Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-22-2016, 08:37 AM   #1
ImYoric
ImYoric began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
How can I write a simple app?

Hi everyone,

I am a professional dev, but newbie on Kobo. I'd like to use my Glo in a variety of situation as a tool for generating random stuff – let's start with simply generating random numbers. Of course, I want to be able to continue using my reader for books.

My first attempt was to write an ebook with JS code, and use that JS code to generate the random numbers. Unfortunately, the reader apparently doesn't interpret JS, so that won't work.

So plan B is writing some kind of native app and adding it as some kind of widget to the main screen. I've seen around the forum that some people are coding with Qt and/or Python, but I have no idea where to start. I'm willing to use pretty much any programming language/toolkit.

Cheers
ImYoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:38 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You could use my WebPortal mod to do JS / CGI apps using Kobo's webbrowser (some sample apps included), only problem is by default the browser refuses to start when wifi is not available. (And if wifi is available you could use actual webapps if you're not doing anything that specifically has to run on the kobo itself locally).

Apart from that it's all about writing a program that somehow manages to talk to the eink framebuffer / touchscreen directly and using strange ways (inotify and such) to put them into the Kobo menu...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote