Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
Franky
Nameless Being

Help, I've got a bug!! A bug on my screen!!

After a year enjoying my DR800Sg, I suddenly got a bug on my screen.
it indeed looks like a small block with on both sides 5 legs.

it's not in a page and it is there constantly. No idea why, since the reader did't fall down of hit anything. We're very careful with them and there are reading great.

however, I still got a bug on the screen.

does anybody has this or know this? It there something to do against it?
or do I have to live with is. furthermore, does it get the rest of the family on my screen or will it stay alone.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
I've had a problem on the DR1000 with a black horizontal line that initially didn't go away with refreshes/reboots. This happened after a full drain of the battery. On recharging it slowly faded though and it was completely gone on about a 60% charge level.

Your problem sounds more serious though, but you could always check if a full charge has any effect (if it isn't already fully charged). Other than that perhaps try flashing the firmware and see what happens?

BTW Does the bug disappear when you turn off the reader?

Last edited by rvs; 06-20-2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Added question
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 01:04 AM   #3
Franky
Nameless Being

Tnx for the reply.

the reader is fully charged and the bug is there,even when the reader is off.

flashing the firmware? it will sound stupid, but what exactly do you mean and what do I have to do?
Old 06-21-2011, 03:32 AM   #4
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
I'm afraid this sounds like a burst capsule. One of the Eink capsules has broken and the black pigments have filled up the small gaps between the other capsules. This should only happen if there has been put a lot of pressure on a capsule.
I don't think this would have been covered by warranty (if iRex still existed)
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky View Post
flashing the firmware? it will sound stupid, but what exactly do you mean and what do I have to do?
Given pauli's comment I'd say chances are down to zero (from very slim) this will help.

But if you're interested anyway, you can get the firmware from here (you would need to find out which firmware you're using right now, which is in Settings - Device Information, 2.0 = 'beta' and 1.x = 'embedded'). Follow the instructions in the installation notes. After reinstalling the firmware you would also need to reinstall all the 3rd-party programs (like fbreader) again and it might be a good idea to back up global.db because I'm not sure if this file is overwritten.

Sorry about your device. Do you still have a working backup device (since you refer to it as 'them')?
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert