Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you feel about DRM?
DRM doesn't bother me. As long as I can read a book on a computer I don't care. 18 6.41%
DRM is evil and should be done away with entirely. 200 71.17%
Quit whining about DRM, it's a dead horse. 13 4.63%
If DRM were a dead horse, DRM would be dead. 9 3.20%
DRM is a useful tool that prevents piracy. 4 1.42%
Some other option not thought of for this poll 37 13.17%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #181
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How do libraries operate without DRM? How do books expire at the end of the loan period?
They don't expire. It's an honor system.

http://sanantonio.lib.overdrive.com/...enEPUB-PDF.htm

If you belong to FLP, you can do an advanced search for Open ePUB books. They have hundreds.

http://freelibrary.lib.overdrive.com...rtBy=Relevancy

J.A. Konrath's books are Open ePUB on OverDrive, for example.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #182
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Added: Is an honor system really so shocking? The tools to break Adobe DRM on library books are the same as the tools to break Adobe DRM on bought books. It comes down the same thing: DRM doesn't stop dishonest people, but it does annoy honest people who have to reformat their Nook every 6 months because B&N can't handle the concept of credit card changes without borking the device.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #183
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
They don't expire. It's an honor system.

http://sanantonio.lib.overdrive.com/...enEPUB-PDF.htm

If you belong to FLP, you can do an advanced search for Open ePUB books. They have hundreds.

http://freelibrary.lib.overdrive.com...rtBy=Relevancy

J.A. Konrath's books are Open ePUB on OverDrive, for example.
Can't see too many commercial publishers going for that, myself. Although of course, the majority of people ARE honest, businesses have to acknowledge the regrettable fact that some people are not. That's why supermarkets have checkouts, and not just an "honesty box" at the door.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #184
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
No different than retail stores using security tags on their merchandise (though probably less effective).
Quote:
So you don't shop in any store that puts security tags on their goods?
The big difference is that shops remove the security tags when you buy the item.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #185
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The big difference is that shops remove the security tags when you buy the item.
Just as I remove the DRM when I buy an eBook .
Old 02-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #186
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
But you can agree that DRM is not the same as security tags in a store. Unless you hack the server or hack a credit card there is no way to steal an ebook. Not a good comparison, IMO.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #187
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
But one is illegal, the other is not.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #188
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
Not where I live, it's not.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #189
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
Suspected to be a criminal is just your fantasy - they want to protect their income, that is all.

Where are these great sources if 95% of quality literature is not offered there?
Great sources: Smashwords, Baen, Fictionwise, BooksforaBuck, DriveThru, Gutenburg, ManyBooks, Feedbooks, many authors and webzines offer excellent fiction...outstanding selection of works from classics to newer authors.

As for stores that tag merchandise, they remove the tags after I have purchased and I am free to do with whatever I wish with my goods as soon as I have left the store. That is a SALE.

Crippling products with DRM is NOT a sale, although it is deceitfully marketed as a sale. DRM vendors are essentially lying to everyone who "purchases" from them.

"Suspected to be a criminal is just your fantasy" --

Okay, let's back down the Santorum-esque <i>whargarble</i> a bit. If that is my "fantasy" -- you being the person who aspires to put words into my mouth and accuse me of some unstated motive -- let me say two can play that game:

Since it is your perhaps that readers should be thrilled to have DRM on their books, then perhaps it is your fantasy to be a shill for the DRM-infatuated publishers and vendors.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #190
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Can't see too many commercial publishers going for that, myself. Although of course, the majority of people ARE honest, businesses have to acknowledge the regrettable fact that some people are not. That's why supermarkets have checkouts, and not just an "honesty box" at the door.
Carina press does, though, as do -- I think -- the O'Reilly tech manuals folks.

Once again, the Techies and the Romancies seem to be ahead of the game on this stuff, imho.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #191
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
We've had enough of removing DRM is illegal. It's not illegal. No judge has ever ruled that it is illegal and the DMCA is just a jumble of contradictions.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #192
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
DRM is part of the myth that publishers can control information. In reality, they can't. DRM is next to irrelevant.
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #193
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by appypaddy View Post
I am vehemently opposed to DRM, and have never bought a single piece of DRM-controlled material..
That would be every DVD and every Bluray, at least as far as encrypted content...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #194
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
As long as it can be removed it's not relevant to me.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #195
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We've had enough of removing DRM is illegal. It's not illegal. No judge has ever ruled that it is illegal and the DMCA is just a jumble of contradictions.
In the U.S., breaking digital locks on DRM is clearly against the DMCA. Here's subsection 1201(a) of the Act:

Quote:
(a) VIOLATIONS REGARDING CIRCUMVENTION OF TECHNOLOGICAL MEASURES. (1)(A) No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title...
Subsection 1201(2) of the Act further states:

Quote:
(2) As used in this subsection—
(A) to ‘circumvent protection afforded by a technological measure’ means avoiding, bypassing, removing, deactivating, or otherwise impairing a technological measure; and

(B) a technological measure ‘effectively protects a right of a copyright owner under this title’ if the measure, in the ordinary course of its operation, prevents, restricts, or otherwise limits the exercise of a right of a copyright owner under this title.
And there have been civil cases where these sections were used and ruled on (a case against a company making dvd copying software comes to mind).

Here's the TL;DR version:

Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm