Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-19-2013, 03:18 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
B&N Nook Glow gets price drop to $99

It's been reported by our members several days ago, but somehow we missed the news. Barnes and Nobles is selling its NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight for US $99 - that's $20 off its original price. There is nothing particularly special about this reader, but if you're still looking for a cheap entry into the world of E Ink, you might want to give this one a try.

What does the price cut mean? It could mean that B&N is clearing inventories ahead of a new reader launch. It could also mean that the company is facing increased pressure from its competitors, anticipating new devices to hit the market soon from Amazon, Kobo, et al.

[via I Love My Kindle]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
If they are still clearing their warehouses after all the price slashing they've done in the last few months then they REALLY screwed up in their ordering department. All the nook readers are pretty good but the support side is inferior and don't even mention that blasted 30 pin cable for the HD+.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Well they sold out of them shortly after launch, so they must have re-ordered millions more. And then the Paperwhite came out with the better light, and the Nook Glow tanked.

I would love to play with one but not for more than $40-50 max. The screen fragility issue is well known and concerns me a lot more than the 30 pin connector on the HD+
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I really hope this means their next Gen NOOK is on their way. I still buy from the NOOK ebook store, and while I use Calibre to sideload to my Sony, there are times I'd like to just impulse buy and read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
All the nook readers are pretty good but the support side is inferior and don't even mention that blasted 30 pin cable for the HD+.
Yeah, those wacky cables have kept me from splurging on the regular HD, even though I've liked it since before the Google Play integration. I don't want to get stuck with a device with no way to charge it, no matter how nice the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The screen fragility issue is well known and concerns me a lot more than the 30 pin connector on the HD+
And this is what has kept me from the Glow. Too bad, as I really like the ergonomics of the ST line. My Sony T models, even tough they are plastic now, have been quite durable. Since my readers travel in my purse, I can't afford to deal with fragile screens.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The screen fragility issue is well known and concerns me a lot more than the 30 pin connector on the HD+
I have both of them and use the Glowlight without any concerns but I worry everytime I plug that stupid cable into the HD+. I would not have bought it if I had known about the cable being so difficult to find.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I have both of them and use the Glowlight without any concerns but I worry everytime I plug that stupid cable into the HD+. I would not have bought it if I had known about the cable being so difficult to find.
That's one reason I sold the Nook Color....I was afraid of the many, many reports of that cord getting broken. The one for the HD seems much sturdier!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
anationalacrobat
anationalacrobat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless + Nook Color + Nook HD+
I think the issue with the glow screen fragility was mainly at launch, wasn't it? Those seem to be older threads where people were having that issue.

As far as the tablet cords, I bought a Nook color when it first came out. I didn't have an issue with mine until last month. Then I just went to B&N and bought a new one for $10. Not a huge deal for me.

I also recently bought a new HD+, and was more upset about the proprietary cable! I thought in this day and age that a standard micro USB would be used, but no such luck!
anationalacrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by anationalacrobat View Post
I also recently bought a new HD+, and was more upset about the proprietary cable! I thought in this day and age that a standard micro USB would be used, but no such luck!
Unfortunately, I think it still seems to be common to use proprietary chargers on tablets, especially larger tablets. I think the Nexus 10 used a micro-USB charger, but they also had some issues with slower charging. When I was doing research about a year ago looking to buy a tablet, a micro-USB seemed NOT to be the norm for tablets.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Unfortunately, I think it still seems to be common to use proprietary chargers on tablets, especially larger tablets.
Yeah, Samsung uses a proprietary cable for the Galaxy Tabs.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I've been thinking about going "lit" with the paperwhite or this [I like my nook str, but don't "love" it], but we'll see. I have too many readers as it is
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote