huuuuuuuge backlog of magazines from Fictionwise to get through. I subscribed at one point to three of them, enjoy them, but have to be in the right mood to read short fiction, and I guess I was not in the mood often enough This is another collection I would like to clear off my Kindle.

- I want to try one of those 'read the bible in a year' programs, and have downloaded an iPad app for it.

- New releases I will definitely buy: Stephen King, Nora Roberts/JD Robb, Sue Grafton, Connie Willis, Douglas Coupland. Other than that, I'll wait for the library to pick it up.

So, anybody else want to share their reading plans for the new year?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Last year for me was all about long series. This year I plan to focus mainly on short stories. Baen webscriptions look really good.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Just to read and enjoy.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My only plan is to have absolutely no reading "plan".

More power to those who can map out their schedule - or conform to a reading "challenge". But a big chunk of my enjoyment is a result of randomness. I hardly ever know what I'm going to read next. I finish a book... do some research... make a purchase... read that purchase. Lather, rinse, repeat.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
My plan is to just read.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakuzaboss View Post
My plan is to just read.
Hey... You've stolen my plan...

Even though I've decided to join the 100 in 2011 challenge, I'm not going to let it get in the way of just plain reading.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I want to start posting ebook reviews, and am a bit stuck about where to start. I plan to read more Smashwords content, buy a few things from Baen I've been looking at, and look for creative commons nonfiction to include in the ebook library I'm putting together for my daughter's school.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I read a lot of non-fiction the first three months of 2010, and not so much fiction the rest of the year.

I'm now in the mood to go back to non-fiction for a while, but I got a number of fiction books for Christmas, and I won't wait too long to dive into them.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
I have some challenges on another forum that I will be doing again this year, but the only thing I'm adding new is that I want to try at least one new (to me) author every month. I tend to stay with what I know I like rather than branching out to new stuff, so I'm going to try to "broaden my literary horizons" a bit this next year!
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Hey... You've stolen my plan...

Even though I've decided to join the 100 in 2011 challenge, I'm not going to let it get in the way of just plain reading.
I also joined the 100 in 2011 challenge but only to see how far I can go with my reading.

Last edited by yakuzaboss; 12-30-2010 at 12:53 PM.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Before getting my reader in May, I had not read for pleasure for several years (it's a disability thing that having a reader addresses). I have a huge backlog of books to enjoy, some of which I had listened to, but still want to read.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:34 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Same as I did this year.
Same as I did last year.
Same as I did 50 years ago.

READ what I like

And lots of it
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #13
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I love 'free wheeling.' I use book forums a lot and love picking up recommendations. This is a new thing for me, since Borders closed down I no longer have a good local book store to browse covers and blurbs. Instead I have an eReader and love discussing books and have widened my range of favourite authors greatly.
I was tempted to take the next step and partake in reading challenges - but decided this is a step too far - will continue to impulse buy on recommendation.
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:48 PM   #14
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I want to focus on reading more of the classics (or what I perceive them to be).
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #15
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
I want to try to read at least 3 classics this year. I am thinking of re-reading War and Peace (it's been 15 years) but that is low on the priority list.

I have never really had a "reading plan" so to speak. I usually just pick up books that look interesting and read them :-) I am going to try to meet the 100 books in 2011 challenge this year :-) There are lots of good books out there to read - both fiction and non-fiction!
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote