Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 04-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Audible/Amazon pricing discrepancies

I've been noticing occasional discrepancies in the prices of audiobooks at Audible and Amazon. I'm currently not an Audible member.

Here's one I noticed today:

Based on a True Story, by Delphine de Vigan
And another:

The Finishing School, by Joanna GoodmanBoth of the Amazon prices work out to 12.5 percent off. I've checked a few other Audible audiobooks at Amazon, and they all seem to show the same discount, or even an occasional somewhat greater discount.

I thought perhaps the Amazon prices are based on my being a Prime member, but I checked using a different browser where I'm not logged in, and the Amazon prices are still lower than the Audible prices.

I'm annoyed by the discrepancy on the one hand, but on the other hand, I can now use it to my advantage. Still, it seems pretty baffling.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:20 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I have one in my wishlist, Loving a Lost Lord by Mary Jo Putney shows as $10.95 at Amazon, whereas it is $18.17 at Audible. I haven't tried to buy it to see if the Amazon price sticks. (Because when I buy WSV titles via Amazon, the Audible portion is charged separately)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I have one in my wishlist, Loving a Lost Lord by Mary Jo Putney shows as $10.95 at Amazon, whereas it is $18.17 at Audible. I haven't tried to buy it to see if the Amazon price sticks. (Because when I buy WSV titles via Amazon, the Audible portion is charged separately)
Wow, that's a huge difference! Makes no sense.

I've never bought WSV titles at Amazon; usually I've gone through Audible so I could be sure that an Audible credit wouldn't be applied or that an Audible coupon balance would be.

I'm probably going to buy an audiobook through Amazon in the next few days, so I'll let you know what happens with the price.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
If you are not an Audible member (I'm not either), are they perhaps showing you (on Amazon) a price which includes a membership bonus, to make you want to join?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:10 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
If you are not an Audible member (I'm not either), are they perhaps showing you (on Amazon) a price which includes a membership bonus, to make you want to join?
No, it doesn't seem so, because they're also telling me I can get the book for free for joining Audible.
Advert
Old 04-26-2017, 06:46 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I buy WSV audio books from Amazon all the time. But you can also get the book from Amazon, then go to Audible and get the audio book. I have quite a few in my Audible WL that show the WSV price.

"Loving a Lost Lord" is a book I own at Amazon, maybe that's why I got the lower price on the audio book. Although if that was the case, the lower price should also show in Audible. *However, I just noticed that the Brooklyn library has the audio! So I don't need to buy it.

Last edited by booklover6; 04-26-2017 at 06:57 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:06 AM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I buy WSV audio books from Amazon all the time. But you can also get the book from Amazon, then go to Audible and get the audio book. I have quite a few in my Audible WL that show the WSV price.
Right, that's what I meant--I buy/borrow the ebook at Amazon and then go through Audible to get the Whispersync price instead of buying the audiobook as an Amazon add-on.

Quote:
"Loving a Lost Lord" is a book I own at Amazon, maybe that's why I got the lower price on the audio book. Although if that was the case, the lower price should also show in Audible. *However, I just noticed that the Brooklyn library has the audio! So I don't need to buy it.
No, I checked Loving a Lost Lord myself, and saw the same pricing discrepancy, and I certainly don't own it. I wonder what price Audible shows on that one for members--if it's the usual 30 percent off, that would still be more than the Amazon price.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:01 AM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
No, I checked Loving a Lost Lord myself, and saw the same pricing discrepancy, and I certainly don't own it. I wonder what price Audible shows on that one for members--if it's the usual 30 percent off, that would still be more than the Amazon price.
The member price is $10.95, the same as the Amazon price.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote