Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #16
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I don't know where you live, but in my US hometown the Indie bookstore I always used when I lived there has the Kobo Glo.
I live in the middle of nowhere. No bookstores here at all. I can get to big box stores or shop online....
rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #17
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhigh View Post
I live in the middle of nowhere. No bookstores here at all. I can get to big box stores or shop online....
I live 20 minutes from the capital city of CT, and the closest indy bookstore is an hour away.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #18
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
I live in Eastern NC, which is about as rural and country as it gets these days, and there were 4 bookstores within an hours drive that had multiple Kobo Glo's in stock when I was out looking to buy one. It's not a geography thing so much as whether or not a particular bookstore wishes to enroll in the program. I did notice when I looked at the list of participating stores on the indiebound website that it had grown a good bit since I purchased my Kobo. Just out of curiousity, I looked it up and they show quite a few bookstores in the Hartford Ct area, some of which state they sell the Kobo.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #19
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcecreamLtDan View Post
I live in Eastern NC, which is about as rural and country as it gets these days, and there were 4 bookstores within an hours drive that had multiple Kobo Glo's in stock when I was out looking to buy one. It's not a geography thing so much as whether or not a particular bookstore wishes to enroll in the program. I did notice when I looked at the list of participating stores on the indiebound website that it had grown a good bit since I purchased my Kobo. Just out of curiousity, I looked it up and they show quite a few bookstores in the Hartford Ct area, some of which state they sell the Kobo.
Hmm...when I looked on the kobo website, I found 1 that was within an hour of Hartford, and 2 that were a little over an hour away. The closest one to Hartford is at the main UCONN Co-op in Storrs, which is about 40 minutes from Hartford. The 2 next closest are about an hour away. The only time I will drive more than 20 minutes for shopping is if I am going somewhere that I can get a lot of shopping done. Unfortunately, none of the three bookstores listed are in an area where there is anything else. The one exception is possibly the one in Madison--I may stop in there if I go down to the beach, and if I can find parking anywhere in downtown Madison. (Parking is always a problem there)

Shari

Last edited by shalym; 06-06-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #20
shalym
Wizard

My point in posting this stuff about distances is that the Kobo isn't easily available to look at. I would to check one out, but I don't know anyone who has one, and I don't have time to drive that far just to look at an e-reader.

I might do it if there weren't many others available to look at in stores that are much closer to me, and I'd bet that many others would, too. If you ask most people about E-readers in the US, they are going to talk about Kindle or Nook. I actually knew someone who had a Sony a couple of years ago, but she switched to Nook when her Sony died.

So...is Kobo ignoring the US because they figure that they've lost the market here already, so they're focusing on the rest of the world? Or is it just that they don't know how to try to break in to the US Market? Why are they no longer selling anywhere but independent bookstores in the US? (and they don't even sell at all independent bookstores, just a select few)

Shari
Advert
Old 06-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #21
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
My point in posting this stuff about distances is that the Kobo isn't easily available to look at. I would to check one out, but I don't know anyone who has one, and I don't have time to drive that far just to look at an e-reader.

I might do it if there weren't many others available to look at in stores that are much closer to me, and I'd bet that many others would, too. If you ask most people about E-readers in the US, they are going to talk about Kindle or Nook. I actually knew someone who had a Sony a couple of years ago, but she switched to Nook when her Sony died.

So...is Kobo ignoring the US because they figure that they've lost the market here already, so they're focusing on the rest of the world? Or is it just that they don't know how to try to break in to the US Market? Why are they no longer selling anywhere but independent bookstores in the US? (and they don't even sell at all independent bookstores, just a select few)

Shari
The independent bookstores sell more than eReader hardware. They sell paper books, children's books, toys, puzzles and games, stationary and eBooks too. When it comes to eBook sales, Kobo in the US simply acts as their wholesaler.

Many of us want to see these small, independent shops survive due to the value they add to reading in general and services to the reading community, things like author readings, hosted book clubs, coffee shops and meeting space plus writer's forums. What specific services a bookstore has depends on the particular bookstore.

Kobo was founded by a large independent Canadian book store. They designed what they felt was a better eReader, one they would themselves want to use, and an entire service designed specifically for enthusiastic readers.

Kindles are good too, I know because I have a pile of them, but I want my local bookstore to still be around because it provides many things to me and my community that Amazon cannot.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #22
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's the list I was referring to, this is just the list of independent bookstores that are selling the Kobo.

http://www.indiebound.org/ebooks

The home page has a link where you can search for all independent bookstores in your area, not just those that sell the Kobo. The problem isn't that Kobo only sells to a few independent bookstores, it's that only a few independent bookstores signed up to participate in the Kobo program.

The bookstore I got mine from explained to me that they don't make a whole lot of money on the Kobo program, but it has brought more customers into the store, me for instance. I had never heard of the store until I started doing research to find a Kobo Glo. Apparently I was not the only one and they have now sold several. I've returned to that store a time or two and purchased things there. The owner remembers me because of my emails asking about the Kobo and refers to me as "The Kobo Guy"!

They had decent brand exposure through Borders when that was still around, it's how I got my first Kobo. When Borders disappeared they were left without a way to really continue in the US market and decided to create the independent bookstore program. Will it work? Only time will tell, I do know it worked for me.

Last edited by IcecreamLtDan; 06-06-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #23
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Apparently Powell's will ship everywhere in the US (through their online store powells.com). Several posters on other threads have bought their Kobos there. No Auras available though. Free shipping through Father's Day right now...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #24
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Bookstore? What's a bookstore?
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #25
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Bookstore? What's a bookstore?
That's funny. For the first time in a verrrrry long time, I went into a secondhand bookstore on Saturday (they also have some first-run books). It was an adventure. I forgot what it was to search and look for books in a physical environment.

Of course, since I was there, I did purchase a book - even though it was a little over-priced. I had no idea that place had moved into the shopping center. But, it was a nice surprise.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #26
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
When utilizing lists of U.S. bookstores which are said to carry the Glo, I've had to be empirical. In New York City alone, a series of quick phone calls will confirm that only one of the stores listed by the ABA does in fact carry the Glo (and that certain of the stores themselves no longer exist).

I'm hoping the Aura becomes de rigeur for Kobo next year, and that Powell's excellent discount on the Glo and official case will be recapped a year after that with the Unlimited Aura. A man can dream, after all (insert Victorian etching of wingéd Auras flying to various MR members' homes).
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #27
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
That's funny. For the first time in a verrrrry long time, I went into a secondhand bookstore on Saturday (they also have some first-run books). It was an adventure. I forgot what it was to search and look for books in a physical environment.
I was out shopping with my youngest and we passed a B&N. We stopped into the store. They had a tablet right where you entered the store and he did not move past that display until I surrendered and we left.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #28
hampshirehog
hampshirehog began at the beginning.

Device: none
My Kobo Touch has suffered from "freeze" for some months, ever increasing frequency. It has now reached the stage where it freezes/crashes every page or two. Restarting opens at page 1 every time. Followed all Kobo instructions to reset and to restore to factory settings several times. Same fault recurs. Spoke to Kobo help line - no help at all, just repeated reset/restore instructions. Next instruction - as it is over a year old and there is no repair service, just toss it in the trash.
Kobo have just lost a customer, going to get me a decent tablet.
hampshirehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:49 AM   #29
Yamada
Enthusiast
Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad; K1/2/DX; Some Sony thing I bought at Yodobashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcecreamLtDan View Post

Not by a long shot, and especially if you've never left your respective county.
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #30
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie

I've lived in 15 of our states and 1 other country to boot. No expert of course, but I think I have a clue.