Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2013, 06:06 AM   #16
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
And the question that no one seems willing to ask - where do you get 25,000 books from anyway?

Not legally I suspect.
Jeez, every time anybody mentions having a lot of books there's always some holier-than-thou busybody who pops up and starts throwing around unfounded allegations. There are millions of legally available free books around. I could download 25,000 from Project Gutenberg right now, to mention just one source.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #17
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Back to the OP query, do Sony's ever get 'stuck' indexing a book that is maybe poorly formatted in the same way that Kindle's do? I believe the Kindle indexing is more complete than others because it allows you to search text in your entire library, but could this maybe be why bookp's T3 isn't adding more books?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #18
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
And while I might never drive above 30MPH I would have the expectation that my car could go pretty well as fast as it was advertised, just in case I was being chased by bandidos or had to rush someone to the hospital or possibly venture out on the freeway.

Helen
May I just interject to politely say that if you don't drive at 30MPH then you should get the hell off the roads because you're driving WAY too slow and you're going to kill someone. .

40MPH is around 60kph so.....you get the picture. LOL
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
And the question that no one seems willing to ask - where do you get 25,000 books from anyway?

Not legally I suspect.
Here we go again... take a look at a "possibly" legal site called "Amazon" which does at least between 1500 and 2500 freebies per month so probably less than a year gets you that number of titles alone without even getting to Baen, PG and loads of other places - perhaps from you should be
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #20
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
I feel like it's false advertising. If a device can't handle anything over what a 2gig card can carry, they shouldn't advertise that it can take a larger card.
I think you forget that many professional books and catalogs are pdf files and often very, very large. This is the audience that they are addressing with the large sd card space, not the folks with 25,000 books. It's the indexing that is causing you problems, not the sum total of the files. That indexing probably does have a limit on your unit.

Now,I would not even have thought of this, but it is how my uncle uses his reader.It's not quantity of files, but size of files. Also, I noticed them doing the same thing in the ER last week - Much of the medical library is on ereaders to make it easier for medical personnel to access it, which makes sense when there are a limited number of computer stations available.

Last edited by Tarana; 12-08-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #21
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
May I just interject to politely say that if you don't drive at 30MPH then you should get the hell off the roads because you're driving WAY too slow and you're going to kill someone. .

40MPH is around 60kph so.....you get the picture. LOL
Actually I said above and that I would need to go faster on the freeway. And I am not much of a driver these days living in a city with great transit. But if a car only was capable of 25% of its advertised speed, there would be a great hue and cry I am thinking.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #22
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I think you forget that many professional books and catalogs are pdf files and often very, very large. This is the audience that they are addressing with the large sd card space, not the folks with 25,000 books. It's the indexing that is causing you problems, not the sum total of the files. That indexing probably does have a limit on your unit.

Now,I would not even have thought of this, but it is how my uncle uses his reader.It's not quantity of files, but size of files. Also, I noticed them doing the same thing in the ER last week - Much of the medical library is on ereaders to make it easier for medical personnel to access it, which makes sense when there are a limited number of computer stations available.
While Sony only lists the size for the T3 past models with the same capacity (PRS-650) are specified to carry up to 50,0000 books, Kobo specifically states 30,000 books. Less prominently these days but still states this on their website.

And while the indexing may be the problem, I have no trouble with twice as many books.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #23
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Kobo specifically states 30,000 books

Oh, it's an advertising issue! Got it.

There are other reasons to have an entire library on a kindle. Maybe you lend your kindle and library to someone who doesn't have downloading capability or even a computer for that matter. Many, MANY of the older folks I meet up with who have readers actually have their reading content sideloaded by their grandkids. Many of these grandkids live out off state, so it makes sense for them to have hundreds of books to choose from. So, it's good to know what the limits are and ways to perhaps get around them (especially ways to meet the advertised claims).

Last edited by Tarana; 12-08-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #24
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Jeez, every time anybody mentions having a lot of books there's always some holier-than-thou busybody who pops up and starts throwing around unfounded allegations. There are millions of legally available free books around. I could download 25,000 from Project Gutenberg right now, to mention just one source.
Take hundreds of Amazon freebies a day, Gutenberg's library or even from here, regular puchases for various series people follow, Fictionwise in it's heyday, coupon codes and then add in 20 years of collecting fanfic from various fandoms... (Of which I can read anywhere from 30-200 stories a week, if I run across and delete a lot of stories that don't start off well...They're free so I can easily purge anything as I go that doesn't look interesting...)

Why is that so hard to imagine?

Seriously, if you can't find thousands of free reads everywhere, you can't really be trying very hard.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #25
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
Take hundreds of Amazon freebies a day, Gutenberg's library or even from here, regular puchases for various series people follow, Fictionwise in it's heyday, coupon codes and then add in 20 years of collecting fanfic from various fandoms... (Of which I can read anywhere from 30-200 stories a week, if I run across and delete a lot of stories that don't start off well...They're free so I can easily purge anything as I go that doesn't look interesting...)

Why is that so hard to imagine?

Seriously, if you can't find thousands of free reads everywhere, you can't really be trying very hard.
Did you mean to quote me?
Old 12-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #26
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Did you mean to quote me?
Just adding on to what you were already saying.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #27
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

OK - sorry!
Old 12-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #28
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I have no problems downloading free epub books or epub books with adobe DRM onto my T1 using wifi connection and T1 web browser. About only way to make this easier is if I could connect a light powered keyboard via USB or Bluetooth. It is very easy to load library books onto Sony readers.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote