Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
alee
Connoisseur
alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
NASA has free ebook on X-15

NASA has a free e-book, "X-15: Extending the Frontiers of Flight," here. It lists Kindle format, which is a .prc file, and "Sony Reader" format, which is a .pdf file. They also say that they'll have other aeronautics e-books here in the future.
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Very nice! Bookmarked and will check again in the future.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Great find! Wow 644 pages too!
uRwhatUr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Goodness...22.85 MBs for the PDF! Is the PRC DRM'd or non-DRM, anyone know?
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
Goodness...22.85 MBs for the PDF!
28.1 MB (29,475,571 bytes) for me
uRwhatUr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 11:10 PM   #6
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by uRwhatUr View Post
28.1 MB (29,475,571 bytes) for me
Oh crap, read that wrong. You're right, 28+ MB. Man that's a big file. Hopefully lots of pictures 'cus I can't stand to read a military hardware book with just text.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
MikeRo
Connoisseur
MikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
Goodness...22.85 MBs for the PDF! Is the PRC DRM'd or non-DRM, anyone know?
Converted just fine in calibre so I assume it's non-DRM.

Thanks to alee for a great find.
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:41 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I didn't realize the X-15 was a "she." I always thought of it as a "he." (I've tried to explain this kind of gendered insanity to my Peruvian wife, without any success. "Why isn't your computer a "she"?)

I see the PRC file is 10 megs.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-31-2010 at 05:46 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Great find. Thanks!
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alee View Post
NASA has a free e-book, "X-15: Extending the Frontiers of Flight," here. It lists Kindle format, which is a .prc file, and "Sony Reader" format, which is a .pdf file. They also say that they'll have other aeronautics e-books here in the future.
Thanks. As a kid, I reveled in the exploits of that experimental aircraft.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
stxopher
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I see the PRC file is 10 megs.
Yes, though to be honest it does contain a lot of pix. (including some useless ones of charts but mostly useful ones of people and tech.)
Old 02-01-2010, 05:03 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
Yes, though to be honest it does contain a lot of pix. (including some useless ones of charts but mostly useful ones of people and tech.)
I did download it, which I forgot to explicitly mention.

It looks very interesting.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I've tried to explain this kind of gendered insanity to my Peruvian wife, without any success.
I would have thought it was the other way around... like explaining the subjunctive to a native English speaker!

Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #14
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
The Sony version is PDF. The Nook version is EPub. I am downloading both - hopefully the EPub is good enough on my Sony to ditch the PDF.

The PDF is 28.1 MB. The EPub is 9.5 MB.

Robert

Last edited by rmm200; 02-05-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Add sizes
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I need some help here.

The EPub, at one third the size, looks as good to me on the Sony as the PDF. The pictures look great, the tables look as good.

Apparently NASA knows how to do EPubs.

I would like to see input from others more familiar with what makes a good EPub on this platform; For me EPub is the one I will keep on the device - even though NASA says it is for the Nook.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote